“Our Short Break”

Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Chester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here for my birthday and we cant thank the staff enough. Our baby is due in 5 weeks so we were abit worried about being away from home but the staff went out of their way to make us as comfortable as possiable. They gave us a larger room on arrival in the new Kings quarter which is beautiful and spotless everywhere. They arranged for our evening meal to be brought upto the room without the room service charge as I really struggle to be comfy in restaurants at the minute. Nothing was too much trouble we had a earlier check in as we had been travelling and they made us feel so welcome and at ease. What a beautiful place to stay and relax, 5 minute walk into town centre along the canel. Gorgeous food and fab breakfast options. Would recommend to anyone well worth a visit. Many thanks

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We booked this hotel bed breakfast and evening meal for 2 nights over Easter for my birthday. It was excellent from start to finish. We did upgrade the room for £30 per night but it was worth every penny. The staff were wonderful particularly the polish girl in the restaurant (I think her name was Kasha but I might be wrong) who served us both nights with first class food. She even produced a birthday cake and gave us prosseco and sang happy birthday! Nothing was too much trouble for the chef who made me extra sauce each night with my fish. The room was beautiful, breakfast was fab and all in all I wouldn't hesitate to return. Thank you all so much...

Room Tip: If u can upgrade your room
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Loved are stay over the easter weekend,upgraded to a suite which was fab,hotel is excellent,clean and will do anything to make your stay good.Staff all helpful
we had the 3 course evening meal with our package which was nice,drinks are abit expensive but you expect that in a Hotel.
breakfast was superb buffet style loads of choice
will stay here again,carpark is £15 abit steep for one night I think

Room Tip: suites are very big and very nice
Whithorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel with a coach trip from my group. The accommodation was good, the staff helpful, food good - breakfast to die for - so much choice and all fresh and delicious! The location right beside the railway station with bus stops - including the open top tour bus - on the doorstep and a 10 min walk via the canal bank into the city centre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here for 1 night and really can't complain at all. We booked a deal which included an executive room located within a newer area of the hotel & the room was superb - good size and very nicely finished. A major plus point was the free wifi which is a major bug bear having to pay for with other hotel chains therefore well done best western!!

We had dinner as part of the deal and again it was excellent as was the breakfast. Typically, drinks are not cheap as is common with most hotels however we didn't actually stay that long in the hotel as we headed out into chester town centre which is only 10 mins walk or a cheap taxi ride away.

The hotel itself is located opposite the train station and has a very nice reception area within the original part of the hotel. Parking is £15 a day in the hotel car park however there is the railway car park next door and another small one opposite which are only £6.

Overall, this is an excellent hotel and we would definitely go back especially if we could get the same package deal.

Room Tip: Spoil yourself and upgrade to an executive room as it's worth it.
1 Thank John5013
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect from this hotel as my experience of Best Western's is quite limited and some of the recollections of friends and colleagues has been mixed at best.

I'll admit upfront that I'm not a big fan of old style hotels and would much prefer a newer property so when I arrived in Chester I was disappointed by what I saw. However, looks can be deceiving and the welcome from the 'trainee' receptionist was very good and efficient and check in was quite straightforward.

Unfortunately during my stay the main lift was being replaced so I had the choice of walking to another part of the hotel to catch a lift to the second floor & then walk the final flight of stairs to my third floor room or walk the three flights of the long sweeping staircase.

On entering my room I was a little disappointed by its size as everything felt a bit cramped and the remains of a previous occupants tea cup in the drawer was less than impressive as was the thick covering of dust on the ledge above the bed. The bathroom was also quite small and the shower pressure was dire - a light drizzle would probably have been more powerful .

Breakfast is the usual buffet arrangement with a good selection of hot and cold items with tea or coffee brought to your table in nice silver pots.

Dinner in the hotel was either a full meal in the restaurant or bar food - I can thoroughly recommend the duck spring rolls from the bar menu. For the most part we ate outside the hotel at one of a number of close by pubs or restaurants all of which provided good, reasonably priced food.

The hotel has its own car park although it does get quite busy at weekends and is expensive although there is also a nearby cheaper public car park. If you are arriving by train then the station is literally across the road. Worth noting that during the football season there may be quite a heavy police presence around the station with the prospect of some noisy police dogs.

Overall a well situated and comfortable hotel with friendly and helpful staff, which, bearing in mind my 'older hotel' reservations I'd be happy to recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business