“excellent”

Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Chester, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Excellent throughout and the breakfast is amazing. Cocktails in the Roman gardens bliss

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Czech first
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel end March for two nights, meeting relations and visiting relative in Chester Hosp. On arrival check in very fast, efficient and staff very friendly and helpful. we were on top of 2nd floor (305). When we entered the room thru a long entrance corridor with wardrobe, large bathroom very nice, however the bedroom was a huge disappointment - it was small with one chair only, heating didn't work and staff came right away to try and fix it but in end had to give us a very very small oil filled radiator for our room. There was only a small apex window one quarter size of an ord window.... very dark due to this. As we booked thru laterooms.com we were not advised of any upgrade we could obtain, but assumed we'd have a good sized room due to the size of the hotel. however, we made the best of it, bed was lovely and comfy and nicely decorated, if a little dark. Breakfast was wonderful, bucks fizz first served by a very friendly and efficient Manager. Staff in dining room very nice and obliging. not that we had to ask anything as it was all Self Service..
however on Sunday evening while waiting for our lift to the hospital, we went to the lounge at 5.30 to get one of the 'free drinks'.... only then to be told that we had to give them our room card, but NOT ONLY THE CARD but the white paper/holder that the card was given to us in...of course that was in our room - it took 4 tries and 20 mins before we were told this by the barperson. of course by then it was too late to go back to the room so we just bought our drink. No big deal, but if they are offering a free bar between certain hours and there is a criteria to be met to get that drink, it should be made known at booking or on check in???? very frustrating.
but the hotel is wonderful, would definitely recommend it, and would go back again definitely. I would not like to get one of the four rooms on the top floor however, but as there was a wedding on that weekend I didn't even bother asking for a move, and we were in and out so much at Chester H that it was fine, but if i went back for a relaxing romantic weekend I would certainly be 'spitting' if I got one of those rooms... !! Advice to hotel, maybe don't use them??? they let u down big time.
But the rest was wonderful...bar very nice and great atmosphere in evening, wonderful big lounge and dining room lovely.
I would say this is well placed beside the station and close enough to walk into city centre too..loved Chester city and as for Cheshire Oaks outlet, O M G.... only got an hour there so must go back.!!
Ann Ireland

Room Tip: close to station, city centre. quiet, safe,clean.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My company was holding an event last week and I decided to stay the night before so I could start arranging everything early. Felt a bit miserable going to a large hotel on a Sunday night as I thought it would be quiet and I was a bit apprehensive as a lone female traveller. I need not have worried, there were lots of people staying so a good atmosphere. My room in the new area of the hotel was contemporary,clean and very comfortable with a gorgeous bathroom and excellent lighting system. Although the hotel was large it felt welcoming and friendly.
Breakfast was a buffet but with an excellent variety of dishes. I liked the egg station as this elevates a buffet to a higher standard.
My event the next day was a success and I put this down to the service and helpfulness of the staff. The venue room received much praise and the only downside was the weather as the drinks reception had been planned for the garden, but it was raining. The garden itself was quirky and had the Wow factor and reminded me of the gardens of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Overall I would say this is one of the best hotels if not the best hotel I've stayed at. I read that the hotel owners have just spent £20 million on it and it shows. The hotel lobby corridors, lobby and restaurant are fabulously decorated and the rooms (judging by our room) are just as good. The breakfast was good with an excellent selection of foods and the staff provided good service and were immaculate in there turn out.

There was some confusion regarding our booking when we got there but I couldn't fault the staff with the way they handled it. The room numbering was a little confusing and our CD player in the room didn't work/ wasn't wired up but I'm sure this could have been fixed if I'd taken the time to complain. One more little gripe- the hot water for the bath is absolutely roasting (be warned!!), it took me ages to cool it down with cold water.

But these are little gripes. This is a top class hotel at decent prices in an excellent location! I would recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Myself and 3 friends stayed for the weekend at the Queens in Chester and i can honestly say we had 5* treatment, accomodation and food @ 3* prices. I would recommend this hotel to anyone of any age group, familys or group of friends. My friend throughly enjoyed her 40th Birthday partly made up of the fantastic accomodation and hospitality of The Queens Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Booked with the hotel direct and got a really good deal which included an upgrade as we mentioned being Best Western card holders. We were also promised a room overlooking the garden when we asked for a quietly located room being older earl to bed country folk..

Ideally located opposite the railway station and a free bus link into city -perfect start.

Arrived early and left luggage with reception while we "chilled out" in the garden area (bit of a walk back to the bar to order a drink) before settling in the superb lounge (a facility sadly missing in so many hotels now) with first rate service. Loads of quality mags and a free daily paper to browse while we waited for J's parents to arrive for a cuppa.

1st rate check in service when our room was ready.

However our room was a let down - yes it was overlooking he garden and on the face of it quietly located (further comments later) - but if this was an exec room and the promised upgrade I am glad we were not in a basic room as this room seemed to be just that - a standard room.

Yes there was a huge bed but very lumpy with a duvet that needed sending to recycling.

The chair at the dressing table/desk needed replacing as the frame had given up.
Bathroom had a mix of tiles which gave the impression a refurb had stopped part way through - I slipped in the "non-slip" bath - and the shower screen had some of the seal strip hanging off.

Then the event of the day - dinner in the restaurant in the new wing. Superb service, food and ambience. One of the best meals in a fantastic setting that had a great perfectly comfy section for those pre/post meal drinks. This restaurant was so well planned and managed that ordinary food would have been acceptable - but it was food to die for - we sunk into our great chairs and enjoyed every moment.

Excellant breakfast in the original part of the hotel with attentive service. Later we met up with family for a snack lunch in the lounge - again great service and food.

By now a doorman/conciege had appeared (not seen the day before) and seemed to dominate the reception area - J is from Chester and we really did not need to be told where we went for a walk - a bit over the top in customer care!

Our second visit to the restaurant was just as good (on reflection -even better) than the evening before and although very busy the staff managed to continue "gliding" through their high class service. Thank you everyone.

Walking back through the original hotel we ran into a large party of young people attending a black tie function and we thought it good to see young people enjoying themselves in style. The trouble was that they tumbled out into the garden outside our window after dinner and enjoyed themselves to our discomfort - being unable to sleep and having received no reply from reception J got dressed and went to reception to ask how long they were likely to remain in the garden - only to be told that it was a party of young people enjoying themselves and that if we had a problem they would move us to a different room - thanks but no thanks. It couldn't have been the first time that guests spilled into the garden en masse (we would have done the same in the same circumstances) so why was our room seen as being in a "quiet" location.

Summary - well trained, efficient and friendly staff thoughout. Great food. Needs to sort out its identity - traditional, squishy lounges and bars with good food and not so good bedrooms or boutique style with one of the best restaurant experiences we have had in UK. Please keep the lounges but upgrade those bedrooms (with some double glazing).

Well that all said - we will be back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
belfast
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I had a neck and back massage which was wonderful and reasonably priced. My daughter had a pedicure and massage which she thoroughly enjoyed. I would recommend your try any of these treatments during your stay.The breakfast was out standing. Rooms fine.The hotel is very central to town and rail station outside. It wasnt noisey. The staff were friendly and helpful. And what can I say there was a free bar between 5-7pm. I think this hotel was reasonably priced with great breakfasts and spa treatments.I diffentely would stay here again and look forward to going back at the end of the year.

• Stayed March 2011