“another great stay”

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“another great stay”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

another great stay at the westminster theres not much more I can say about this hotel ive stayed here 6 times in the last year and it never fails to impress me from the moment I walk through the door the staff couldnt be more helpful its like coming home as they welcome me like family. The reception team will always go above and beyond to ensure my stay is perfect even picking things up for me on their days off such as a new laptop charger and bringing it into the hotel for me thanks guys you saved my bacon!!! it wasnt only me that the reception staff go out of their way for I seen another guest bring his shopping in which the staff happily put in the freezer until he was leaving in a few days cant fault them. Tessa the general manager is a leading force behind the team and you can see from her management style that she always wants the staff to do better as perfection is the only way. on this most recent trip I was pushed for time with meeting and so I chose to eat in the restaurant although id had breakfast many times which is amazing id never eaten in the evening and I must say if im lucky enough to come back I will be doing so again the service was spot on from laura and kirsty ensuring I had everything I wanted during my meal. The food I had was so full of flavour and vibrant in its presentation you couldnt help but want the night to last longer I even sent my compliments to the chef. I retired for a drink in the bar afterwards and Heidi as always was very cheerful and happy. Overall I was extremely happy with my stay and wont stay anywhere else in chester when im on business trips.

Room Tip: choose and executive room you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 186337Griff79
General M, General Manager at Hallmark Inn Chester, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Grif79

Thank you for your lovely review, I will make sure all of the staff are aware and that you especially enjoyed the food which I know our Chef will be very happy about.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the BEST WESTERN Westminster Hotel soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Huddersfield
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel a few years ago and couldn't fault it. Not this time! We arrived on a very humid weekend. In my original room I tried to open the sash cord window as the room was so hot. Both sashes were broken. The bathroom was so minute the sink was in the bedroom itself. I asked to be moved which I duly was. As soon as I walked in to my second room I went to open the window and noticed a great deal of dust on the window sill. I then ran my hand over the casing of the pipes. There wasn't a few days worth of dust, there was weeks worth and an enormous dead moth on the floor. The waste bin was rusty and had tea bag stains all over the outside. I went to complain and asked for a reduction of the rate as the hotel was charging £94 for the room. The staff willingly obliged. My friends room had a filthy carpet and although we were on the second floor there was no safety catch on the windows and they opened wide enough for anyone to fall out of. Staff reported that they had asked for this to be addressed 3 times!!!! Totally dangerous. The stair carpet is thread bare in many places. I had to ask at reception for someone to serve us at the bar on the first night. Breakfast was fine and served in a nice dining area. The hotel is in need of some attention and the housekeepers need a very, very firm word.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie H
Dear Julie H

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I apologise that there was issues with your bedrooms and having investigated can confirm that the rooms you stayed in will undergo a full refurbishment during this year as part of our rolling maintenance program and thank you for your constructive comments all of which will be actioned within the relevant departments.
I am very sorry that on this occasion we were unable to exceed your expectations.

We hope you will visit again to see the progress

Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel suits the very essence of Chester with its charming centre and excellent shops.If you arrive by train it is straight ahead only 50 yards away.Very convenient for the city centre,and all the amenities that the area can offer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear DrJeffrey

Thank you for your review and we hope that you will visit us at the hotel again soon.

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Quite well positioned particularly if your travelling by train , attentive staff , checking in and put was handled very well , room was way around the back through a warren of dimly lit corridors ... Room was very standard and would benefit from a lick of paint and a bit of a makeover

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rob L
Dear Rob L

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Westminster Hotel I am pleased that your stay with us was mostly a positive experience and that you found customer service good.
We do have a continual re decoration programme in place to constantly improve on our bedroom stock and will make sure that we also look at the corridors. We have in the last week added extra signage which hopefully will help.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Do not pay full price for this hotel
Our room was in the far reaching corners of the hotel and didn't even have a light outside the door which proved difficult when trying to find the keyhole
We booked a double room which was 2 beds pushed together. This wouldn't have been too bad if they hadn't put a thick mattress cover on top of one but not the other making them different heights. On the plus side, this did make the bed very wide. The room was very small and nothing like the pictures.
The housekeeping staff did a very good job and the room including bathroom - very clean
The breakfast was nice though not great. On the first day we didn't get toast but everything else was ok.
On the second day we didn't get the extra toast we asked for and the teapot was full of tealeaves. There were no glasses for orange juice and the ones that eventually came were warm.
The hot breakfast was very nice and plentiful. The continental was not as good and the cheese mouldy.
The staff, from housekeeping to front of house were very polite and very helpful.
I would stay again if it were somewhere to 'lay my head' but not for anything special

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sara B
On behalf of the entire team here, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we shall use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to make sure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
Your feedback will be shared and discussed with the whole team to ensure we address your areas of concern.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for my business needs for some years now, so they must be doing something right! Nice location, right opposite the train station; Nice and friendly staff, always happy to assist with any issues that may arise during your stay. This Hotel, as others, has standard rooms and executive rooms, obviously at different prices, although on occasion they may give free upgrades depending on their reservations. I always stay 'Bed & Breakfast' and have to say that the breakfast does not disappoint, and never has. If you go hungry after this breakfast, it's your own fault, as it's serve yourself 'buffet' style. Evening dining at the Hotel can be booked on arrival and always has a good menu to suit all tastes. The Hotel has three floors and does have a lift for those not wanting or who probably cannot, use the stairs. There is a good sized Bar in the Hotel serving well known Beers, Lagers and Spirits, and which I make use of on every visit. If you are on holiday, family or weekend break, the Town centre is only about 10 minutes on foot, or there are Buses and Taxis about 50 metres away from the front door. I am quite happy with this Hotel and will continue to use it whilst ever I continue with Business in the Chester area.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms at the front of the Hotel are the best ones, although most of those are Executive...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear IanJay

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My boyfriend and I only stayed for one night as we were in the Chester area. The pictures advertised were what we based our stay upon and we were therefore to be disappointed when receiving our room. Whilst the room was relatively clean, it was nothing like what the picture advertised was like. The TV did not work, the carpets were turned up in corners, there were chips in the bath, wallpaper peeling off and the toilet did not flush properly with deposits in. Needless to say we went to reception and explained the situation and asked for a full refund. We ended up in Liverpool in the end and stayed in a 5 star hotel for 16 pound extra. I would strongly recommend finding someone else to stay in Chester as both mine and my boyfriends experience was unpleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BAL9332

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit . I would like to offer my apologies for the disappointment you experienced on arrival. Our main priority is always to provide a high standard of service and facilities to our guests and clearly in your case, we failed to achieve this.
We hope that you will consider us in the future so we can provide you with a superior experience.