“Poor hotel”

Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Chester
UK
“Poor hotel”
Reviewed 15 November 2008

The only good points about the hotel are the location and breakfast. The room showed signs of damp and smelled it too. Bathroom was old fashioned and the zip link beds were uncomfortable. To top it off, when we checked out, they failed to validate the parking ticket properly. I normally forgive hotels which are average but good value, here the hotel was poor and not good value.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
uk
Reviewed 29 September 2008

first of all the good things about the hotel - central, clean, friendly staff, good breakfast... what I REALLY didn't like was the room! It was actually the smallest twin room I've ever attempted to inhabit. My friend and I had to take turns moving around the room, and if it wasn't our turn, we sat on the bed! It also faced out onto a chute, which was unpleasant enough - more unpleasant when the hotel staff used it for a smoking area. The tv screen was smaller than my laptop, and we had to use the same plastic glass for 4 days. We rang reception when we first arrived to give them a chance to find us something better, but all she could offer us was the same room, but in the basement!... so it was a choice between a bloody awful room, and a dungeon.. kind of makes the bloody awful room look a bit better, hey? Basically, this was a small single that they managed to squeeze 2 beds into to get a higher tarrif. My friend and I travelled all across america, staying in best western all the way, and all I can say about this particular hotel is that it dilutes the brand - it doesn't deserve to hold the name.

• Liked — friendly staff, central location, adequate breakfast
  • Disliked — size and outlook of bedroom
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

stoke on trent
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Me and the boy fancied a trip to Chester Zoo and decided to stay over the night as we were celebrating our 5 month anniversary (!) and stumbled upon an online deal at the Best Western Westminster which included Zoo tickets.
Booked up as the deal was pretty good.
On arriving at the station which found the hotel in about 30 seconds, Checked in no probs and went to our room. Which was fab. Okay it was on the small side but very well decorated and clean.
Went down to the very swish looking hotel bar and had a drink before heading into Chester.
Came back and had a fabulous nights sleep in the very comfy double bed.
Breakfast was wonderful. Didnt feel rushed. Fresh toast was put on our table. Lovel fresh fruit, juice and a well stocked hot selection. Service was impeccable.
Check out was fine.
All staff we encountered were very friendly and very helpful.
I would definately recommend this hotel and will hopefully be staying again... if the boy pays!

• Liked — Location, Breakfast, Room, Staff, Bar, Big chair in Bar
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bexxieboo
Lancashire
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I stayed in this hotel for my 21st birthday with a few of my friends, upon arrival we went to check our 2 rooms, as one of the rooms were a lot better than the other we asked why and asked to change rooms as we had all paid the same price. However there were no rooms available, the next problem was that one of the rooms did not even have a shower (which girls need whilst getting ready for a night out) when we asked what we should do the staff were helpful and gave us a key for a separate room to use just for a shower. When we went to look at this room it was tucked away near the basement and had such a smell in the room we refused to even go in it let alone have a shower so we had to make do with a bath. For our troubles we were given 3 bottles of complimentary wine. Our room overall was old fashioned and deff needed an update as it was quite shabby in some parts. I would not really reccommend this hotel to anyone and would not stay here again, but the staff were helpfull, the breakfast was good and the location was handy.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
ontario
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I walked in the door and ate a nice breakfast. The staff put my bag away and said I could come back after 2pm. I told them I might be back late.

I returned after 10pm; was served by a very nice young women and went to my room. The hotel went downhill from there.

The door to my room was a u-shaped barn door style handle better suited to a farm. The lock was barely adequate [I pushed my chair against it] and the rooms windows barely opened. However I stayed as it was 10pm and I wasn't up to a hotel hunt.

However, it was better and cheaper than it's fancier sister 'The Queen'. which I went to the next day as I was looking for something better.

Both these hotels are dirty and unsafe.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Unsafe and dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2008

We were a little unsure about booking this hotel. We were looking for a one night stay over the Bank Holiday weekend and most hotels in Chester appeared to be either expensive, out of town (we had no car) or had poor reviews. After weighing things up we decided to take a chance at the Best Western Westminster as it appeared to offer decent accommodation in a good location at a reasonable price - we are glad we did.

As others have said, the hotel is located about 100m from entrance to the railway station and a short 10 minute walk into town. Provided you avoid the subway, you should feel totally safe.

On check-in we were delighted to receive an upgrade to an Executive Suite. This was a large room featuring a double bed with canopy, large bathroom and raised sitting area. This was definitely a bonus!

The breakfast is "reasonable" - we have had better but the staff work really hard to please and there should be enough of a choice to put you on for most of the day.

The hotel bar looked to have been recently refurbished although we did not have a drink there during our stay. There is a good choice of pubs and restuarants in the City Centre.

The staff both on reception and at breakfast are really helpful and service is clearly taken very seriously at this hotel - well done!

A couple of things you may want to be aware off. It is a fairly old property and it appeared that the hotel is used by coach trips. These may or may not bother you - did not affect our stay.

Chester is a very nice city - lots to see and do - good choice of pubs and restaurants and felt safe as well.

Overall, we were glad we chose to stay in Chester and at the Best Western Westminster.

• Liked — The location, the service and the room upgrade
  • Disliked — Noise outside at night and hash browns at breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I had read the reviews about breakfast and cannot believe why they had been put on as my boyfriend and I thought the breakfast was fanastic. I had a full English breakfast, the sausages to die for and there was a good selection of food. The menu also did things like poridge and pancake stacks but I was too full!

overall this was a great hotel, we only paid £59 which included 2 free zoo tickets, we were given a free upgrade into one of the new rooms which is modern, had a great big king size bed, and a flat screen TV.

All the staff were really helpful with local knowledge of Chester and I will come back to this hotel when we come back to Chester! I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — The free upgraded room!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple