“Sleepless night”

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Chester, United Kingdom
“Sleepless night”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Staying at best Western Westminster Chester was not pleasant. The price was quite low but so was the quality of the room and the service. I paid £60/night for a double (no breakfast) and was given a tired room right at the back of the building overlooking a rear yard and a brick wall. The bathroom wasn't clean with hairs on the floor. The window lock was broken. Loud music playing on Wednesday night, middle of the week - not a good hotel to stay on business.The staff wasn't particularly helpful. Would I stay here again? Certainly not.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Only stayed one night. Was given ground floor double room which was very clean. After being in the room less than a minute, however, the toilet roll holder fell off the wall. The TV had no viewable channels and was falling off the shelf. The cup in the room was chipped and the furniture was tired. Could be ok if a little money was spent on the room. The room was immediately next to the bins at the back and we were woken by the sound of staff emptying bottles into the bins. The breakfast was lovely though and the hotel is in a good location.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2013

On booking this hotel the overnight cost was quite reasonable, until after confirming my stay £15 a day was added on for Car Parking. This meant an extra £30.00 which was not advertised.
Needless to say I cancelled immediately.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Pokey room. Tea coffee tv. Great bath! We had such a great night here. We were too tired to venture out for dinner so ate at the hotel restaurant. Dinner & Bar Service was so friendly!! Food was really nice. Reception people were great. Breakfast was ok, a generous buffet but don't expect anything outstanding - uninspired standard cooked breakfast most were cheap meats and overcooked hash floating in oil. Breakfast staff obviously not morning people. Plenty of other choices though. We'll stay again, but maybe not pay for breakfast next time.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

My Husband & I are newly weds and as a wedding present from some friends we received a complimentary stay in Castle Hotel Conwy, so we decided to spend one night in Chester before heading out into Wales.

So we went on to Laterooms.com and found a nice B&B deal, with 2 free drink vouchers per person included so we booked with the Best Western Westminster Hotel.

The location was perfect for us as we both don't drive. The hotel is located right in front of the train station and is walking distance from the pubs, shops, & site seeing, etc.

The staff were friendly, service was great but we had one problem... a broken window (gap in the window frame in room 306). As it was a windy night, it HOWLED through our window and made awfully loud noises that kept us up all through the night and rattled the main bedroom door. If the window had been sealed the noises from the wind would have been normal and tolerable.

At around 2.30am my husband & I began to get fed up with the struggle to fall asleep, so we had decided to inform a member of staff and request a possible room move. Unfortunately our bedroom phone was not connected and we couldn't find a LAN port to connect it to.

I went down to the main reception and was greeted by the night porter on shift. He was very kind and very helpful. He was able to offer us a room move but unfortunately the hotel only had standard twin rooms available. I myself work in the hospitality and tourism industry as a Reservations Manager and was slightly baffled as to why the hotel had run out of doubles but had so many twin rooms available.

The night porter gave me a key to room 222 and allowed my husband & I to view the room before hand and decide if we want to move into a twin or stay in a double. We accepted the room because the silence was bliss!

After we moved rooms and settled into our separate beds I noticed that the beds were infact 'Zip & Links'. So again I pondered, if the hotel was fully booked on standard doubles, why had none of the standard 'Zip & Links' twin rooms been made up as a doubles? As a suggestion, in the event of fully booked room types, why not convert one or two Zip & Links incase of the likely hood of a situation arising where room moves may be possible.

My husband & I were thankful of having the option to move rooms otherwise we both would of been a terrible night sleep but as newly weds we were greatly disappointed that we had to sleep apart.

All-in-all, the hotel has the potential to be outstanding but petulant matters get in the way...

As another suggestion, the bar area was like a graveyard. Something as subtle as background music could have completely transformed the atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2013
wiltshire
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Arrived at the hotel to learn that parking was confined to roadside parking or risking the carpark behind the hotel.
The reception and public areas were nicely presented and its a shame that this effort did not extend to the rooms.
I was allocated room 3 which had numerous problems aside from the view of the dumpsters and the afore mentioned carpark that made me feel glad to be out and about most of the time i was in Chester.
I didnt use the restaurant but used the bar for meals and both evenings i dined well save for the over cooked chips and needing to wait at the bar to request condiments while my meal was getting cold.
In all was ok but given the choice would stay at the Queens everytime.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank WiltshireKarens
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Arrival greeting was good. The only staff member that seemed to care!
But after that it all went wrong!
Curtain rail hanging off the wall, window would not close. Light bulbs missing. A layer of dust on chair that I could sign my name in.
Double room but not enough room to get clothes in the wardrobe the chair was in the way.
Bathroom small. Rogue hairs in toilet!! Yuck
Like Fawlty Towers at breakfast 1 guy running around!
Overall Poor would not recommend