“A little girl's dream becomes reality”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Lincolnshire, UK
“A little girl's dream becomes reality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

When I was a small child I used to visit Chester regularly during school holidays whilst visiting relatives who lived in the area. Every Saturday I used to walk past The Chester Grosvenor and imagine myself staying there one day.....

Well that little girls dream became reality this week when, after telling my husband about my childish imaginings, he booked us a 2 night stay through Secret Escapes and I have to say I was not disappointed. The hotel is very plush and posh and the staff made us feel very welcome and perfectly comfortable in such opulent surroundings.

The room was very clean, well equipt for a comfortable stay and generous in size. The bed was enormous and offered a comfortable nights sleep.

We ate in La Brasserie during our first evening and the food was tasty, well presented and the service was excellent. The cocktails were delicious although rather expensive but this was a treat after all. We received 20% off our restaurant bill because we booked through Secret Escapes which was a bonus.

With its central location, comfortable rooms and total lack of "stuffiness", I would definately recommend The Chester Grosvenor to anyone looking to explore Chester for a short break.

If I had to give a negative it would be about having to pay extra for a cooked breakfast, this seems quite bizarre when other hotels of a lower star rating and cheaper tariff can stretch to including this in their room price...it does smack of being a little greedy and tight when you offer 5 start service but toast and jam for breakfast!

Room Tip: Room 220 is at the front of the hotel and offers a view of the clock. Virtually noise free and very...
1 Thank hutsonsonholiday

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

My wife booked this hotel as a surprise Birthday/Valentine treat, we stayed last night & it was excellent, starting from the wonderful reception when we pulled up outside the hotel and our bags were carried into reception and our car was taken to be valet parked. The doormen were welcoming and knowledgeable.
A swift check in whilst seated rather than stood at a desk was welcome and the hotel was explained to us and coffee in our room the next morning ordered.
The lifts are welcome after a long day but the wonderful sweeping staircase with its plush carpet and traditional decor and the even more wonderful chandelier has to been seen to be appreciated!
Our deluxe room (246) was to the rear of the hotel and very quiet. The window overlooked the shopping centre but was nice to get fresh air into the room. The room was well decorated, roomy and spotlessly clean, as was the marble bathroom. The bed was large & comfortable, the bed linen white, crisp & clean with pillows to die for!
We opted for the Indulgent Afternoon Tea - which was just that - a glass of champagne with strawberries & cream, followed by finger sandwiches with various fillings, scones with jam & cream, deliciously looking & tasting cakes & coffee or tea, all served at a leisurely rate by courteous but not pushy staff. OK its not cheap but we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.
We did not eat dinner at the hotel (wish we had, but that's another story!) but both the restaurants looked welcoming.
Coffee delivered to the room at 8.30am was hot and on time. Continental Breakfast was plentiful with tea or coffee, freshly squeezed juice, cereal, toast and a selection of bakery items served efficiently in lovely surroundings.
Checkout was not rushed and easy. The car was fetched and parked right outside for our convenience. The plentiful staff were friendly, courteous and helpful.
The hotel is set in an excellent location in the City Centre adjacent to all shops/bars/cafe's & town walls
All in all a fab experience and one we will be looking to repeat asap!
Some minor points to be aware of:
1. Use the directions from the hotel sent in their confirmation letter as it looks like the hotel is in a pedestrian area and can be difficult to find within the one way system, especially at peak times
2. Be aware that upon checking in they take £200 from your credit card for incidentals but is refunded when you check out
3. We had a quiet room at the back of the hotel but rooms on the front apparently can encounter noise on weekend evenings
4. In our room the shower was over the bath and the pressure wasn't the best
5. We found the general heat of the hotel a little warm but just our opinion
6. There are no drink making facilities in the room but if you ask a tray will be bought to the room but you do have to ask
7. At the time of our stay the tv kept freezing for a few seconds at a time which was a little annoying
8. If you wish to upgrade from Continental to Full English Breakfast it is an extra £7.50
None of the above points spoilt our experience and would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Apparently rooms to the back of the hotel are quieter
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We found the hotel through voyage prive and we were blown away by the service levels from the moment we arrived and had our car taken away by the doorman for valet parking.
The location is fantastic and within easy walking distance of great shops, coffee bars and tourist sites. The Gym is compact but has everything you need for a good work out before enjoying the fantastic full english breakfast on the menu including outstanding gloucester old spot sauasges and bury black pudding along with excellent fruits, juices and coffee. Mrs C enjoyed the spar treatments and the choice of menus in the resturants gives great choice if you dont want to venture out into Chester. However the little touches of no big desk as a barrier and the cashiers window at the time of payment make it a great venue to explore chester.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are very quiet.
Wall, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel while my sons soccer team was down the road at another modest hotel. The Chester Grosvenor is absolutely the cream of the crop in Chester... not only in reputation, but in delivery of service. The staff was friendly and generally excellent. By 2nd day, the doorman greeted me by name. Staff was actively hospitable in every way. I had a few special requests in terms of needing little bits of advice or help arranging transport and the Concierge took everything perfectly in stride. Chester is a busy touristy town, and the Grosvenor is an Oasis! Have fun on the streets and step into relaxation at this property.
Very Clean. Very Quiet. I highly recommend this hotel for anybody seeking a top notch stay in the town.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Beautiful building and great service. We booked through Secret Escapes. A spa weekend. The room was immaculate. The service was wonderful. The spa was amazing - best deep tissue massage I have ever received. The masseuse gave me a hug when I said I had traveled all the way from London for that massage, that whenever I went to a 'spa' in London, the massage was disappointing and the therapist seemed uninterested. I have an injury from an accident, this is why the spa was such a big deal. They even recommend a freelancer I could use in London. The spa was 5 star. Immaculate and was not crowded. Very well organised. They have great treatment rooms, and the thermal suit was nice. Hot and cold room, plus steam room. Brassarie was nice. Food was well executed, but a little pricey but we received 20% discount with Secret Escapes. The town was small and quiet. We found the hotel to be the highlight. I highly recommend.

One complaint which I forgot to raise with reception - the heat. It was on full. The AC was on full and we could not survive it. Thats in the middle of Feb! It was definitely cold outside, but I could swear it was 25 degrees indoors that I found it difficult to sleep. Could not open windows, they were jammed!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Oh my goodness where do I start?! My husband and I enjoyed a night at the Chester Grosvenor in a Deluxe room though a Secret Escapes deal. Pure luxury, perfect customer service - extremely friendly, not at all pretentious but impeccable service standards.... just perfect from the moment we arrived to when we left. It takes a special type of person to work in hospitality and every member of staff we came into contact with nailed it.

When we arrived and sat down at the desk to check in, we were asked if we would like a hospitality tray in the room which we did - I mention this because previous reviews have mentioned no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, if you request the hospitality tray they bring a tray with a kettle, cafetiere, fresh milk, teas and coffee to your room. Our tray arrived within 10 minutes of checking in. Our bags (including shopping bags) were taken from us, we were then shown the way to our room. The receptionist guided us around the room while the porter delivered the bags.

My husband hadn't ironed his trousers that were packed in his bag, the hotel does provide a pressing service but we just requested an iron and ironing board for the room and it was delivered within 5 minutes.

We ate in the brasserie. I didn't catch his name but I assume that he was the brasserie manager or supervisor, he was extremely friendly and professional. At breakfast we saw him again and mentioned that we were going to look around Chester as it was our first visit. He advised us on some sights and then brought us a map to the table and highlighted points of interest which was very useful.

The hotel is in the heart of the town centre right next to the clock on the walls. The décor is is traditional with a modern edge. It is immaculate and opulent.

Even though we were on a deal we were made to feel as special and comfortable as any full price paying guest. The whole point of these deals is to encourage people to visit the hotel and then to return. Well it worked because we are already planning our next visit, plus I intend to also return with my mother as I know that she will love this hotel too.

Room Tip: Say yes to the hospitality tray when you check in!
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

A superbly located luxury hotel. Traditional in style but immaculately maintained. We stayed in an executive room which was a good size and well equipped. Our bathroom despite being very clean was probablly in need of upgrading. Can't stand shower curtains !!! Lovely to have an entrance area with dressing room - what a great idea as this kept our luggage and clothes seperate and not cluttering the bedroom. We asked for a complimentary tray when we arrived as we had read that there was no tea and coffee facilities in the room.Liked the delivery of bottled water on a evening - nice touch. Not a great view which was a bit disappointing given the price of the room, room 224 looks into other buildings which are quite close. We did feel that although breakfast was excellently served and perfect in every way, that the additional supplement of £7.50 was over the top, the price for the stay was expensive and really this should have been included. Our only other criticism would be that there was no swimming pool, and charges were made for using the spa. Otherwise a wonderful Valentines weekend break, we would definately reccomend and would love to return one day.

Room Tip: Request a room with a nice outlook !