“Perfect!”

Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Great location that was easy to find and close to bars and restaurants for the evening. The young man on check in could not have been more helpful, the room was clean and lovely, the bathroom perfect. Breakfast was nice and pre-paid so you could have as much as you needed and there was even a giant chair for photos.
I don't need to look for a hotel next time I'm in Chester because I am going back to the Queens!

• Stayed August 2013
QueenH0tel, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear 18beni,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you liked our giant chair - our tribute to Alice and the Cheshire Cat - I hope you had your picture taken in it!

Your feedback regarding your room and breakfast is very gratefully received and I am delighted to hear that you plan to come back to the Queen on your next visit to Chester. We look forward to welcoming you! Look out for our great deal special offers.

Many thanks, once again.

Kindest regards,

Simon Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Czech first
Wrexham
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Just attended a residential conference this week. I have to say that I was very, very pleasantly surprised. The public areas are very grand, the conference room we were in was comfortable, my bedroom was lovely - lots of little touches to make it different from the norm and immaculately clean. The food at lunch and dinner was delicious - dinner at night in the restaurant was particularly good, and what can I say about breakfast? I love breakfast, and this was by far the best I have ever had in any hotel - unbelievable choice and great sausages! All staff I encountered were excellent too - it's unusual these days to find a place where everyone smiles - even the cleaning staff said good morning and smiled. Well done Best Western - it just goes to show, don't judge a book by its cover!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cristiano F
Dear Cristiano F,

I'm so pleased to hear you had such a good time while attending a conference here at the Queen.

Although you were here for business, we believe it should still be fun. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!

We like to treat meetings and conferences in the same way as weddings, parties and leisure business - professional yet individual and always endeavoring to exceed expectation. I'm so pleased everything was to your liking.

I'm delighted you enjoyed our sausages at breakfast. We always have two varieties to choose from - both award winners and exclusive to the Queen.

Thank you also for your kind words regarding our smiling team. Your generous feedback is very much appreciated.

See you again soon, I hope!

Kindest regards,

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed for two weeks in the Kings section (the newer and nicer compared to the Queens) of the Queen hotel for business.
The room was not big but it was quite nice, with good views across the city. The bathroom was very nice and clean.
Avoid rooms close to the lifts as it gets a bit noisy.
The hotel in general has amazing facilities with two beautiful garden areas. Since it is an enormous hotel the interaction with the staff tends to be very impersonal.
The only exception is during the Breakfast when you get the very genuine and friendly chat from Sebastian who is supervising the breakfast area. Especially if you go for business travel and it gets a bit lonely a friendly talk makes you feel more like home.
In general it was a very nice stay!

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the upper floors of the Kings section and as far as possible from the lifts.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
QueenH0tel, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear DimitraL,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Your kind words are very much appreciated. I have passed your generous comments on to Sebastian who I know will be greatly motivated by your feedback.

Next time you visit the Queen you may like to try our brand new Victoria and Albert bedrooms in the Queen building which I think you will love.

Many thanks once again and kindest regards,

Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Let me start by saying this is a gorgeous hotel, well cared for in the common areas. OK that said, the rooms are VERY tired. My biggest complaint and the complaint that so many folks who we were here with was that the rooms were soooooooo HOT and the windows either didn't open (painted shut) or in opening the room windows it was right on the street and the noise and smells were awful.

We were with a booked tour and we had 18 rooms, most all the people were disappointed in the room quality. One couple said that the springs were jutting up through the mattress and kept them from sleeping well.

This has the possibility of being an amazing hotel, they just need to put some money into updating their accommodations, i.e., ROOMS!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear SCVDeb,

Many thanks for your review.

I am very sorry that you found your room so hot. I sympathize entirely and apologize for the discomfort that this caused you.

We are hardly renowned for warm weather here in the North of England and thankfully don't typically suffer from heat in the bedrooms.

We do have 87 brand new executive rooms with full air conditioning and climate control which we offer at a small supplement charge.

I am sorry once again that you found your stay uncomfortable and do hope you enjoyed the remainder of your trip.

Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We fell in love with the Hotel as soon as we visited it & decided to book our wedding and we are so happy that we did. Rebecca the Wedding & Events co-ordinator was brilliant & kept in regular contact with us making sure we had everything in place nothing was ever to much trouble for her ( I must have emailed her nearly everyday for months!) What a fantastic wedding we had & our friends & family could not speak highly enough of the hotel, food & staff. From when we arrived to when we left the service was first class. They could not do enough for you & made sure all our needs were met. All rooms were laid out beautifully adding there own little personal touches here & there. The hotel itself has many stunning rooms & areas for those perfect photographs & luckily we had the weather to take advantage of the beautiful garden area. The food was beautifully presented, tasted delicious & the portions were more than adequate! Simon the Manager was always on hand to make sure the day ran smoothly & Louise our Toast Master was out of this world. She could not do enough for us & our guests throughout the whole day & we can easily say without her our day would not have been as perfect as it was & ran as smoothly as it did. All the staff who played a part in our wedding were all fantastic & we can not recommend this hotel enough to anyone who is thinking of booking there wedding here. Thank you to all staff who made our day a dream come true! Mr & Mrs Whitfield

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jennifer W,

I trust that married life is treating you well!

I am delighted we helped to give you such a wonderful day. You both deserve it and you were a joy to look after.

You have been most generous in your comments and I have passed them on to all concerned.

We love organizing weddings here at the Queen and really do try to ensure that every bride receives every attention.

Many thanks once again for your review and you will always be welcomed back to the Queen at any time.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have just returned from a 2 night Hen weekend and can honestly say we havent a bad thing to say about the whole experience,
We had first class service from check in until check out.
The meal in the Waiting room bar on Friday night was great value for money and we were looked after by Paul and Dan throughout the night. The football was on the TV so no music was being played in out seperate room - Dan fixed this by bringing us an IPod docking station.
Breakfast was served with a glass of Bucks Fizz both mornings and on the Sunday morning we had the peasure of 2 live musicians ! Amazing !

Reception organised champagne flutes and ice buckets to be sent up for us to have a drink before we left for Ladies Day at Chester Races.

Calum the barman ( Very good looking) looked after us on Saturday night when we returned from the races. Both him, Dan and Paul helped make the Hen do a fantastic one!

Also a quick mention to the Concierge who was always polite and helpful throughout our weekend.

Would definately stay here again when we return to Chester.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Becki H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay here at the Queen.

All your comments regarding all aspects of your experience are very much appreciated and I will ensure that everyone mentioned is aware of your very generous feedback.

I am very pleased to hear that you were so well looked after in the Waiting Room Bar and that the team went out of their way to make your time enjoyable. Paul, Dan and Calum (he's not that good looking!!) will be delighted to hear your kind words.

May I wish you the very best of luck for your big day!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just returned from a nights stay at the Queens and I can't really think of anything nice to say about the place. The decor was tacky, carpets were filthy and the food was appalling. If you are planning to visit Chester, which is a beautiful place, plan your trip better than I did. It is not cheap, and on top of your rate you must factor in steep parking fees and a supplement of 10 pound for an 8 ounce steak from the set menu. The prices of drinks are ridiculous. This is a low end four star hotel charging 5 star prices. I don't mind paying for quality, but quality this is not. Rant over, but take heed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank steven a
Dear steven a,

Many thanks for your review.

I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your stay here at the Queen.

I am, however, a little puzzled as to when you stayed and in which room. All our rooms have been refurbished in the last few years and we don't have any with old carpets.

We take all complaints very seriously and will always do our best to rectify any issues when they are brought to our attention. Unfortunately, you have written your comments anonymously which means I cannot track your reservation to see when you stayed here and investigate your complaint further.

If you ever have reason to be unhappy, please do not hesitate to bring it to the attention of a team member who will be able to make things better for you.