“Total luxury worth the money”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Total luxury worth the money”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Pure class of a hotel,complete and utter luxury from the moment you arrive!The staff are fantastic from checking in too leaving they couldn't do enough.It was my wife's 40th and we were staying for two nights so I emailed them the day before to let them know,upon arriving we were shown to our room where a small chocolate birthday cake a handwritten note was left by the reception staff wishing my wife happy birthday!.ideal location for shopping toe leave the front of the hotel and the shops are in front of you,only slight complaint was room didn't have a very good view but that was not going to give the hotel top marks,yes it's pricey but hey if you want the best you have to pay for it!! Finally the breakfast was lovely and the staff who served us were brilliant don't think of the cost just book it

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigalb2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Myself and my fiancé phoned and booked afternoon tea for my birthday. We arrived promptly and were shown to our lovely table. Everything was set out and ready for our arrival. We we're asked firstly which afternoon tea we would like (there are around 5-6... All sound wonderful) we chose The Grosvenor Afternoon Tea. Consisted if finger sandwiches, scones, butter, jam and clotted cream and mini deserts. When it first came I thought we would still be hungry but... You won't be.

Lovely touch. When I called and booked they asked was it for a special occasion. I answered it was for my birthday. They obviously made note of this as when they brought over the plates over it had a candle on it and they wished me happy birthday. Was very impressed.

Food was impeccable. My favourite was the blueberry macaroon. Was delicious!! I can't speak highly enough if the service and food.

Was £26 a head. For the service, food and setting, was well worth the money. Will be returning again.

Stayed November 2013
Manchester
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights for my wife's birthday. We booked directly and dinner was included both nights. The welcome was low key but warm, and the room comfortable. My only gripes were that the heating was hard to control, I would have preferred a separate shower (as opposed to an over the bath one) and the view was of the roof of the hotel. So not the best 5* accommodation but acceptable. I was also disappointed that we had to pay £35 to use the thermal spa. We chose not to as it seemed out of kilter to pay extra for this and we hadn't read great reviews of the spa.
The first night we ate in the Brasserie. The room lacked a bit of atmosphere but then it was a Monday and it was pretty empty. The food however was excellent and was on a par with other fine dining restaurants.
The second night we opted for the tasting menu in Simon Radleys restaurant. This was beautiful food, great service and was very worthy of at least one Michelin star. The staff were excellent and Richard the young enthusiastic head waiter and Gary the sommelier both took time to chat and make us very welcome.

Overall I feel the Grosvenor is more than the sum of its parts as it somehow makes you like it. It could be the effortless way things happen, the informal but correct staff or the old fashioned courtesy with which we were treated or it could be the great food but we would happy to return.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Howdeb
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here by surprise for my 50th birthday; a surprise because I was booked in to a sister hotel which experienced a flood on the eve of my stay so was put up here instead. It was fabulous! The room we stayed in was complete luxury - the biggest bed we have ever experienced. The service was impeccable and room service breakfast was to die for. Also had a wonderful treatment in the spa - just delicious. Want to stay here again asap.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We visited here for my birthday for there afternoon tea event, and was totally blown away by the service that we received. It was a very enjoyable experience. A must visit if your ever close by. Me and friend were amazed at the vast array of different teas and coffees and just the attention to detail of the whole experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The ease of parking; help with our luggage; a wonderful room; delicious, beautifully presented food and outstanding service transformed this stop-over into a memorable experience. Brilliant, thank you.

Room Tip: The staff will be happy to advise you