“Disappointing”

Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Where to start? Well, first impressions of the exterior of the hotel were good - nice mock tudor effect frontage, some lovely old nick-nacks in the reception area. The rest of the hotel experience doesn’t live up to the outer appearance. As we checked in, we were informed that the debit/credit card machine wasn't working. This was a sign of more shortcomings ahead. The advertisement for the hotel listed £10 per day car parking - this isn't true. You can pay and display in the car parks nearby for a few hours or for the evening but you then have to go back to your car to renew your ticket in the morning. There were no menus for the advertised 3 course dinner to peruse as we checked in at around lunch time as the chef hadn’t decided on what the choices would be yet!?! As we opened the door to our ‘standard double’ room we were surprised – and not in a good way – at its size, or should I say lack of it. Scarcely enough room for a small chair either side of the bed and a small space the width of a not very large adult in front of the bed. The view from the window was a brick wall and the wood around the window was rotten, as it was in the bathroom. This contained grotty, old sealant work around the cheap, small bathroom suite and there was mould on the window panes. When we first turned on the tap it shuddered so loudly it was if the whole hotel was about to come down. There was a diminutive old kettle and some tea and coffee in the room but no bottles of drinking water. It’s a good job we didn’t want to lie in the next morning as the cleaner was outside of our room with a very noisy hoover first thing. She had left numerous fresh towels up and down the corridor on a grey carpet that looked like it was in need of a good clean. Breakfast was fine although we did have to ask 3 times before we got any toast and tea. Upon checking out, no-one asked if we had enjoyed our stay – I think they knew. You don’t expect perfection in a 3 star hotel but we had booked a one night b&b £110 deal and expected much better.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see its size before you accept the room?
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
UK
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed for two nights. We were checkied in by a young man who chewed something with his mouth open through this process. Our room had a canopy over the bed which was thick with dust and we didn't want to sleep beneath it. A staff member came to the room and thought it bad enough to photograph and show to the manager. She took us to another room which we accepted although the bathroom could have been cleaner. Long black hairs around along with dust bunnies. 2 minutes after accepting the room the same member of staff knocked on the door to check on a ceiling light fitting that had been reported loose. While she was there I turned on the hot water tap in the bathroom. After 30 seconds the noise was so deafening we thought the tap was about to explode off the sink. This time she took a video of the tap to show the manager. She took us to a third room which we accepted however we were very unhappy to find a window which opened at knee level. This was a tall window with no stop on the opening and can be pushed out a very long way. The beds were clean in all 3 rooms and the breakfast was nice. A different young man checked us out and was kind enough to refund the cost on one night.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I sent this letter to the hotel manager and wanted to share my thoughts here for those who are considering staying. It's a lovely old hotel with some updated furnishings in a beautiful city with love, lovely people!!!

It was such a pleasure staying at the Westminster Hotel in Chester these last two nights and we just wanted to say thank you to your and your whole staff who made it all so special. We loved staying in a historic 1866 building and found our room so comfortable, clean and quiet and I loved your decorators choice of color scheme and furniture it really gave it a slightly modern feel in a charming building.

The best part of our stay however was the staff. You all go out of your way to make your guests happy and it was like being home rather than a hotel. It was such a pleasure chatting with your staff who gave great recommendations on things to see and do and where to eat. We especially want to commend yourself for always being so gracious, friendly and incredibly helpful and also Kirsty, Cassie (who is just so sweet and helpful,) Nik and James. James really made us laugh and he truly went out of his way to make us comfortable. He found me a great laundromat in Hoole and gave great directions on how to get there and he also had fabulous restaurant recommendations and even took the time to get us a hop-on-hop-off bus brochure where there weren't any at the front desk and then brought it up to us that evening. I think he actually had to run across the street to get it which was so incredibly kind of him.

We really can only say phenomenal things about your staff and the hotel in general. And also please let Kirsty and the food and beverage staff know how much we truly enjoyed their adorable card and the delicious shortbread cookies they left for us in our room. That was such a special treat and such a special touch to make us feel even more at home. And the food and beverage staff do an incredible breakfast buffet, it's one of the best we've had while traveling around Europe.

Chester is clearly a city renowned for it's friendly residents as well as all it's historic treasures. We look forward to our next visit and wish you all continued happiness, health and success.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Happytravels017
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I am not a person who normally complains, but I thought on this occasion, I would make people aware of my dissatisfaction at staying at this hotel. I checked into the Best Western Westminster Hotel Chester on 28th May 2013, unfortunately I was given room 216. I’m guessing because I checked in late (after 9pm) and possibly the hotel was busy that some of the poorest rooms had to be allocated.

I thought I should detail the room condition upon my entry: -

• The room smelt of damp and was damp (initially I thought it was just stale air as perhaps room not often / if ever occupied)
• Room not clean – with stains (perhaps split drinks) on the carpet
• Broken / not working shaving point
• Fussy TV
• Wobbly / partially broken old bed

On top of this my wake call never occurred (at 7am), luckily I didn’t rely on it. In the morning after my first night, I mentioned the issues with the room and I was told someone would look into them (I left the bedroom window open to air the room). As far as I could see when I returned nothing was resolved and room definitely was damp. At that point I should have asked to move or just checked out and moved to the premier inn or somewhere similar, but didn’t as had a hard day’s work!

I don’t expect anything to come from this email, I’m just very disappointed with my stay. It has obviously put me off considering staying at other Best Western Hotels for work or pleasure!

On the whole the staff were very nice, just that my room was a disaster. On a positive note the bathroom was clean and apart from the shaving point, was of a good standard. The room was tiny, but as it was so small expected it to be easy to clean, but it wasn't!

Room Tip: If offered room 216 refuse!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Preston
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westminster this bank holiday weekend (Spring Bank Bank Holiday). I have to say the location is ideal. Only a 2 minute walk to the train station, where we took a train to Llandudno for the day. The rooms were big enough and the beds were comfy with good pillows. A bath big enough to float in! Happy days! :) Good value for money. And its only a 10 minute walk to the town centre. Numerous restaurants on the same road, we tried the City Spice which was excellent value for money. Would definately revisit

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I am almost 60 and have stayed in a lot of hotels, this would come n the bottom 10.

My close friends son is getting married and I was invited to accompany her on the hen night. There were 14 of us; 5 older women and 9 lovely young ladies. I am guessing the hotel had presumed we were a rough rowdy hen party and put us in their worst rooms.

The mother of the bride was but in a twin room with her sister in the basement, with a view of a wall. The room was horrendous and they were given a full refund on leaving.

However, this is my review and my friend and I were sharing a first floor twin.we had paid £90 for the too and a further £10 each for breakfast.
The room was small and badly in need of an upgrade. The tv was an old fashioned large shape thing hung from a bracket n the wall.
The beds were comfy enough, however the bed lights were in a rickety wood panel and my friends didn't work.

The roof had cracks everywhere where tiles had moved, the wardrobes were painted chip board.
The bathroom was not clean, with tiles loose around the bath.

We arrived too late to make a fuss and were just staying one night, thank goodness.

On leaving the hotel I spoke with the receptionist about my disappointment with my room. He asked for my room number and agreed with me, Immediately saying he would give me a 50% refund, which we accepted. My friends daughter also was offered a 50% discount; their toilet had broken.

I have taken some photos but not sure how to upload them.

Pros: caring and attentive staff, comfortable beds.short taxi ride from centre.

Negatives: tired worn hotel, over priced for its condition. Was depressing.
We were at the front and it was extremely noisy, from drunks going home to a road sweeper at 5 a.m.

Room Tip: We paid for a better room, if I had have had the time Would have asked for another room on arrival...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The staff are friendly and efficient, the rooms are practical and the beds are comfy. We had some issues with water pressure, but not enough to spoil our stay...

For the price you won't be disappointed

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple