“This Is A Really Good Hotel”

Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Cheshire
“This Is A Really Good Hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We had a quality, romanesque style room with a good, modern bathroom. It's in a good location and is about 10 minutes walk from town and is right by the station. Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice and of superb quality.
The hotel is mostly based on a Roman theme but also comprises of a mixture of old and modern styles that seem to work well together and is all centred around a large Roman-style, central courtyard.
Overall, it's a very impressive place and we really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: Free bar between 5 & 7.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Czech first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2011

This is the second time we have used this hotel for the Grand National weekend.We had excellent ,efficient and friendly service from start to finish.We had both clients and staff staying and they were all very complimentory about the Hotel.We will be using the Queens Hotel again.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Excellent throughout and the breakfast is amazing. Cocktails in the Roman gardens bliss

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel end March for two nights, meeting relations and visiting relative in Chester Hosp. On arrival check in very fast, efficient and staff very friendly and helpful. we were on top of 2nd floor (305). When we entered the room thru a long entrance corridor with wardrobe, large bathroom very nice, however the bedroom was a huge disappointment - it was small with one chair only, heating didn't work and staff came right away to try and fix it but in end had to give us a very very small oil filled radiator for our room. There was only a small apex window one quarter size of an ord window.... very dark due to this. As we booked thru laterooms.com we were not advised of any upgrade we could obtain, but assumed we'd have a good sized room due to the size of the hotel. however, we made the best of it, bed was lovely and comfy and nicely decorated, if a little dark. Breakfast was wonderful, bucks fizz first served by a very friendly and efficient Manager. Staff in dining room very nice and obliging. not that we had to ask anything as it was all Self Service..
however on Sunday evening while waiting for our lift to the hospital, we went to the lounge at 5.30 to get one of the 'free drinks'.... only then to be told that we had to give them our room card, but NOT ONLY THE CARD but the white paper/holder that the card was given to us in...of course that was in our room - it took 4 tries and 20 mins before we were told this by the barperson. of course by then it was too late to go back to the room so we just bought our drink. No big deal, but if they are offering a free bar between certain hours and there is a criteria to be met to get that drink, it should be made known at booking or on check in???? very frustrating.
but the hotel is wonderful, would definitely recommend it, and would go back again definitely. I would not like to get one of the four rooms on the top floor however, but as there was a wedding on that weekend I didn't even bother asking for a move, and we were in and out so much at Chester H that it was fine, but if i went back for a relaxing romantic weekend I would certainly be 'spitting' if I got one of those rooms... !! Advice to hotel, maybe don't use them??? they let u down big time.
But the rest was wonderful...bar very nice and great atmosphere in evening, wonderful big lounge and dining room lovely.
I would say this is well placed beside the station and close enough to walk into city centre too..loved Chester city and as for Cheshire Oaks outlet, O M G.... only got an hour there so must go back.!!
Ann Ireland

Room Tip: close to station, city centre. quiet, safe,clean.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My company was holding an event last week and I decided to stay the night before so I could start arranging everything early. Felt a bit miserable going to a large hotel on a Sunday night as I thought it would be quiet and I was a bit apprehensive as a lone female traveller. I need not have worried, there were lots of people staying so a good atmosphere. My room in the new area of the hotel was contemporary,clean and very comfortable with a gorgeous bathroom and excellent lighting system. Although the hotel was large it felt welcoming and friendly.
Breakfast was a buffet but with an excellent variety of dishes. I liked the egg station as this elevates a buffet to a higher standard.
My event the next day was a success and I put this down to the service and helpfulness of the staff. The venue room received much praise and the only downside was the weather as the drinks reception had been planned for the garden, but it was raining. The garden itself was quirky and had the Wow factor and reminded me of the gardens of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Overall I would say this is one of the best hotels if not the best hotel I've stayed at. I read that the hotel owners have just spent £20 million on it and it shows. The hotel lobby corridors, lobby and restaurant are fabulously decorated and the rooms (judging by our room) are just as good. The breakfast was good with an excellent selection of foods and the staff provided good service and were immaculate in there turn out.

There was some confusion regarding our booking when we got there but I couldn't fault the staff with the way they handled it. The room numbering was a little confusing and our CD player in the room didn't work/ wasn't wired up but I'm sure this could have been fixed if I'd taken the time to complain. One more little gripe- the hot water for the bath is absolutely roasting (be warned!!), it took me ages to cool it down with cold water.

But these are little gripes. This is a top class hotel at decent prices in an excellent location! I would recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Myself and 3 friends stayed for the weekend at the Queens in Chester and i can honestly say we had 5* treatment, accomodation and food @ 3* prices. I would recommend this hotel to anyone of any age group, familys or group of friends. My friend throughly enjoyed her 40th Birthday partly made up of the fantastic accomodation and hospitality of The Queens Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends