“Great pick for Chester”

Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Great pick for Chester”
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, friendly and helpful staff. Nice spacious rooms with everything you could need and a comfy bed. A fantastic breakfast buffet and a Buck's Fizz handed to me on the way . Great courtyard space to relax in if you get lucky with the weather

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Czech first
Merseyside
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We visited the hotel today to enjoy an afternoon cream tea. This was supposed to be a treat for me having recently undergone major surgery.
Our first shock was the cost to park at the hotel, they do not have short time parking but do charge highly for a 24 hour stay, the receptionist did recommend alternative parking at a sensible price., for which we were grateful ... a cream tea doesn't take 24 hours!
Crockery arrived at the table ... a dirty cup, followed by a stained milk jug. These were quickly changed by the waiter who produced a clean cup, but the new milk jug had a large chunk missing from the lip!!! The tea plates could have been cleaner but by this time we couldn't be bothered. On the plus side the selection of sandwiches and cakes were good.
Would we return for an afternoon cream tea ... No.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bellion
Torquay
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Excellent sums up our visit to Queen Hotel Chester. We traveled to Chester with a coach party from the west country and after many hours on the road were welcomed royally by the hotel concierge, who invited us to join him for a glass of champagne while he ran through the history of the building. Our room, on the third floor, was reached by lift or the grand staircase and although a tad on the dated side was clean and comfortable. We were on a half board package and found the quality of dinner superb and the attentive staff extremely efficient. The breakfast, laid out in grand style was excellent and catered for all tastes, in fact by the end of our stay the chef had devised an individual menu for my wife who has a gluten allergy. My only gripe, and this sums up most hotels these days are the bar prices. Instead of staying in the more than comfortable bars at the hotel, we and our friends walked into Chester each evening to visit one of the many bars and pubs there. Well worth a visit

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel 11th to 13th June 2013 for two nights. It's right opposite the train station which was very handy. The breakfast was to die for. Absolutely fine food and everything to suit everyone's needs.
When I arrived the staff allowed me to leave my case there as I was visiting friends and was there very early. When I booked in later that day it went without a hitch. The bed was enormous and could have slept 3 and was the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. The only downside was work was going on and they started early in the morning or I would have rated the hotel 5*.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and they were all very nice.
The grounds to sit in were lovely and very tidy.
The bathroom in the bedroom was fantastic. Even provided dressing gowns.
One problem I had to go to the train station to get a coffee as couldn't get one about 1030 as no one was about.
But I most certainly will go back again when visiting my friends in Chester.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed at the hotel on 27 May 2013 for one night for our anniversary.We stayed in a kings room. It was lovely, a little bit compact, but nice decor and and the bathroom was fab.
We had a lovely dinner in the kings restaurant - the food was amazing.
The bed was a superking and comfortable.

The staff were ok - maybe a little bit fussy - but when we checked out the receptionist didn't ask if we enjoyed our stay. Maybe it was because there was a queue - but I was always taught to treat each customer with care and attention. There wasn't a problem, but there could have been.....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My husband and I had our Wedding reception party at the Queen Hotel on the 1st June.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, the staff were wonderful from our very first look around and the 12 months of planning that followed. They cannot do enough for you and really made the whole thing stress free and easy.

Our guests are still talking about the quality of food that was served at the reception, the DJ was excellent and the Wedding Team, Richard, Rebecca and Caroline were so helpful. I've had people say it was the best reception they ever went to.

The rooms our guests stayed in that night were lovely and clean. The breakfast was delicious and varied. The location is unbeatable.

If you're looking at Wedding Reception or party venues in Chester then the Queen Hotel is definitely the place, they exceeded all my (very high) expectations and I cannot thank them enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren F
Hengelo, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This victorian style hotel has been my home away from for eighteen months when working on a project back in 2010|11. When ever staying in Chester I always return to the Queens. I still get treated as a special guest. Being welcomed by Ewan Davies is a pleasure. The breakfast restaurant professinally run by Sebastian, which meets all requirements. Also there is a nice bar with friendly staff. The free wifi has improved which I appreciate.

Room Tip: The Kings part is the newer part of the hotel, which I personally prefer. There are two beautiful su...