“Christmas shopping break”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Halesowen
“Christmas shopping break”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two night break at this wonderful hotel. From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. From the doormen who welcomed us through to the managers, we were given wonderful hospitality.
We can not fault this hotel

Room Tip: If you want a room at the front of the hotel then it us advisable to telephone the hotel in advance...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Shropshire,UK
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Excellent location. Very good Spa but room not as good as I had thought it would be. We were in Chester for family research and some Christmas shopping and staying for one night. I booked the basic room at £165 a night. It was nicely decorated but small, overlooked the car park, windows didn't open [we like fresh air not air conditioning]. Bathroom was a reasonable size but there were rather unpleasant brown smears on the tiles [I asked the nice "turn down" lady to clean it and she kindly did so]. We had not come across the "hospitality tray" thing before but on asking if they had tea/coffee making facilities in the room or should we order morning tea they said they would send up a tray. On arrival at the room in the afternoon we asked the girl to send the tray up as soon as possible. After nearly an hour we rang down to see where it was and it eventually arrived. The tray did have a selection of a couple of teas, some coffee "sachets", 2 mugs and a pot plus sugar and a kettle. Morning paper delivered at a reasonable time.
The hotel didn't appear to be full of staying guests but bar/restaurants very busy. Upgrading would encourage people to come back. In addition, on arrival we wanted lunch in the Bar but all tables were fully booked as was afternoon tea. .Nice waiter suggested we sit at the bar on stools which we did. People were queuing for the Brasserie at lunchtime too. We had pre-booked the Brasserie for dinner. So do book everything in advance especially around Christmas time. It appeared there were no concessions for staying guests but the next day we found an area on the 1st floor where it appeared you could have food. No one told us this!
We have stayed in a lot of hotels in the last 6 weeks so perhaps had rather high expectations.
We shall look for somewhere else to stay when next visiting Chester.

Room Tip: Room 250. Rather small but their basic room price. 2 windows overlooking car park. Windows don't...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luka99
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in an Executive room as we were upgraded. I was staying with my mum so we had asked for a twin bedded room.

We were surprised how close together the beds were, a bit close for comfort in our opinion.

The room was clean and pleasant, nicely decorated. Not as large as we had expected.

We had thought there would be tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but there wasn't any. We discovered that you had to request complimentary facilities, which we did the first afternoon. We were provided with a kettle, a jug of fresh milk and a few tea/coffee sachets. These remained in our room for the 3 days, including the pot of milk. We were surprised that the milk wasn't removed/refreshed and the cups remained unwashed. Also there were no biscuits on the complimentary tray.

The cold tap in our room leaked around the base of the tap, making getting the right temperature difficult to attain.

However after all this, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was nice, and an especially nice change that it was waitress service instead of a luke warm buffet in most hotels.

We appreciated the fresh bottle of water each evening when the beds were turned down.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gingergirl67
Llandysul, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times over the years & loved it. But having read many of the reviews I was a bit concerned that perhaps it had changed!

I have to say though that it is as wonderful as ever. The staff are cheerful & polite. The rooms are clean, fresh & they really have thought of everything! (Hair bands, nail file, a section of the bathroom mirror that doesn't mist up!!)

I was a bit disappointed after reading some reviews that there was no tea/coffee facilities in the rooms. But after a quick read through the folder on arriving it clearly says a complimentary tea tray can be bought to your room. And once we had it they kept it well stocked throughout our stay.

My mum & I come every year to do our Christmas shopping & although we don't always stay here we do always book dinner in the brasserie & it's lovely. As for breakfast- continental is included & there is a great selection- you won't leave hungry!

We'll definitely be back & I hope some of the more negative comments on here don't put people off as it really is a wonderful place to stay.

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank GeoPatchy
Telford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is my 4th stay at the Chester Grosvenor, I booked a Christmas shopping break with my husband and an evening meal in the brasserie with family who live nearby (Simon Radley was fully booked). I chose a Classic room which was situated over Boodles and so quieter than on the front. The room was lovely almost a suite with hallway seperate bathroom with shower over bath and plenty of marble. Staff are very helpful and not at all stuffy even though they provide everything you want and the doorman was chatty and gave us some ideas where to go early evening. I love this hotel , it's situation right in the centre of the City is ideal for shopping, a choice of restuarants and now attached to it Rococo chocolate shop.Perfect

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne T
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Went for a spa day here today (29/11/13) with the girls.

It was a family members 60th birthday so there were 7 of us ranging in age from 29-60!

We started off having breakfast in the brasserie - hot chocolates and lattes with croissants and Danish pastries.

Although the food was nice I did feel it had been brought in frozen and was not served hot or even warm. The drinks were your average drinks...no special decoration on them and no flake or marsh mellows on the hot chocolate.

We attended at the spa for 10am...we were given a very warm welcome and explanation of how it all worked and where everything was.

The spa treatments were fantastic...we all had 30mins back massage and 30min facial for £65 each. One opted for a pedicure instead of a facial due to being pregnant.

Very Reasonable price for the quality of the treatments and the products and a nice little touch at the end with the refreshing fruit kebab.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only downside was to the actual spa facilities.

We already knew there was no actual swimming pool however we were under the impression that they had a jacuzzi but I accept this May have been an assumption on our part but it was however still disappointing.

They have a sauna, salt grotto, steam room, foot bath and thermal shower with ice.

There was a relaxation room but it only had 5 beds....we were told to double up when all of us were in there at the same time. However I think the expectation was when we were split into 2 groups where group 1 went for treatments the 2nd group had a bed each...but there were other guests there by this time who used the beds group one had left behind so it did feel awkward and cramped.

The relaxation room had plenty of bottled water and a fresh bowl of fruit for each guest to help themselves to.

The changing room was tiny with minute lockers - the 7 of us couldn't fit in there all at once and we had to take it in turns to get changed and cram our stuff into the lockers.
Some coats and bags had to be kept in a locked treatment room as there was just not enough room. Imagine the size of the inside of a small static caravan.

I think this is why possibly the package was reasonably priced.

I think upon booking the staff should explain the "bed sharing" issue in the relaxation room.

For the reputation of the establishment I had expected much more.

The treatment itself though was definitely worth £65 and I don't want my feedback to take away from that.

I would visit the spa again but perhaps book more treatments.

I would recommend the place for the spa treatments but if your looking for a day relaxing in a spa I think there are other places where you get a lot more for not that much more money.

7/10 - for the spa
10/10 - for the treatments

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LPLawJones
London
Reviewed 28 November 2013

A quick taxi ride from the train station and the approach past the town hall and cathedral via some small ancient streets raises the excitment of arriving at this rather grand hotel. Doorman at the ready and a quick check in saw me whisk upstairs to a lovely suite with separate sitting area and dining table. As a business trip there was little time to enjoy the room though I have to admit the bed was incredible it seemed to induce a deep peaceful sleep. Dinner was an exceptional experience -- clean distinctive flavours and elegant plates of food not smothered in excess. Sensational petit fours. A good way to get your barings and a quick bit of exercise is to walk the famed Chester Walls (the most complete in the UK?!) - take the steps just next to the hotel. This is obviously a shoppers dream destination and worth taking the car as I noticed a lift to the carpark directly behind the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business