“No porter in carpark,no aircon dissappointing!”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Boyton, United Kingdom
“No porter in carpark,no aircon dissappointing!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Despite the price we decided to push the boat out and stay at this hotel for 3 nights as my Husband had been away on business. I arrived first via the carpark at the rear no porter to park the car,I pressed the buzzer to gain entry and waited half an hour to be greeted by the porter who told me he had just finished his lunchbreak.He grabbed my bags and organised someone to park my car, not the greatest of starts after an 8 hour journey!!!
A surely girl on reception checked me in ,I was not told how to get to my room, what time meals were or where the dining room was,she was more interested in scanning my credit card for my expenses not helpful at all.Only found out about the spa on the last day walking down to the car!
The room was ok but being at the front very noisy from the buskers on the street,after the first night we told reception that our aircon turned itself off at around 2am,the man came and fixed it but the same happened again the next night on reporting it again they told me they were unaware anything was wrong the night before? Would not stay again!!

Room Tip: Do not stay at front!
6 Thank localmumlaunceston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely hotel right in the centre of Chester surrounded by a lovely selection of high street retailers and small independent shops. Spent a lovely couple of days wandering along the riverbank, around the city wall, in all the shops and of course in the bars and restaurants.
We had a great time in a very beautiful and interesting city!!

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the hotel. We stayed in a deluxe room, which was clean and perfect for our stay. There wasn't a great view, but we are in a historic hotel in the middle of Chester. The view didn't matter.
We sat at the bar in The Arkle bar (we usually ask to sit there for a drink as the bar staff are so friendly and make us feel so welcome.) This time, we were looked after by a wonderful man called Meno. I asked him about a cocktail that I could only partially remember, so he kindly made one up for me to try. It was amazing and went on to have a few more!
Dinner in The Brasserie was cooked well again and the service was great.
We fancied a drink out of the hotel, so went to Oddfellows for a quick one then back for some more in the Arkle bar.
Breakfast in the morning was plenty, and staff again were very friendly.
After a stroll around the walls, we finished with afternoon tea. Staff remembered us and made us feel very comfortable. When they realised it was our anniversary, they brought out an extra cake with a chocolate printed with 'happy anniversary' on.
If you wish, they will bring extra sandwiches, with a choice of fillings and fresh coffee.
All in all, our stay was very relaxed and we were made to feel special.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the Chester Grosvenor for one night mid-week for a relative's birthday. The room was immaculate - very chintzy but fine for one night, the reception service was good but we weren't shown to our room or offered help with our luggage. A private room had been booked for dinner and the food was outstanding! Dietary requirements were carefully considered - I am lactose intolerant and I was brought my own goats cheese selection and sweet meats tray so that I wasn't left out - and everyone commented on how delicious it all was.
I cannot recommend the food highly enough. The rooms were quiet and we slept very well and my only real criticism is that even at £140 a night a cooked breakfast was not included. There was a supplement of £7.50 for cooked breakfast, £12.50 if you wanted something more 'specialist' like smoked salmon. I have stayed in b&bs all over the world at a fraction of the price and a cooked breakfast is always included and I felt this put a negative twist on an otherwise impeccable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I wanted to experience a 5 star hotel for my 40th birthday so booked the Chester Grosvenor informing them of the special occasion only to be checked in to our executive room with a view of several air conditioning units which was smaller than my bedroom at home. The sauna and steam room in the spa were out of order and the breakfast was minuscule. The staff were polite yet un attentive. The only positive is the location. If this is a 5 star experience I am sorely disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
3 Thank Rachael F
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We arrived to check in with a voucher our sons had bought us for special birthday and were greeted by the most miserable receptionist I have ever come across on all my travels throughout the world .
I had brought the wrong voucher but she had the right voucher on her system.
She suggested we went home and come back another time!!!Great customer relations!!
We eventually got hold of the duty manager who showed us to our room and was very polite,but said they would take a£200 deposit and would speak to the accounts dept in the morning as there was none there till the next day,
We had a meal in the restaurant which was limited in choice on our package and was fairly average ,not what would expect from such a celebrated hotel.
We paid extra to upgrade to a full English breakfast ,which was nice but not worth the extra we were charged.
After we finished eating the waiter came and asked if we would like another drin and we said we would have another coffee.
When the bill arrived we were charged a further £10 for the 2 coffees.
I had had enough by this stage and paid the bill and checked out and would never buy anyone a voucher again if this is the way you get treated when it was supposed to be a special occasion

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Nigel L
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was my first visit to this hotel where we stayed for 4 nights. We had two rooms, both of which were spacious and quiet. Well worth upgrading to a superior room. Having read one or two grumbles about the Continental Breakfast, I fail to see what there is to criticise about it. There was a large variety of items, similar to a buffet-style breakfast, the only difference being that they were all served at the table. Items were all fresh, and there was no limit to the amount available. There were plenty of staff, and any requests for "More" were quickly dealt with. No queuing or jostling at crowded buffet counters. Who could wish for otherwise? We took dinner in the hotel Brasserie Restaurant on the first two nights. The dishes were excellent and well presented. On the Tuesday and Wednesday nights, the Simon Radley Restaurant was open and we dined there. This Michelin Star restaurant was superb, as was The Arkle Bar. Food and service were of a very high quality and complimented the general ambience of the hotel. This is certainly a fairly expensive hotel, but worth the cost. We were made very welcome. The general atmosphere and attitude of the staff and hotel towards it's guests is one of kindness and professionalism. We definitely hope to return later this year.

Room Tip: Worth paying for an upgrade
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends