“Good traditional hotel”

Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Chester
London, United Kingdom
“Good traditional hotel”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I have stayed here twice on business. It's clean and good value, food is good and included if booked direct is 3 x free drinks at the bar per night. Rooms comfortable and modern, staff very nice. Good location only 100 m from train station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Main Street
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul C
General M, General Manager at Hallmark Inn Chester, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I booked this hotel last minute, for one Saturday night to meet with family. I had a single room, which although very tiny, met my needs - I didn't plan on being there for anything but sleeping and bathing. I was very happy with the facilities provided - all usual amenities, plus a couple of free drink vouchers and the breakfast was VERY comprehensive. I'm not sure I could have wanted anything for breakfast that they didn't have. Parking next door in a pay and display car park was simple and very cheap - although for some reason, you needed to replace your ticket at midnight! Or move the car on to the road (which I did)....Not the hotel's fault. Reception staff and waiting staff friendly and helpful. Almost next door to the train station, yet only a few minutes walk into town. My ONLY real complaint was the noise. I do think that because the hotel is so reasonable, it fills with stag and hen parties at weekends. It didn't help that my room was right by the stairwell and lift. My advice therefore, is if you are going to stay on a Sunday, or during the week - you will get real value for money - not luxury, but a really good deal. But if you're looking for a good nights sleep.....don't stay Friday or Saturday!!!

Room Tip: Definitely don't have a room near the stairwell or lift, and preferably not at the front of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank toothfairyjulie
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am sorry you were disturbed during the evening due to the boisterous party we had in but pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and were happy with all that was provided, we hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards
Abergele, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

didnt have breakfast or dinner... just one night in a single room.
Extreemely small room and bathroom tiny too, despite having a bath.
TV was one of the old ones (a 14" cube) and the remote switched on the tv, but didnt control chanels or volume.
all in all, not very impressive stay. not that bad, but not that good

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rob L
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in Jan, having stayed here twice before. Have been really happy with the hotel on previous visits but this time not quite so. There was a wedding party in the hotel and some of the guests were very inconsiderate. On the Saturday evening some of them were in the bar and the language was totally unacceptable, however no one from the hotel seemed to be dealing with this. There was a bar downstairs in the hotel which I think could have used for the wedding guests, this would have in some ways gone towards seperating the loud roudy element from other guests. In the middle of the night we were woken by guests in rooms near us. We mentioned this rude awakening to hotel staff on check out and we did receive an apology. I cant say any of this spoilt my weekend, however I will be looking to stay elsewhere in Chester in future.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RAEMEL1
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

we were staying at the hotel with a coach party quite a number of people on the trip complained about rooms mainly to hot not being able to turn rads down, our room was same problem not able to rads off did complain said it would be seen never we were there for four nights in november had to sleep with window open, food was fine we were there on a turkey tinsil break lacked in entertainment didn't create a festive experience.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank thomas_r681385
Oxford
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I arrived fairly late, around 9pm, and was expecting to be able to dine in the hotel restaurant which was advertised as being open until 9.30pm. Perhaps I came on a slow day (tuesday night) but the restaurant was shut, which after a long time was a little annoying. However, there are a few Indians and other restaurants 2 minutes walk up the road so it wasn't the end of the world.

I went into my room which was a decent size for me on my own and comfortable, clean bedding and an OK standard, nothing special. There was an alarm clock that was falling apart and probably needed replacing. However, I didn't explore the room fully as the radiator was stuck on full, and it was hotter than a sauna! I went down to see if reception had a set of pliers as the thermostat had rusted and was not working, and upon realising that the radiator was stuck they moved me to an executive suite in order to give me a more comfortable room, which I was really impressed by. As a young person on my own, I felt that the staff treated me very well, which isn't always the case for younger people!

The new room was massive, but again, just the odd bits let it down, such as a tear on the sofa, the tiling was a bit dodgy, the windows were dirty, taps were a it temperamental etc. But it was comfortable, fine for the one night.

I feel like it just needs a bit of TLC in order to bring the rooms up to standard, and maybe more focussed cleaning staff. On the plus side, free internet, which is pretty speedy, which is always good.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel can be noisy with main road.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben S

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Cotswolds
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Paid about half the rate that the queen hotel wanted across the road and found I had been upgraded to an executive room on arrival. Room and bathroom were both sizeable, clean and very comfortable, I didn't eat at the hotel as we went into the town for dinner with business associates.
Another bonus was the free parking in a pay and display car park next door that didn't charge between 1800 and 0800.
Nice friendly staff at checkin too.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business