“rooms poor standard”

Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“rooms poor standard”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

we were staying at the hotel with a coach party quite a number of people on the trip complained about rooms mainly to hot not being able to turn rads down, our room was same problem not able to rads off did complain said it would be seen never we were there for four nights in november had to sleep with window open, food was fine we were there on a turkey tinsil break lacked in entertainment didn't create a festive experience.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank thomas_r681385

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Oxford
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I arrived fairly late, around 9pm, and was expecting to be able to dine in the hotel restaurant which was advertised as being open until 9.30pm. Perhaps I came on a slow day (tuesday night) but the restaurant was shut, which after a long time was a little annoying. However, there are a few Indians and other restaurants 2 minutes walk up the road so it wasn't the end of the world.

I went into my room which was a decent size for me on my own and comfortable, clean bedding and an OK standard, nothing special. There was an alarm clock that was falling apart and probably needed replacing. However, I didn't explore the room fully as the radiator was stuck on full, and it was hotter than a sauna! I went down to see if reception had a set of pliers as the thermostat had rusted and was not working, and upon realising that the radiator was stuck they moved me to an executive suite in order to give me a more comfortable room, which I was really impressed by. As a young person on my own, I felt that the staff treated me very well, which isn't always the case for younger people!

The new room was massive, but again, just the odd bits let it down, such as a tear on the sofa, the tiling was a bit dodgy, the windows were dirty, taps were a it temperamental etc. But it was comfortable, fine for the one night.

I feel like it just needs a bit of TLC in order to bring the rooms up to standard, and maybe more focussed cleaning staff. On the plus side, free internet, which is pretty speedy, which is always good.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel can be noisy with main road.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben S

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Cotswolds
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Paid about half the rate that the queen hotel wanted across the road and found I had been upgraded to an executive room on arrival. Room and bathroom were both sizeable, clean and very comfortable, I didn't eat at the hotel as we went into the town for dinner with business associates.
Another bonus was the free parking in a pay and display car park next door that didn't charge between 1800 and 0800.
Nice friendly staff at checkin too.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Just outside the railway station and a short, pleasant walk to everything in Chester. Friendly and v.helpful staff, good rooms (but check before you sign because we know of at least one very tiny room that's definitely NOT so good, at least not for more than one small person for one night only!). Great breakfast - all you can eat! We didn't find any noise problems despite being at the front overlooking the main road, but if you retire early it could be an issue. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants just a short walk into the town centre - but avoid the underpass because it attracts "undesirables" on occasions. Overall, probably a lot more peaceful than hotels close to the always busy town centre - and they've got a "sister" hotel across the road to help out if they're full.

Room Tip: If they're nearly full you need to be careful you don't end up in the tiny room we got for o...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013

At £71 for pre booked B&B this was great VFM. The staff were very helpful and the room was great. we even had drinks vouchers in the deal :-)
Very close to nice resaraunts and only a short walk to the canal, walls and town centre

Room Tip: Park at the rear at £2.90 per day is the cheapeast and closest
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stokeyboy
staffordshire
Reviewed 1 January 2013

This is a lovely tudor front hotel. It is very close to the station, so handy if you travel by train. I would say about a ten minute walk max. It is across the road to its sister hotel and this is where you park your car. To walk to chester centre takes about 10 to 15 minutes. There is a subway to go in and i would not like to walk on my own at night. I would recommend a taxi in that case. On the night we stayed they seemed short staffed as the woman on reception was manning the bar aswell and we waited around a bit for her. Also they seemed to be having a time delay for food in the bar room but the staff were very pleasant although the gentleman on reception when we arrived did not seem like he liked to smile much. He seemed to be more friendly the next morning. The rooms were nice and clean and the bar room was spacious for our family. There is a nice pub a bit down the road towards the station with a beer garden. The hotel is lovely and we had no complaints. One of the rooms was a bit small and did not have a view but this did not bother who was staying there. My room was larger and at the front. It was a bit noisy at night with the drunks rolling past. Perhaps if I had been drunk i would not of noticed :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have just returned home after spending Christmas at this hotel , I was thinking of going elsewhere but my friend came to this hotel last year and said it was fantastic, she said the room last year was cramped and did not have a wardrobe so I paid an extra £80 for an '' executive twin '' the first night sleep was intolerable because the room was so hot , I would have needed a wrench to have turned off the heat, when I went to reception the next morning I was told that so many people had said their room was freezing that the heating had been left '' full on '' but they did turn off the radiator in my room, I had ordered pink champagne for Christmas morning [ it is my treat for me, The bottle that they actually bought to me was pink vino spumanti rose' I went to reception and was told that because the pink champagne is £45 a bottle they thought I would much prefer to pay £19 ....... how dare they!!!!!!!! I knew the champagne I ordered would be over £40 that was my choice, the food during the christmas period was good except the last night where there was no choice ..... beef or beef, I dont eat meat , so I just had vegetables I certainly would not go to this hotel for another Christmas, apparently since last Christmas it has changed management, when I paid my bill I found it was made out in my friend's name.....unbelievable

Room Tip: Our room number was 117 on first floor, a great room very comfortable..........
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends