“Perfect.”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Great hotel in the perfect central location no need to use the car . Rooms very clean and comfortable. Restaurant excellent and very good value delightfull to be able to return to hotel after long day and not have to leave to seek out restaurant. Staff throughout were charming and could not be improved. Best hotel in a very lovely city.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 10Pb22

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I had a lovely lunch here at The Chester Grosvenor, I had no reservation however I was easily accommodated for. I had the soup which came with a (albeit small) roll, accompanied by a lemonade. I didn't stay for dessert but I am sure it would have been lovely, I shall be back soon.

I'd also like to note that the toilet facilities were spotless, and a fantastic central location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Really I was torn between 4 and 5 rating but the staff tipped the balance.

Four of us went to celebrate an 88th birthday. Two coming from London and two from Todmorden The booking process was very efficient and the reservation personnel very understanding. We got an excellent deal that worked out about £150 per head per night for Dinner B&B including our drinks and all extras. At a hotel of this standing I thought that outstanding value.

On arrival the reception staff dealt with a major panic on my part as I had somehow lost the return rail tickets. They rang taxi firms to enquire if they had been left etc. etc. The point is that all the reception staff chipped in to try and help as they could see I was distressed [They might like to know that Virgin let us on the train on our return without tickets.]

We had booked one Classic Double and one Deluxe Twin. The Classic was upgraded to an Executive room...but unfortunately this became the twin and the Deluxe the double. Staff were apologetic but did not put this right. I think perhaps it was difficult for them as all of the charges were going to one bill, and because of our sexes, it may have been confusing.

We ate one night in the Brasserie and one night in the Michelin Star restaurant [q.v. for my reviews of those]. The former was good but the latter was superb. I would recommend that if you can get a good rate you treat yourself to the better restaurant.

The rooms were both very nice, but the Deluxe was definitely much superior. I had arranged a hospitality tray in advance and I would recommend that you do this...tea and good quality coffee and fresh milk.

The bed linen was superb. Not so the towels which were extremely heavy and thick and not at all easy to use. Also the shower had a simple curtain across the bath and was pretty awful for this sort of hotel.

Didn't try the Spa, but it looked good. Valet parking was excellent [£8.50 per day]. There didn't seem to be a Lounge of any consequence and this was really surprising.

I would only have given a 4 rating except for the staff and would like to mention the Reservations staff, the Front Desk, the lady who seemed to be in charge of the Brasserie restaurant, Lance in the other restaurant and Kevin on the door. Their professional and caring attitude to 4 old people earns the hotel the 5 rating.

Tips for outings: we went and loved first Ness Gardens, part of Liverpool University but less than 10 miles away, and Port Sunlight and the Lady Lever Art Gallery. Both very special do try and go.

I would go here more often if I lived nearer. Location is superb, right in the heart of the town and 2 minutes from the Cathedral.

Room Tip: Deluxe better than others. Some a re a long way from the lift so please specify if you are disabled...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DeCoucey
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in a well appointed and quiet modern room. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, especially the door staff. We were a little disappointed in the choices on the Brasserie menu and so we ate in two excellent restaurants nearby. We still enjoyed the stay in such a lovely hotel situated in a beautiful city.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just had another great stay - food and wine marvellous. Staff really friendly and professional. Porters so full of character. Great room and fittings are luxurious. Chester is a great location. We love it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed for the weekend as a family and had a most enjoyable time. Very efficient valet parking and welcome from the doormen. We enjoyed some treatments in the spa; although the changing rooms and facilities are rather small the staff were lovely. There are no tea and coffee facilities in the rooms on arrival but you can ring for a complimentary tray to be brought up which means fresh milk but alas no biscuits! Dinner in the brasserie (preceded by excellent cocktails) was very good. The wine list was reasonable, the butter delicious and I can thoroughly recommend the fillet 'burger' with beef cheek - fantastic. Yes the rooms are expensive and you would expect full breakfast to be included in the price but the service is great and for an occasional old fashioned luxury treat it's worth it.

Room Tip: We overlooked an inner courtyard, some noise from a wedding disco but no problems getting to sleep a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was not pleased to have 2 narrow single beds in a so called de luxe room. Also a shower curtain over the bath was not acceptable at a 5 star hotel we then upgraded to a suite which did have a shower cubicle but still the narrow single beds. No coffee tray unless we asked for one and then no biscuits but we could have paid extra for chocolates or crisps etc which were laid out in the room all extras??? 2 small tvs in room one didn't work other with problem screen seen better days also trouser press broken portions in the Simon Radley were very small thank goodness for the lovely bread trolley Good position in centre of Chester Staff very helpful and I liked the valet parking hotel very clean but needs updating probably would not return as the 5 star price does not reflect a 5 star value hotel shame as it has been a good hotel in the past and not moved with the times

Room Tip: don't have the suite overlooking front very noisy with drunks on a night out
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family