“The 5 star Grosvenor”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“The 5 star Grosvenor”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the grosvenor in december 2013 for our silver wedding anniversary . Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We had a suite and it was absolutely fantastic . We had reserved afternoon tea which was a meal on itself . We also had a meal in the Radley a must for anyone who likes being pampered . I will return dave Waller stoke on trent

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed for their Sunday relax and dine deal, the hotel was lovely and the 3 course dinner was divine with excellent levels of service. I cannot recommend the 3 course set menu highly enough, we ordered a couple of sides thinking that the meal would be small however the meal was substantial and the rib eye main was considerable in size and as tender and tasty as a fillet. If they have the salmon starter I would again recommend, it was almost salmon tartare but beautifully seared on the outside with a gorgeous beetroot puree.

The bedroom was lovely however I do have a few gripes, the hair dryer got very hot in seconds and then cut out, the air conditioning/temperature system is very poor meaning you need to open a window and you then have the issue of considerable street noise from revellers till the very early hours.

My biggest concern came at checkout, on arrival the hotel get you to authorise a pre payment for your stay plus £200 it is now 48 hours since we checked out and that amount is still being held. This was not the biggest issue, when we checked out we were left waiting for 10 minutes and then I asked to pay cash for the extras and debit card for the room, this was duly completed however today I discover that they took the whole amount off my debit card and took the cash as well. It has taken me the morning to sort out and the attitude seemed to be, "oh well, these things happen." There seems to be no process for receipting cash so ensure you check your bank to confirm exactly what has been taken and if you are using a current account ensure you can be without the pre authorised funds for several days until they are returned to your account and available to you again.

Overall I would recommend and I would go again however it is a shame that the checkout process put a damper on what was such a lovely stay in such a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the rear of the hotel so you are not on the main drag
5 Thank Britishlion2011
Lancashire England
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Superbly located city centre hotel. Felt spoilt from the start when the car was valet parked by a charming doorman. Beautiful hotel and wonderful large room - extremely quiet away from the front of the hotel. . Breakfast fabulous in the brasserie. All staff very helpful and overall very relaxing stay !

Room Tip: Very quiet at the back of the hotel.
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked just one night to celebrate our 43 wedding anniversary.

The room we were allocated was on the back of the hotel, without a view, but was very quiet. It wasn't a big room but contained all we needed. It was beautifully and comfortably furnished with good quality linens and towels. Housekeeping was excellent.

We enjoyed a glass of champagne in the Library Bar and then ate in the Brasserie. Unfortunately, with all the hard surfaces, it was extremely noisy. The food was good, well-presented and of good quality. Service was attentive.

Breakfast is taken in the Brasserie and is served to table. We enjoyed it.

We really enjoyed our stay and hope to return.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is my fourth visit to The Chester Grosvenor. I booked the hotel through Secret Escapes and I have to say this travel site is brilliant.
I went with a friend and from the valet parking at the start of our night away to checking out the service was faultless.This hotel is full of old world charm and the staff bend over backwards to help you.The hotel is in the best location as its right in the center of Chester.
The bedroom was spacious and beautifully decorated with everything you needed. The downside with the room was that it was very hot and only cooled slightly with air conditioning,once the window was open the room was a lot cooler. The wifi wasn't very good but once I mentioned this at reception they reset it and it was better. Wifi throughout Chester isn't good though and I should imagine its through the many lovely old buildings there. The room lacked tea and coffee making facilities, however the hotel will provide you with these at any time if you request them.
We had a drink in the Arkle Lounge and if you like Gin the choice is amazing. We ate in La Brasserie and the food and service was wonderful.
I had a Ren Rose body polish spa treatment and it was divine and The young lady was lovely who did my spa treatment and the spa itself is superb.
Breakfast the next day was good with plenty of choice and again the service was faultless.
I was sad to leave and I am looking forward to my next trip to this hotel.
I will definitely be recommending this hotel to my friends and family and have done so from my previous stays.

Room Tip: We has room 134 which didn't have a view of the front but it was very quiet and in a good positi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jo M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Only stayed 1 night wish we had booked 2! Absolutely fabulous stay, Nickki in Spa did our body polish, it was so lovely. Meal in brassiere wonderful. Kevin and his colleagues made us so welcome. Mrs Jones was well chuffed x

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just returned from a wonderful stay in the grosvenor for my husbands 30th, booked a deluxe room which was beautiful, bed very comfortable had everything we needed including a well stocked mini bar! We will be returning but will next time ask for a room at the back of the hotel as ours was at the front over looking the Main Street so were kept awake by loud drunk people from the bars below at kicking out time, despite this we had a fantastic time and would highly recommend. Staff are all lovely and nothing is too much trouble. Very glad we picked the grosvenor :)

• Stayed April 2014