“Three night discounted d.b.b.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hallmark Inn Chester

Hallmark Inn Chester
Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Three night discounted d.b.b.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

The staff were so friendly and anxious to help, and we were on a discounted Best Western package that worked out at a little over £40 each per night for dinner, bed and breakfast, so that I feel churlish this hotel. However I must report that we stayed in November in cold weather and the radiator in our room did not get sufficiently hot to enable one to relax and read other than in bed. We allegedly had an upgrade, as holders of a BW card, but while there were two armchairs chairs (in many hotels we find only one chair for two people) using one blocked entry to the bathroom door and against the other at the desk prevented access round the end of the bed – there was no room to put them anywhere else. We wondered what the other rooms were like. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and the water very hot.
The restaurant used for dinner appeared not to be heated and was extremely cold – I suffer from Reynaud’s (my fingers go numb at low temperatures) and found the experience most unpleasant, and on one night I was so cold that my fingers shrank so much that my wedding ring, with which I usually have no problem, fell off and was nearly lost (the staff were most concerned and tried to help me find it in places I might have been after dinner). On the first night just as dinner started the only heater was removed to be lent to a guest who had complained of a cold bedroom. It did not reappear the two following nights. The menu was basically the same each night with no specials. It read as though the food had been bought in from a pub supply wholesaler and heated up, but it was alleged on the menu that it was cooked from scratch. It was very difficult to get a low fat meal from the main and dessert course. The pie which was supposed to vary was chicken the first two nights, the pastry was hard and impossible to cut with a knife and the filling was bland and tasteless gloop. The soup was the same two nights running. My husband asked for a medium steak which was served overcooked and too hard to enjoy.To be fair, on my last night in desperation I asked if the cod, which on the menu was fried in beer batter and served with chips and mushy peas, could be poached or steamed , and the chef kindly provided me with a steamed fillet of cod, new potatoes and salad – so perhaps one should ask. The sticky toffee pudding I chose in desperation one evening was very good and did seem home made. Breakfast is taken in a different room where it was warmer. The buffet supplies like sunflower marg. and juice and marmalade sachets were not regularly topped up and the fried eggs were all hard centred on all three mornings. The big bowl of scrambled egg looked so unlike what it was supposed to be that it seemed to remain untouched by guests. Bar prices were high so we patronised a nearby much cheaper place for pre-dinner drink and just had tap water at the meal.
The hotel is an excellent position near the station and the shuttle bus to the centre (which is only 10 mins. walk anyway) starts nearby. Chester was new to us and is a splendid cathedral city with lots to see (and shopping for those who want it).

Room Tip: Try asking for a larger room and inquire about the heating in cold weather.
1 Thank NorwichKate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Conwy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed in the Westminster for 1 night 24/11/2012. It is a lovely hotel and all the staff were nice and friendly. The room was clean and modern very comfortable beds, flat screen tv (no remote though). Nice and warm. Very good breakfast included. The only downside was the domestic that went on from 1am to 3am the floor above us and next to our friends room. Vile people who should have been on the Jeremy Kyle show! The noise and foul language spoiled our stay. The night porter did go and complain to them. But they were obviously too selfish to care or too intoxicated to control their behaviour.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

Excellent hotel with lovely rooms. Ours was huge and spotless. The only disappointment for us was the evening meal. Last time we stayed here they had a different menu for evening meals and it was varied but this time it was *pub grub*. Burgers, hunters chicken, battered cod etc. It does say that if theres something thats not on the menu, to ask and they will try to do it for you. As we dont like batter we asked if they had salmon and were told no. So we asked for the cod to be just grilled and no batter. When it arrived it was not much bigger than a fish finger and very dry. Also we couldnt eat in the main resturaunt because they said there was a conference in there the next day (all the tables were set up ready) so we were put in a very small (cold ) room with just a couple of tables in there. Had we known this we would have eaten out. When we arrived and checked in the reception asked would we like an evening meal and we said yes thinking it would be as nice as last time and in the main resturaunt. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and we will stay again but we would have our evening meals out because theres not much choice here. A good tip when you check in is to ask to see the menu. I was sorry we didnt do this.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are bigger and lovely.
1 Thank disc
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

We chose this hotel for an overnight stay in Chester. The hotel is small/medium size and of an era that suits Chester perfectly. The furnishings and decor are very traditional and and the hotel is really characterful, This is not a modern hotel, the floorboards do creek and the ambience is of an earlier era but this is fantastic and does not detract from the comfort. The breakfast is good and substantial and as stated the location is superb. There are two good car parks within an easy walk where you can park for 24 hours for less than six quid, which is good for Chester. We ate at one of the many local restaurants within a five minute walK, really enjoyed our stay here.

1 Thank rugby6603
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Stayed at the best western Westminster hotel on the 17 th November . I have stayed there before and paid more the first time,but this time only paid £70 for the night and have to say the room was like a very dated broom cupboard . It was very small and desperately in need of a refurb .

Room Tip: Rooms numbered 1-10 are poor
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed here for on a business trip for one night.

The room was small, very dated and freezing. At 5pm I asked reception if they could try to close the window as it was too difficult for me to shut, and I'm not feeble by any means but the window nearly fell out of its frame when I tried to close it. And the radiators in both the room and the bathroom were cold even though they were on the highest setting so I asked if they could switch them on for me. At 8pm I returned to my room to change for dinner and the room was still freezing with the window open, I asked at reception again to help...when I returned at 11pm a mobile oil heater had been placed in my room on the hottest setting so it was now like a sauna, and I daren't open the window in case I couldn't close it again.

The female receptionist was attentive, but only when she had finished texting or doing whatever it was she was doing with her phone and bothered herself to look up at whichever customer was waiting to speak to her.

The 'double' bed was two small singles pushed together, I'm not sure what was wrong with them but the head was lower than the foot of the bed...very strange!

I would not recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rpops
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

I was working nightshift and the maids would wake me up with them cleaning the room above because of the excessive noise of creeking floor boards. Get a top floor room to minimise the noise. The room I had was very small. It was a twin and a good job I liked the guy I was sharing with because it might aswell have been a double because we were that close to each other. Other than that its ok breakfast was very good but get there for it starting as its just been put out.

• Stayed November 2012