“A reasonable B & B”

Hallmark Inn Chester
Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Do not pay full price for this hotel
Our room was in the far reaching corners of the hotel and didn't even have a light outside the door which proved difficult when trying to find the keyhole
We booked a double room which was 2 beds pushed together. This wouldn't have been too bad if they hadn't put a thick mattress cover on top of one but not the other making them different heights. On the plus side, this did make the bed very wide. The room was very small and nothing like the pictures.
The housekeeping staff did a very good job and the room including bathroom - very clean
The breakfast was nice though not great. On the first day we didn't get toast but everything else was ok.
On the second day we didn't get the extra toast we asked for and the teapot was full of tealeaves. There were no glasses for orange juice and the ones that eventually came were warm.
The hot breakfast was very nice and plentiful. The continental was not as good and the cheese mouldy.
The staff, from housekeeping to front of house were very polite and very helpful.
I would stay again if it were somewhere to 'lay my head' but not for anything special

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Hallmark Inn Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Sara B
On behalf of the entire team here, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we shall use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to make sure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
Your feedback will be shared and discussed with the whole team to ensure we address your areas of concern.

There are newer reviews for Hallmark Inn Chester

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for my business needs for some years now, so they must be doing something right! Nice location, right opposite the train station; Nice and friendly staff, always happy to assist with any issues that may arise during your stay. This Hotel, as others, has standard rooms and executive rooms, obviously at different prices, although on occasion they may give free upgrades depending on their reservations. I always stay 'Bed & Breakfast' and have to say that the breakfast does not disappoint, and never has. If you go hungry after this breakfast, it's your own fault, as it's serve yourself 'buffet' style. Evening dining at the Hotel can be booked on arrival and always has a good menu to suit all tastes. The Hotel has three floors and does have a lift for those not wanting or who probably cannot, use the stairs. There is a good sized Bar in the Hotel serving well known Beers, Lagers and Spirits, and which I make use of on every visit. If you are on holiday, family or weekend break, the Town centre is only about 10 minutes on foot, or there are Buses and Taxis about 50 metres away from the front door. I am quite happy with this Hotel and will continue to use it whilst ever I continue with Business in the Chester area.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms at the front of the Hotel are the best ones, although most of those are Executive...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear IanJay

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My boyfriend and I only stayed for one night as we were in the Chester area. The pictures advertised were what we based our stay upon and we were therefore to be disappointed when receiving our room. Whilst the room was relatively clean, it was nothing like what the picture advertised was like. The TV did not work, the carpets were turned up in corners, there were chips in the bath, wallpaper peeling off and the toilet did not flush properly with deposits in. Needless to say we went to reception and explained the situation and asked for a full refund. We ended up in Liverpool in the end and stayed in a 5 star hotel for 16 pound extra. I would strongly recommend finding someone else to stay in Chester as both mine and my boyfriends experience was unpleasant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BAL9332

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit . I would like to offer my apologies for the disappointment you experienced on arrival. Our main priority is always to provide a high standard of service and facilities to our guests and clearly in your case, we failed to achieve this.
We hope that you will consider us in the future so we can provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Only stayed for the one night as a night away with the hubby, the hotel is opposite the train station. on arrival room wasn't ready but we were allowed to keep our overnight bag in a room by reception. Walked into town which was literally a 10min walk, pleasant enough. Room was nice, basic, but nice. Had tea, coffee facilitys, could done with more if im on honest. Bathroom was nice, although the loo wasn't flushing. (we fixed this ourselves) while checking out another person stayin at the hotel said he had the same problem with their toilet. Bed was comfy, bedding was clean. Was a little noisey with the pipes in bathroom and the landing outside was creaky, so people coming and goin from their rooms in morn disturbed us a little. Overall I would stay again, if on offer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Penny2004

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and thank you for your constructive comments all of which will be actioned by the relevant departments.We do have many toilets with Eco flushes and sometimes these will be a little slow so I can only apologise about this.
We hope you will stay with us again and enjoy all that Chester has to offer.

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend wanted a last minute room on our way back from wales. Found this room with pictures that showed obviously the best room in the hotel! Checked in with no reservation found on the system and a hand written slip! Was told room number and bar is too the right..walking away asking what is the check out time? How much was the parking?
Getting in the room the curtains were held up with a total of 4 hooks and shoved behind the wardrobe to be held back..just as we stood in a whole under the carpet! As we put the lights on that didnt work on we could see a poorly made bed!
Yes it was a cheap an not so cheerful stay!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Emily G
Thank you for your comments, I have investigated all the details regarding your booking and would like to apologise that we did not exceed your expectations. I have made sure that housekeeping have revisited their training.
Hopefully you will visit again to allow us to provide you with a superior experience and apologise that you didn't enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went here on a choir tour. Having read some fairly horrible reviews, I wasn't much looking forward to it to be perfectly frank - but it was much better than I expected!

The hotel is in a prime location, 10-15 minutes away from the city centre and just across the road from the train station. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly dealing with our group of 24 even when owing to some fairly horrible traffic we arrived late. Breakfast is tasty and filling, and comes as a buffet so you can pick and choose what you want. The one thing I would say is that I'd like a tray or something - I know it feels a lot like a school canteen but I personally find it difficult to balance a plate, a bowl and a glass all at the same time. They have free wifi which is reasonable for tweeting or using tumblr, for example, but it doesn't seem to like skype very much.

The rooms are small and dark; mine had a lovely view of some brickwork and pipes. There were about 4 plug sockets for electrical appliances that all seemed to work. There was a table for putting stuff on, but it was small. The TV was a tiny little box thing with only 8 channels; some people had flat-screen TVs but they were a bit pixelly by all accounts. For some reason, they insist on giving you 3 pillows, including a rather dirty red cushion that I propped up by the wall. I slept reasonably comfortably (albeit both nights I was very tired). The radiator can be turned up or down, contrary to some earlier reviews, but be very careful about drawing the curtains - my roommate broke the curtain rail twice just by trying to draw the curtains and had to fix it herself two nights in a row.

Each room has an en-suite that seems to be reasonably clean. Contrary to older reviews, the flush and the hot and cold water taps actually work and they give you little soaps, shampoos and such. The towels are also reasonably clean. The shower works but it's a shower head above a bath.

While the rooms also looked reasonably clean - there was no rubbish anywhere and all the bin linings were replaced every day - my mattress lining was dirty and ripped, and I know I didn't dirty or rip any of it. Ewwwww!

Overall this wouldn't be my place of choice to stay in Chester - I'd check out the Premier Inn nearby, or the Queens Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear OsnatK

Thank you for your comprehensive review, we take all of our reviews seriously and I will take on board your constructive comments and action them with the teams and make sure that all training is revisited and hopefully you will consider staying with us again in the future and allowing us to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed 25 May 2014