“Dinner, bed & breakfast”

Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed for one night in January (3rd - 4th) 2012. Greeted at reception by welcoming staff and a hot cookie. They offer you newspapers for the morning and a reservation for dinner. The room was clean and modern with a comfy King Size bed. You can even listen to the TV in the bathroom.

We went to use the spa and the staff were very helpful. It was fairly busy but there's plenty to choose from. You can use the sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and swimming pool and stay there until it closes a 10pm. They provide you with a towel so no need to take one.

I wasn't sure what dinner would be like, because when I booked on the Doubletree website, there were no details available. I thought it might have only been a main course, but I was wrong. You are given a credit of £19.50 per person which you can use in the Brasserie for the three course menu (£19.50 per head) or anything else off the A la carte menu. We chose the three course menu, and I have to say the food was excellent. It was well presented, tasted fabulous and was of a very high standard. The staff in the Brasserie were excellent too.

The breakfast was also in the brasserie and it was self service. They had lots to choose from, cereals, continental cheeses, ham, bacon, sausage and all the usual extras you get with a full English breakfast. Again it was of a very high standard.

I would recommend staying at this hotel.

2  Thank J-K-N-Wales
Peter H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay. I am pleased that you were able to use our spa facilities and also dine on our Brasserie restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Peter Hendry

Write a ReviewReviews (3,236)

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We had stayed at this hotel many years ago and really enjoyed our visit. Having also read reviews on Trip advisor we had great expectations. Granted we had a late booking but on arrival even though I had advised that I was disabled we were given a room pretty much at the furthest point of the hotel. Ok a warm cookie on arrival -but this does not make up for not being able to eat in either restaurant as they were fully booked. I had been unable to book this as on the website there is no menu and as I have a specialised diet I have to check first to ensure there is something I can tolerate. So we then had to go out to eat and again another problem. The carpark has lots of disabled spaces but at least half of these were being used by cars not displaying blue badges. I assume the hotel does not bother to check this.
Our night's sleep was not the best as the bed had a very uncomfortable undersheet-very rucked and ill ftting.
Breakfast the next morning was a total disaster. I plated a cooked breakfast which I found to be cold. I returned it ,the staff replaced all the food on the buffet so it was warmer. When it was returned to me it was no warmer so I returned it again and asked to speak to the Manager. He told me he had checked the temperature and it was OK-which by then it probably was as it had been replaced. His attitude was dreadful- I was the only one who had a problem so it didnt matter, although he did eventually apologise.
All in all we were very disappointed and fail to see why this hotel has such a good reputation. I did ask to be contacted by a Manager to discuss this but 48hours later I am still waiting.

2  Thank catbelle57

It disapoints me to read your comments from your recent stay. Please feel free to contact me directly on p.hendry@doubletreechester.com, where i will be happy to investigate further your comments,

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed on a sat night in a suite with husband and daughter. Lovely and clean, good size bed which was comfy. Daughter on sofa bed which she said was fine. Asked for extra tea and milk which reception supplied promptly. Only fault not with hotel but with other guests shouting on the way to their rooms at 3am wish hotels would ask guests when they leave the bar to keep the noise down!
Used pool and spa pool free of charge with your room was brilliant got quite busy though but adults only allowed at certain times to allow for a bit of peace!
Had a fab time I'm very fussy but could not fault the hotel breakfast also very good def recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank PassionatelyStroppy

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay. I am pleased to see you managed to use our spa facilities. we look forward to your next visit, and a quieter nights rest.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I can't say enough good things. My partner and I stayed here from 1st to 3rd Jan 2012. The hotel was beautiful, the spa the best we've been to and every member of staff we encountered went out of their way to be helpful. The location is excellent too. Would definitely go back and stay at this hotel. Have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank JechoH

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see our team philisophy reached our guests, and you had a fantastic stay. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Located 5 min taxi drive from Chester centre this hotel is in a great location.
The hotel it's self is modern and stylish, appeals to couples and business people as well as groups of friends.
The spa is the best I have been to that you can use for free with your stay, extremley clean and spacious changing rooms and the spa it's self boasts an outside pool with high walls so it's private and warm yet you can see the sky :)
Has a number of steam/sauna rooms, indoor deck chairs and swimming pool. Perfect. More spa treatments available to purchase. I would recommend the 45min facial!
And they have a fish spa, spray tan room ect ect
The rooms are a nice size, quite small but very large bed (I didn't even feel my partner and we have a king size at home) nice flat screen tv, nice shower and bath with adequate essentials.
I would defiantly stay at this hotel. Look out for offers for over night stays and spa offers (we booked separate room and spa offers on booking.com for one night double room, 1 hour treatment included EACH and fish spa for 20 mins plus lunch the day after and a glass of champers for £160 altogether) well worth it when u use the spa and 1hr treatments are at least £50 and the food was lovely.
Previously been t macro Pierre white Resturant next door which is also nice if you fancy having a meal there.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank IsabellaUk

Thank you for a great review of our spa facilities. I am glad that you wer able to experience all that our club and spa has to offer and note your recommendations on the facial. We run excellent offers through our own web sites, so next time you visit dont forget to check them out first.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed here the first time by chance one night when my ferry back to Ireland had been cancelled due to bad weather. Myself and my partner were very surprised at how beautiful this hotel was so indeed we had to return again and each time as good as the last.

Upon check in we were given two delicious warm cookies which were gobbled up withing seconds of entering the room! The rooms are spacious and clean which modern facilities such as lcd t.v.

The food in the restaurant is very nice and our waiter each time was very friendly and helpful.

The only thing letting this hotel down slightly is its lack of ambiance in the bar - we found ourselves to be the only two people in this area after 10.30-11pm on both nights we stayed

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GinaGt

Thank you for you review form your stay in October. I am glad to see that you returned after a previous visit, and hope that you will frequent the hotel in the future

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We booked this hotel as a last minute break for my boyfriends birthday, so got quite a good rate on the room plus breakfast. We arrived 2 hours early but we were able to check in with no problems, and received a warm cookie each which was a nice touch. The hotel also arranged for a lovely hand-prepared birthday cake to be brought to our room free of charge when I mentioned why we were there!!
Our room was on the first floor, and was very clean and well presented. There was a problem with the paint on one wall, and the maintenance team did call round to check on it, and offered to clean it up, but it didnt affect the overall quality of the room.
We ate breakfast both mornings of our stay, and found all the food to be of a good quality. The service was great from all the staff. We also ate in the Brasserie for lunch, and the steak sandwich was lovely.
Marco Pierre Whites restaurant was exceptional, and had a great offer on food when we went. My only complaint was that the waiter brought bread and water for the table, and charged us for both even though we hadnt specifically asked for them, especially the water. However, we had no complaints over the rest of the food or dining experience.
The spa facilities were lovely, and even though a few people were there we didnt have any issues doing what we wanted to. The fact access is included in the room rate is great.
Overall, this is a perfect hotel for a short break to Chester - it was easy to find, and only a short trip to the city centre, Chester Zoo and Cheshire Oaks.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad you were able to make the most of all of the facilities we have to offer, and note your kind words with reference to our team members. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.