“Sumptuous beds!”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Total indulgence and relaxation on an over night stay and spa break.
Back massage and facial were extremely relaxing!
Beautiful hotel and worth every penny!
Afternoon was wonderful with excellent service. Booking is essential.
Well worth a visit as its right in the middle of the shopping area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Danielle355
Write a ReviewReviews (2,595)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The upgrade we were given meant that enjoyed what amounted to a large suite. Up in the eaves it might be, but the spaciousness and luxuriousness with thoughtful extras like fizz, fruit and chocolate made it special. Valet parking in the centre of Chester is also a bonus, and the location of this historic building was a great help to us on our first visit to a city with so much to see. The staff were generally attentive but, as in the restaurant, rather going through the motions in a somewhat outdated manner. Breakfast was first-class, and the check-out facilitated by the dedicated cashier point. All in all, a very satisfactory experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acko_10
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Despite the price we decided to push the boat out and stay at this hotel for 3 nights as my Husband had been away on business. I arrived first via the carpark at the rear no porter to park the car,I pressed the buzzer to gain entry and waited half an hour to be greeted by the porter who told me he had just finished his lunchbreak.He grabbed my bags and organised someone to park my car, not the greatest of starts after an 8 hour journey!!!
A surely girl on reception checked me in ,I was not told how to get to my room, what time meals were or where the dining room was,she was more interested in scanning my credit card for my expenses not helpful at all.Only found out about the spa on the last day walking down to the car!
The room was ok but being at the front very noisy from the buskers on the street,after the first night we told reception that our aircon turned itself off at around 2am,the man came and fixed it but the same happened again the next night on reporting it again they told me they were unaware anything was wrong the night before? Would not stay again!!

Room Tip: Do not stay at front!
6  Thank localmumlaunceston
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely hotel right in the centre of Chester surrounded by a lovely selection of high street retailers and small independent shops. Spent a lovely couple of days wandering along the riverbank, around the city wall, in all the shops and of course in the bars and restaurants.
We had a great time in a very beautiful and interesting city!!

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the hotel. We stayed in a deluxe room, which was clean and perfect for our stay. There wasn't a great view, but we are in a historic hotel in the middle of Chester. The view didn't matter.
We sat at the bar in The Arkle bar (we usually ask to sit there for a drink as the bar staff are so friendly and make us feel so welcome.) This time, we were looked after by a wonderful man called Meno. I asked him about a cocktail that I could only partially remember, so he kindly made one up for me to try. It was amazing and went on to have a few more!
Dinner in The Brasserie was cooked well again and the service was great.
We fancied a drink out of the hotel, so went to Oddfellows for a quick one then back for some more in the Arkle bar.
Breakfast in the morning was plenty, and staff again were very friendly.
After a stroll around the walls, we finished with afternoon tea. Staff remembered us and made us feel very comfortable. When they realised it was our anniversary, they brought out an extra cake with a chocolate printed with 'happy anniversary' on.
If you wish, they will bring extra sandwiches, with a choice of fillings and fresh coffee.
All in all, our stay was very relaxed and we were made to feel special.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the Chester Grosvenor for one night mid-week for a relative's birthday. The room was immaculate - very chintzy but fine for one night, the reception service was good but we weren't shown to our room or offered help with our luggage. A private room had been booked for dinner and the food was outstanding! Dietary requirements were carefully considered - I am lactose intolerant and I was brought my own goats cheese selection and sweet meats tray so that I wasn't left out - and everyone commented on how delicious it all was.
I cannot recommend the food highly enough. The rooms were quiet and we slept very well and my only real criticism is that even at £140 a night a cooked breakfast was not included. There was a supplement of £7.50 for cooked breakfast, £12.50 if you wanted something more 'specialist' like smoked salmon. I have stayed in b&bs all over the world at a fraction of the price and a cooked breakfast is always included and I felt this put a negative twist on an otherwise impeccable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I wanted to experience a 5 star hotel for my 40th birthday so booked the Chester Grosvenor informing them of the special occasion only to be checked in to our executive room with a view of several air conditioning units which was smaller than my bedroom at home. The sauna and steam room in the spa were out of order and the breakfast was minuscule. The staff were polite yet un attentive. The only positive is the location. If this is a 5 star experience I am sorely disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
3  Thank Rachael F