“Very nicely located across from the train station and ten min. from everywhere”

Hallmark Inn Chester
Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This B.W. is a cut above , yet maintains the charm of Chester. Tudor look with modern room bedding and video. We enjoyed out stay and will use them again to enjoy the charm of this amazing city of Chester. Next time we will spend more time in both.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Stayed at the Westminster hotel in may. Booked it for friends sixtieth birthday, great place to visit hotel in good position for all amenities. Hotel good and clean staff very welcoming and friendly.

would stop their again,

Phil

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

some people reviewing on here need to lighten up a little and not take life so seriously this hotel deserves nothing but praise for the staff its management and customer service

this hotel is a gem hidden under mock tudor window frames on the outside combined with modern furniture and pleasing history on the walls inside. although only staying for two nights i was somewhat surprised by the level of customer service i recieved, on arrival I was met by a very cheerful receptionist whom also doubled as the duty manager and was quite clearly going out of her way to ensure guests were made to feel welcome. As check in progressed I was given directions to my room and the staff from the bar offered to help me with my bags into the lift they could obviously see I was struggling but I didnt expect them to help. the room was perfect for me a great size and spotlessly clean.
I called down to reception to ask about the evenings menu in the restaurant and Kirsty told me she would speak to the chef and get back to me ASAP but if theres nothing I fancied she would ask the chef if they could cook up any reasonable request, what more could I ask for it was like having my own personal chef on my trip!!!
Overall my two night stay was a delight of customer service from all staff that I met with the food and beverage staff often going out of their way to ensure I was happy. I would say the staff made it feel like I was surrounded by old friends which is a welcome experience when on a business trip alone.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a hotel that is close enough to the city for all your business or leisure needs but far enough away to escape the hustle and bustle relaxing in an old (tudor styling) but modern environment where staff will go above and beyond to make yoru stay perfect. I will be using this hotel at every possible chance in the future

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Bodmin, Cornwall
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I would avoid this one if you can. It's fairly close to the centre of town but has nothing else going for it. Some of what we found was simply inexcusable. Our check-in was perfunctory. We were travelling with two other couples. One couple took one look at the room they'd been allocated and refused to enter it. They were give another room, three times the size, at the same rate. We should not have accepted the room (304) we were given, either - perhaps I ought to complain more. It was simply not large enough for two people. This was an attic room with a sloping ceiling and orange walls, so the effect was even more claustrophobic. The bathroom was tiny, labyrinthine, and had an electronic shower which didn't work very well. At the end of our stay my wife found someone's toenail clippings on the carpet between the bedside cabinet and the bed; the cleaning had been woefully neglected. One of the other couples found a dirty T-shirt under their bed. Our towels smelt unpleasant. When my wife pointed these things out to the receptionist she apologised in an offhand way; one presumes she is no stranger to negative comment. I always try to find something positive to say about a hotel... in this case the breakfast was quite good. Our room cost £99 a night but would have been intolerable at any price.

Room Tip: Don't accept one of the box rooms; complain and you'll get something better.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Where to start? Well, first impressions of the exterior of the hotel were good - nice mock tudor effect frontage, some lovely old nick-nacks in the reception area. The rest of the hotel experience doesn’t live up to the outer appearance. As we checked in, we were informed that the debit/credit card machine wasn't working. This was a sign of more shortcomings ahead. The advertisement for the hotel listed £10 per day car parking - this isn't true. You can pay and display in the car parks nearby for a few hours or for the evening but you then have to go back to your car to renew your ticket in the morning. There were no menus for the advertised 3 course dinner to peruse as we checked in at around lunch time as the chef hadn’t decided on what the choices would be yet!?! As we opened the door to our ‘standard double’ room we were surprised – and not in a good way – at its size, or should I say lack of it. Scarcely enough room for a small chair either side of the bed and a small space the width of a not very large adult in front of the bed. The view from the window was a brick wall and the wood around the window was rotten, as it was in the bathroom. This contained grotty, old sealant work around the cheap, small bathroom suite and there was mould on the window panes. When we first turned on the tap it shuddered so loudly it was if the whole hotel was about to come down. There was a diminutive old kettle and some tea and coffee in the room but no bottles of drinking water. It’s a good job we didn’t want to lie in the next morning as the cleaner was outside of our room with a very noisy hoover first thing. She had left numerous fresh towels up and down the corridor on a grey carpet that looked like it was in need of a good clean. Breakfast was fine although we did have to ask 3 times before we got any toast and tea. Upon checking out, no-one asked if we had enjoyed our stay – I think they knew. You don’t expect perfection in a 3 star hotel but we had booked a one night b&b £110 deal and expected much better.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see its size before you accept the room?
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn F
UK
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed for two nights. We were checkied in by a young man who chewed something with his mouth open through this process. Our room had a canopy over the bed which was thick with dust and we didn't want to sleep beneath it. A staff member came to the room and thought it bad enough to photograph and show to the manager. She took us to another room which we accepted although the bathroom could have been cleaner. Long black hairs around along with dust bunnies. 2 minutes after accepting the room the same member of staff knocked on the door to check on a ceiling light fitting that had been reported loose. While she was there I turned on the hot water tap in the bathroom. After 30 seconds the noise was so deafening we thought the tap was about to explode off the sink. This time she took a video of the tap to show the manager. She took us to a third room which we accepted however we were very unhappy to find a window which opened at knee level. This was a tall window with no stop on the opening and can be pushed out a very long way. The beds were clean in all 3 rooms and the breakfast was nice. A different young man checked us out and was kind enough to refund the cost on one night.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I sent this letter to the hotel manager and wanted to share my thoughts here for those who are considering staying. It's a lovely old hotel with some updated furnishings in a beautiful city with love, lovely people!!!

It was such a pleasure staying at the Westminster Hotel in Chester these last two nights and we just wanted to say thank you to your and your whole staff who made it all so special. We loved staying in a historic 1866 building and found our room so comfortable, clean and quiet and I loved your decorators choice of color scheme and furniture it really gave it a slightly modern feel in a charming building.

The best part of our stay however was the staff. You all go out of your way to make your guests happy and it was like being home rather than a hotel. It was such a pleasure chatting with your staff who gave great recommendations on things to see and do and where to eat. We especially want to commend yourself for always being so gracious, friendly and incredibly helpful and also Kirsty, Cassie (who is just so sweet and helpful,) Nik and James. James really made us laugh and he truly went out of his way to make us comfortable. He found me a great laundromat in Hoole and gave great directions on how to get there and he also had fabulous restaurant recommendations and even took the time to get us a hop-on-hop-off bus brochure where there weren't any at the front desk and then brought it up to us that evening. I think he actually had to run across the street to get it which was so incredibly kind of him.

We really can only say phenomenal things about your staff and the hotel in general. And also please let Kirsty and the food and beverage staff know how much we truly enjoyed their adorable card and the delicious shortbread cookies they left for us in our room. That was such a special treat and such a special touch to make us feel even more at home. And the food and beverage staff do an incredible breakfast buffet, it's one of the best we've had while traveling around Europe.

Chester is clearly a city renowned for it's friendly residents as well as all it's historic treasures. We look forward to our next visit and wish you all continued happiness, health and success.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family