“The Queen With No Heart”

Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Crosby, United Kingdom
“The Queen With No Heart”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I booked for the New Years Eve Gala at the end of November, paid £198 ( the full price) up front and were really looking forward to it. On 14th December my husband went to the doctors with what he thought was severe indigestion. He was referred to the Countess Hospital for tests. On 20th December he went to Broadgreen Hospital in Liverpool and had three stents inserted in an artery in his heart.
We were still hoping that he would have felt up to going out on NYE if only for the meal.However, recovery was slower than expected. He was extremely tired and completely lost his appetite.
I emailed The Queen on Sunday 29th saying I regretted we would have to cancel and hoped that due to the circumstances, some form refund would be offered. I made it clear that a doctors confirmation was available if required.
I received a reply saying no refund would be given. I then telephoned the hotel and suggested that they could at least refund us the part allowed for drinks, which were included both during the meal and at the bar all evening. This also was refused. I asked for a credit note for a normal menu at the hotel at a later date. I was told management would not agree to this.
As it seemed quite possible that our two empty places could be taken by anyone the hotel might wish to offer them to for free, (I happen to know lucky recipients of this kind of offer) and my husband was furious to have lost almost £200, that we cancelled the cancellation, even though we did not attend. We tried to give our places to friends but everyone had prior arrangements.
I think the management team could at least have made some small gesture of good will.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Czech first
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was our 6th year that we have had our company Christmas Party at the Queens Hotel, there were 42 of us booked on the busiest night of the Year (mad Friday) we had a fabulous night with excellent service from all of their staff. We all stayed over for the night and the rooms were all to a very high standard and the breakfast was excellent, just what you need after a few drinks the night before.

We all looking forward to seeing everyone at the Queens Hotel again for our 2014 Christmas Party. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London UK
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed overnight for the company Christmas party. The whole event was organised very well and the food and entertainment was great. Rooms are good too and so close to the station so extremely convenient. I would like to come to stay here for a proper visit to Chester at some point in the future as my stay was rather short and I would have liked longer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for 3 night Christmas break and although I gave them nine months notice that I have an allergy to gluten I was presented with a gluten containing dish at every course.
Hotel was full of coach tour guests and staff seemed more interested in keeping them happy at the expense of guests who had paid full price for the package.
My wife and I paid just short of £700.00 for the three night package which turned out to be a nightmare.

Room Tip: The executive rooms in the Kings wing are quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bilbotraveller
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked the NYE package for four, which increased to 14 when others saw the itinerary. I must admit I half expected that, once there, we would be met with 'exclusions' to the deal as it seemed too good to be true - it wasn't, it was better! The hotel was superb, not just a Best Western stereotype (no criticism there BW are a standard across the world), a charming building with atmosphere. The staff, from checking in to leaving, were outstanding. The room, in Kings, was spacious, clean and well furnished. The 'do' was excellent value, wine/spirits/beer included. The food, on that scale was exceptional.

Returning to the staff nothing was too much trouble. They were friendly, courteous and, a rarity, genuine. After the festivities 3 couples missed breakfast, served until noon so that shows how much they enjoyed it, by 10 minutes Sebastian didn't turn them away he seated them and rustled up 6 excellent plated breakfasts. Paul in bar was very friendly and accommodating. (Felt sorry for the poor lad who spent 45mins mopping up after an over indulged reveller took ill over the meal!)

Highly recommend this package. The hotel is across the road from the hotel so do what we did and take the train - saves messing and avoids car parking charges. The hotel car park is expensive but can be avoided by parking at train station or nearby for a fraction of the cost.

Overall thoroughly enjoyable. In recent years we have spent NYE in several iconic locations, NYC, Edinburgh etc but forget them and go to Queen Hotel, Chester and enjoy with friends and friendly staff. A big thank you to all the staff, the ones we saw and the ones we didn't, who made the night great.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roy W
Rome
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Great location opposite the Rail Station for NYE. Special mention must go to the Breakfast Manager, Sebastian. He was in complete control of a full restaurant and showed extraordinary management skills to maintain a smooth service to all patrons. Well done!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple