My wife and I stayed here for two nights as part of a 21-day Scenic coach tour through England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland.
We welcomed the two-night stay as it was a bit o a "breather" along the way. Little were we to know how valuable and comforting this would prove to be.
The hotel is the absolute epitome in old-world service and this extends right throughout the property including, for example, the breakfasts. No buffet to share with the usual masses. No.
Just an outstanding breakfast served from a menu with white gloves to your table by professional staff. Think of your most desirable breakfast, cooked to your liking, ordered from a most wonderful wait staff and that's what you will receive.
More outstanding service was to come.
Prior to arriving at the Chester, my wife had picked up sort of stomach bug which made her quite ill. As a result, I rang reception at 11.30PM on that evening and a very nice young man asked about my wife's symptoms and said he would contact a doctor and that he would be in touch. Not much more than 30m minutes later the doctor was put in touch with us and, after speaking with my wife, advised her what to do. He then said he would ring at a specific time the very next morning in order to assess her as well as to arrange a visit soon after to examine her.
All of this happened and Dr Bodsworth ("Dr Bod") was true to his word. He was an older man with deep roots to the Chester district. That morning in our room he conducted a thorough examination of my wife - I was present - and he subsequently prescribed an anti-biotic and medication to sooth and settle her. I asked him about payment and he advised me that he would give an account to reception ($AUD150) which was very reasonable given the 3/4 hour he spent with my wife as well as the medication he supplied to her. We can't thank him enough.
Someone else who we can't thank is the young man who took our call in reception late that night when we were quite fearful for my wife's health and welfare. I do not know this young man's name but he acted swiftly in order to help my wife so we cannot thank him enough.
Indeed, when I went to settle my bill prior to departing on the next leg of our tour to the Lakes District the very next morning, this same young man recognised my room number and was gracious and caring enough to ask after my wife's health. At least I was able to thank him in person or his swift action and caring service to us when we were so far from home.
I think this sort of professionalism exemplifies the whole ethos of the Grosvenor Hotel.
Should we ever get the opportunity we would definitely stay there again. We cannot speak highly enough of the entire establishment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of beautiful Chester, the Grade II listed building, with its black and white timbered façade belies the modern elegance of the interior. The hotel offers both relaxed Parisian style dining and an exquisite Michelin star experience along with luxurious bedrooms and a heavenly spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Chester Grosvenor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chester Grosvenor Hotel Chester
- The Hotel Chester
- The Chester Grosvenor Cheshire