“Mixed Rooms until Refurb Complete”

Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Mixed Rooms until Refurb Complete”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed for 2 nights midweek with friends at this hotel and as Best Western card holders hoped for an upgrade (as is promised) as the hotel has over 200 rooms. On arrival we were told by a less than friendly receptionist that they were fully booked therefore could not upgrade us, but after seeing our disappointment assured us that we had already been upgraded from Standard to Executive Queen.

The room on Floor 3 was not refurbished and left a lot to be desired in terms of decor and facilities. The shower was just a trickle and the toilet much too close to the basin to manoeuvre round it very well. Overall it was poor, so much so that our friend went to discuss with the Duty Manager. It transpired that the hotel was not, as we were told, fully booked and that we had been accommodated in the old style rooms. In fairness our issue was dealt with promptly, politely and efficiently and we were both moved to rooms on floor 2 which were much more pleasant. There needs to be much more attention to detail on little things, eg, there were no hangars in the wardrobe, the TV had a sound problem that made it difficult to hear properly, there was a jacuzzi bath with shower over, but no shower curtain meaning the floor got soaked etc etc. On a good note, breakfast was very good and a chef will cook omelettes of your choice to order. Location is a good 15-20 minute walk from the centre of Chester but is opposite Chester Station. Not the best Best Western Property we have stayed in and won't be in any hurry to return.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on Floor 3 in the Queens Block, they are not refurbished and very very tired...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
QueenH0tel, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Helenbakgain,

Many thanks for taking time to write a review about the Queen.

It is obvious from your notes that you had a mixed stay with us.

We have invested over £20 million in the hotel over the past couple of years and 90% of our rooms have now been refurbished. The majority of rooms on the third floor have benefited from this programme. It is most unfortunate that the room first allocated to you was one of only 5 on this floor not to have been updated. The difference between the older standard rooms and the newer rooms is very highly reflected in the price.

Thank you for bringing your dissatisfaction to our attention during your stay. We will always do our uppermost to rectify any complaint and I am delighted this was the case where you were concerned. One point of note; the jacuzzi baths on the second floor are so fabulously featured that they do not suit a shower screen or curtain - they are designed in this way and highlight the beauty of the Victorian bathrooms.

I was very surprised regarding your comment on hangers in the wardrobe. I have checked the room personally. The wardrobe in this room is a huge antique piece of furniture with three sections. Two of the sections are for hanging coats on hooks and storing sweaters etc. the third section contains 12 fixed hangers, which may not at first have been apparent to you.

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding breakfast. We do consider it to be the most important meal of the day and go all out to make it a memorable experience with a vast choice of local and artisan products.

Despite our efforts to please you, I am very sorry that you don't intend to return to us and I wish you happy travels in the future.

Kindest regards

Simon Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Czech first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This is a very spacious and well planned hotel, with lots of historic connections, including for example Roman uniforms on display. It is not a bland ordinary hotel but one full of interest and mystique. There are many paintings situated around the hotel with other interesting "exhibits". It is "oldie worldly" but extremely comfortable and clean. It boasts a first class restaurant, the Kings Quarters, and it really is. However unlike many similar excellent restaurants where you would be served small portions of food that does not apply here. The helpings were extremely generous and amazingly tasty. All the staff that I met, throughout the whole hotel, were friendly, pleasant, smartly dressed, knowledgeable and more than willing to help.
The public rooms are clean, and very comfortable with good quality furniture. The bar is pleasant but maybe basic.
My bedroom was excellent and so was the bathroom. Spacious, clean, tidy and well planned, but maybe basic.The bed was large and very comfortable.
I do not see how anyone at all could complain about this hotel. Having said that there must always be room for improvement in everything, but I cannot think of an improvement to be made here.
The breakfast was served in a very spacious room and was not the usual "polystyrene" type that many large hotels provide. There was a very large menu for breakfast which again exceeded expectations.
The meeting room that we had was well appointed, comfortable and made the meetings more enjoyable. Unfortunately I feel that I did not have enough time to appreciate the full value of this hotel and certainly Chester itself.
The hotel is situated immediately opposite the main entrance to Chester Railway station.That said I never heard a train whilst inside the hotel. There is a private car park adjacent to the hotel for which you have to pay.
I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone at all.
There is a Fitness Suite, but I found the bar and the Restaurant more inviting, so cannot pass comment thereon. Wi-fi is available as you would expect in such an establishment as also a "public" computer.
I cannot wait for the excuse for a return visit. It really is what it says - PREMIER -
PS. The teddies are cute for £6.00 each.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bmj46
Dear BMJ46,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review.

It is incredibly kind of you to share your experience and I have passed you generous comments on to all concerned.

It am delighted that we have appeared to satisfy you in every way. We really do try to make people happy.

You don't need an excuse to come back. Make one up - there's always something to celebrate! Please remember that if you phone the hotel direct we will always provide you with the very best available discounted rates.

Many thanks, once again.

Kindest regards

Simon Williams
Frodsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My daughter & son in law chose the Queen Hotel as their Wedding Venue, and we had the civil ceremony, wedding breakfast, and evening function all at the hotel over the Easter weekend. I'm a hotel manager but now work in commercial, non function hotels although I have managed three & four star hotels for over twenty years. I've personally looked after over 500 weddings myself, so I think I'm pretty qualified to give an expert opinion on how the Queen hotel did! By the way I have NO connection whatsoever to the Queen Hotel or Feathers -this is a totally unsolicited repsonse from me.
I must congratulate the General Manager, Simon Williams on how well ALL his team performed. From the day we went for a showround, during the many visits to update details, and on the really enjoyable night to do the tasting his team were extremely professional, welcoming and friendly. We were introduced to Paul (Deputy Manager) very early on, and were told that he was to be our contact right through all the process, and he proved to be an invaluable help. He was there over ALL of the weekend from early on Friday until after we left on Sunday, and anticipated and looked after all our needs. Everything ran so smoothly, the food tasted great, and looked fantastic but with surprisingly large portions so no-one went hungry. We had over 130 guests and I did not hear a single murmur, groan or complaint from anyone - and believe me they are a picky bunch!
With regards to accommodation; I got to see several different rooms as I'd booked many for guests, and, of course, the bride and grooms suite. So, I can comment on this with authority too. The hotel has several wings, and an extension. There are more modern contemporary rooms, and older more Victorian style rooms. I found them all to be clean, and they all had the facilities I needed. My suggestion - decide what features you want before you go, and ask reception if they have that type of room available when you book.
I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Queen Hotel for a wedding and/or a weekend stay. Simon; I'd also recommend that Feathers find a promotion for Paul as he's got the makings of a great GM :-)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

The room smells of urine, the bed was falling apart, the tv did not work, lumpy pillows 1980's worn out decor, wall tiles black and loose on the wall in the bath/shower, paint peeling of the ceilings, water freezing cold then scalding hot! I feel duped into using this hotel, it is absolutely nothing like any of the pictures or discription on their web site. Perhaps the refurbished room are a different story? But we paid £99- 4 star prices for a 2 star room. (that price does not include breakfast or parking) extremely disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My partner booked for us to stay not long after christmas as a post christmas surprise (no children!!) and it was just a wonderful place to spend the weekend.
It is very close to the station, so you are able to walk to the hotel from here. As soon as we entered, we quickly noticed how perfectly spotless this hotel is and not in a sparse way, in a cosy, clean way if that makes sense!
Our room was excellent, again spotless, cosy and incredibly comfortable. All of the staff we met were friendly, welcoming and always had time to ask how we were doing. We spent most of our time out and about, town is reasonably close, we were lucky with the weather and were able to take a stroll around. We had breakfast here both mornings, which is an absolute must in my books! However, we ate out both evenings so i can't comment myself on the food. We did however get taking to a group in the bar who had eaten at the hotel and they were all very complimentary.
I must admit, when i first found out how much my partner had spent on this i almost wanted to hit him round the head! However that said after staying the price we paid was more than reasonable!
I would reccommend this and hope to stay again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Queen hotel is right next to the station so pretty handy if your travelling by train. Its only a short walk to the canal and 10 mins into town. The hotel is quite old and very noisy being net to major transport (buses and taxis). The bed was hard and there is no air condition so not a great recipie for sleep!
The main hotel at the back of the hotel looked nice with good service. The menu was very short and a lot of people might not find something to choose. It was nice but there are many, many better restuarants in town that offer better quality food and probably cheaper. The wine by the glass choice was very poor.
Breakfast was self service and extremly busy but not too bad. Check out in the morning was poor. If its a one night stop over and you need to be next to station them maybe. Just maybe......

Room Tip: Rooms at the new section on the back are significantly better if you must stay here...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Wainfleet All Saints, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

It was my birthday and was really looking forward to our visit to Chester.The hotel lobby, bar, lounge and gardens were all beautiful, the staff were pleasant and helpful, but our room was a real disapointment, we were not given the option of a refurbished room.The fixtures and fittings were all in need of updating.The bed was very comfy but did not make up for the rest of the room. There was even wallpaper peeling and the smoke detector was hanging off, would not return to a room that had not been updated.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple