“Never made it” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Chester
chester, United Kingdom
“Never made it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

had to cancel a few days beforehand, (colleague taken ill) a few hours after booking online, lost both room fees and breakfast costs, not able to revise booking to later date. Not very happy. I'm sure the hotel is very nice but I never made it and I'm not happy with theCompany's lack of flexibility over the booking policy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

3 Thank Alan H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Czech first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed on the 7th April as part of our son's 8th birthday weekend. We are going to Chester Zoo the following day. On arrival the receptionist who only had Trainee badge on looked like she had been doing the job for years all the information you need, restaurant times where to go for breakfast do we require a paper etc 10/10 for check in
We had our evening meal in the " Waiting Room" served by Callum? Wonderful member of staff couldn't do enough even told a joke to our 8 yr old . Food was hot well presented and more than enough . 10/10
Breakfast was organised and well stocked full English served buffet style. My son enjoyed serving himself
We had breakfast at 8.45 and was seated and eating within 5 min
On checking out the reception team had our zoo tickets ready we even left our bags until after the zoo
Many thanks Natalie ?? If its wrong sorry
Will return in the near future

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alan r
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My Partner and I stayed here for a 3 night stay at Christmas which cost £800.00 to stay in the Lilly Langtree suite. This suite has serious
safety problems.
There is no soap holder in the shower and the outside handle is screwed on with large screws that stick out inside the shower door and there was no inside handle only the screws to use to shut the door. My partner fell in the shower when he was bending to the floor to pick the soap up and cut his head open on the screw, when I complained to the hotel that my partner had had an accident and fell in the shower they did not even ask if he was injured or what exactly happened, they simply said they were not aware there was not a soap holder and then said I had not booked a disabled room - I find that response strange, I did not ask for a disabled access room, that was never mentioned as we did not need one, just a shower with a soap holder and without screws sticking out would have been nice!!! (picture included of the shower and my partners cut head)
We will be taking legal action against this hotel due to this serious breach of serious health and safety standards.

When I booked I briefly explained my partner has a neurological disease, I also explained that because he is seriously ill we wanted a special Christmas together to remember, this was a Christmas to remember for all the wrong reasons.
The suite was dirty, the tables sticky, the coffee machine too dirty to use, the tv was not tuned in, the doors near the bad let a very bad draught in so bad the curtains were moving with every gust of wind, there were so many minor unacceptable complaints that pale into insignificance with all the other disasters.

On Boxing day there was a wild west evening and they served beef as the main, as I do not eat beef I asked if there was another option and the
only thing available was the vegetarian option, which was a plate of cold-ish vegetable pasta, NO salad, cheese topping or garlic bread, nothing else
just a few vegetables and dry pasta, I asked if there was some Parmesan cheese and was told there was not, I think serving a plain semi warm plate of plain dry pasta on Boxing day is disgusting and have never been served a meal like that in a 4 star hotel! When I put there point to the hotel and they did not even have the decency to address this complaint.

The hotel was about 80% occupied probably more of older people, I don't have a problem with older people at all but as the hotel was mainly filled with them I think the hotel should have told us this so we could make an informed decision if we wanted to stay due to my partners ill health we don't know if we will have another Christmas together, if there was a disproportionate amount of any kind of group staying I think it would have been nice of the
hotel to inform us prior to booking so we could decide if it was suitable. I raised this point with the hotel and they said why should the reservations team make anyone fell less welcome due to their age.
I find this reply very offensive, customer service obviously could not be bothered to comprehend my complaint, not for one moment did I suggest
the hotel should be ageist.

Christmas eve night in the restaurant we were sat at the far side against a 5ft wide post (see picture)so we could see nothing of the entertainment, this is hardly the place to sit a disabled person as he had to weave his way through the all the tables, the following 2 nights they tried to sit us there
so on Christmas day and Boxing day lunch and dinner I had to start explaining my partner was disabled and did not walk very
well, When I booked our stay I made the hotel aware my partner had mobility issues.I complained about the seating and they said that they
had not made and special requests for my disabled partner even though I had explained he could not walk very well but they understood my
frustration with the pillar.

I emailed all my complaints to the hotels Revenue manager and CC'd (copied) in the general customer service email for Best Western hotels and Michelle sent a simple email back saying someone will be in touch and that's when the Revenue manager from the hotel emailed me back, they didn't
address any of the issues I raised, just brushing me off and were sometimes offensive, I have all the emails if anyone would like to read them.
I want to take legal action against this hotel for the injuries my partner suffered but unfortunately he feels he is too ill at the moment to cope with it.
We were NOT offered any compensation of any kind after this horrific stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Loobryan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Although reading in advance about the location I was surprised about the hotel's proximity to the trainstation. Great: just go out of the station and voilá!
I stayed for few days in one of the rooms named after one of the Queens. This part of the hotel is british luxury, with a lot of suitcases used as decoration or furniture items and narrow corridors on the room floors. After a long day I could still enjoy tea and cookies in my room, didnot have time for the bar downstairs. The service (standard crew very professional, while interims were sometimes confused but under good supervision) was fine despite the fact that they were performing some small reparations around the lobby. Breakfast was fine, and i was served upon request other type of milk which fits the price tag of the hotel.
Nice stay!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank mila_RA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in a executive double room. We stayed in the Queen Mary suite. It was a special offer of DB&B for £98. However we opted to upgrade from a standard room and paid £118. The standard rooms are basic in comparison so an upgrade is well worth the extra £20. the rooms in the Kings quarters are the best and about an extra £40 on top if a basic room. This is a stunning historical building with beautiful decor. We were greeted by the door and offered help with our luggage. Check in was quick and we were shown to the lift and directed to our room. We were surprised at how nice and big the room was. It had classic, traditional dark wood furnishings with a four poster bed, a sofa bed, arm chair, coffee table and a dining table and two chairs, as well as the usual furnishings. The bathroom had two sinks and a shower over the bath. This room overlooks a lovely large courtyard with wicker style furnishings. This would be a great place to sit in fine weather. There's a lot of ornamental statues inside and out that give it a luxury opulent feel. We had dinner in the restaurant. The food was very tasty, presented nicely and service was excellent. The kitchen is open so you can see your food being cooked. We also had two free drink vouchers to use in the bar. In the bar area they also serve more informal meals and this seemed popular with families. The hotel also has lots of function rooms for private bookings such as weddings. Breakfast was buffet style and delicious. Plenty to choose from with fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, pastries, freshly cooked omelettes and full English. The hotel is situated next to the train station. Parking is charged at £15 per for 24 hours. Although the next day after checking out, we were told we could leave the car in the car park and walk into the city centre which was a 5 to 10 min walk away. Overall a very pleasant stay with good food and great service. Would stay here again if visiting Chester.

• Stayed April 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

On arrival at The Queens I was super excited to be staying in what appeared to be a very attractive hotel. Check in was fast and efficient- good start. We dropped off our bags and went out into Chester. When we came back we went for cocktails in the cocktail lounge which were ok- nothing special. However, the atmosphere was very pleasant! We later ordered two sandwiches which cost £20.95!! They were certainly no better than Greggs, and came with dry crisps- obviously been sat around for a while. I was particularly excited about getting into bed as the bed was huge. Unfortunately it was like sleeping on a rock, and the pillows were also solid leaving me to wake up with a bad back and sore neck... Not ideal! Overall not a bad hotel if you eat out. However, if you are after a cosy nights sleep I would have settled for a travel lodge.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Abbie J
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed as a couple on a Sunday in March 2014. We had booked the travelzoo meal and breakfast deal. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, especially the 3 course meal. We stayed for my birthday and it was a really nice hotel. The rooms were lovely. Our only issue was the building works woke us up before 9am on the Monday morning. We opted not to park in the hotel car park and instead parked in the town crier pub car park (next to the hotel), which was £5 for 24 hours, a lot cheaper than the hotel car park charge of £15 for 24 hours!!! This pub was great for the football too. It only takes just over 5 mins to get to the centre of Chester so its an ideal location. We would definitely stay there again. However, we do feel that the £40 supplement on the travelzoo deal for a Saturday night stay is a little steep!

Room Tip: Maybe ask to be away from the building works.