“standard room just like a premier inn, not very clean”

Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
alicante
“standard room just like a premier inn, not very clean”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

First impression was looks nice,
We were a bit tied when we arrived, easy check in.
Got to our room had to go to the loo, sat down without checking to see if it was clean,
Bad mistake! Toilet seat had brown marks on it, I know it was not me!
Call reception they sent someone up to clean with a sponge and a paper towel no cleaning chemicals,
I am sorry but that was not good enough for me, it put a whole dampener on our 2 night break. If we had not already paid for our stay I would not of stayed there,
I would have checked out. 5 star £211.60 Bed & breakfast a lot to pay to find a dirty toilet seat, don’t you think! I feel I need to bleach my Bum, ever now a few days later!
There was also coffee stain all over the skirting boards near the bed, no drawers to put underwear in, i have contacted the hotel no respone from them yet that was 5 days ago.

Room Tip: Find another hotel !
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Peter H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Please accept my apologies for the issues in your guest room.
Please be assured these have been followed up with relevant management team to ensure all our rooms are serviced to our usually high standard.
I hope that should you decide to stay with us again, we are able to exceed your expectations.
Peter Hendry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Lancashire
Reviewed 3 April 2012

On our previous stay at the hotel we spent a night in a standard room and a night in a suite. We vowed on our return we wouldn't stay in a standard again as it was in our opinion just a premier inn standard room if anything we prefer a premier inn room to a standard room here ! The suite on the other hand was amazing 32 inch revolving tv and massive walk in shower with built in speaker.
This time we returned we booked a suite not realising that there are different standards of suite . Some do not have the facilities others do I.e revolving tv and walk in shower. So ensure you state which one you want at time of booking. Eventually we were moved to the suite we wanted and the gentlemen dealt with it very professionally. It states there is a mini bar but all we had were two bottles of water not sure if their was meant to be more ?
Again I would return purely for the amazing spa & it's good location but next time I will specify the type of suite I want to to stay in.

Room Tip: All suites are different. Ensure you get the one you want
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Apologies for any confusion regarding the different room types available, but I am pleased to see this was efficiently rectified for you.
We also feel our rooms are of a high standard, so great you thought so too.
We hope you stay with us again.
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Four couples from our close stayed at this hotel on a golfing weekend. Surprisingly for such a big hotel it was not on my satnav but we found it with very little difficulty.
The hotel is modern and plush with comfortable rooms and an excellent spa which the girls took full advantage of. The weather was brilliant for March and we were glad of the air conditioning.
The one downside, and the reason I did not mark the hotel 'excellent' is the price of drinks in the bar. £5 for a pint of lager is just over the top and caused us to buy our drinks at Tesco and drink them in one of the rooms. Why hotels do this defeats me. If their prices were reasonable we would have happily drank at the hotel bar. Surely this would result in more profit.
Apart from that this is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for recently staying with us at Doubletree.
I take your comment regarding the price of alcohol on board, and hope this does not deter you from joining us in the future.
Despite this, I am very pleased to see you had an enjoyable stay.
Lancashire
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at the Double Tree Chester March 31st 2012 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. From the moment you step through the doors you are treated as a VIP. On Check in we were swiftly serviced and provided with a delicious warm chocolate cookie. We had a leisurely lunch in the restaurant where again, the service was impeccable and the meal was delicious. Staff were attentive but not intrusive checking everything was OK. We were given our room, room 23 and we were astonished to find we had been upgraded to a suite! We were provided with the most amazing room with huge TV, bathrobes, slippers, two bathrooms and a HUGE bed! The decor was lovely with all the mod cons you require. iron and ironing table, the top quality bathroom products and wonderfully comfy bed. We especially liked the We were late surprised with a beautiful hand made cake saying "happy anniversary!" I used the spa and had the best facial I have ever had and a wonderful exfoliation massage followed by a complimentary sorbet (a really nice touch!). The spa facilities are fantastic with numerous therapy rooms and sauna and steam rooms. Breakfast was wonderful again, staff very kind and attentive, and the food was lovely, plenty of choise and the takeaway coffee was a nice surprise. The reception staff are really helpful and really go the extra mile. There was a small miscalculation with my bill which was rectified immediately and the staff members dealt with the situation with real professionalism. Hilton really pulled our all the stops for us to make our stay that extra bit special... We are so pleased we hope to return very soon and would recommend to everyone. We have stayed in many 5 star hotels in the uk and abroad and the service, facilities and quality at double tree chester is amongst the best. I Thank you all at Doubletree!

1 Thank SusuR999
What an outstanding review, we welcome the positive comments you have given us.
Fantastic that the services, facilities and staff throughout the Hotel contributed to your enjoyable stay.
We are delighted to see you enjoyed your special weekend with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great hotel Cookies on arrival!!
Lovely room very nice decor,
we went for a spa weekend we opted for the rasul treatment(Its a mud treatment)
Before you have a glass of sparking wine while waiting. Afterwards you can go in to the relaxation room and chill out. The pool is great you can swim outside in the heated pool and enjoy looking up at the sky while in the hot water.
We also had dinner in the Marco Pierre White restaurant which was very nice and was served by a very attentive waiter.

Overall very good and would recommend.

Room Tip: Make full use of spa!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Great comments regarding the Club and Spa, I am pleased you enjoyed using the facilities.
The Marco Pierre White team will be pleased to see your comments, we hope you decide to dine with us again.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have been staying in Hilton hotels for two decades now, but it is the first time I have stayed at one of the lesser hotels associated with Hilton.

We wanted to visit Chester and I had Hilton points to use but there as there is no Hilton in Chester, it had to be the Double Tree.

I also don’t stay in hotels of the outskirts of a city as I like to be able to walk out of my hotel and into the thick of it.

However, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel entrance and two buses run in an hour and at the time of writing its only £2 one way, so you don’t have to take the car and you can have a drink.

A taxi was only £7.50 from the centre of Chester as the last bus is 23.05.

The hotel itself is lovely and in a lovely setting, great for weddings.

We didn’t find the bar staff that friendly though in the hotel bar, much nicer in the MPW bar.

Sadly if you want a good night’s sleep take sleeping pills or ear plugs.

As with modern hotels the walls are thin and other guests disturb you in their rooms, I think the people in the room next to us were moving the furniture around.

There was also a fan or something similar in the ceiling in the room which ran all the time, not a problem until you wanted to get to sleep, as once the TV was off the fan was loud and at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am, 4 am etc I was still awake with the fan driving me mad.

So two nights of little sleep, so not a relaxing stay, which was supposed to be the plan.

There are the normal guests you get in hotels who think they are the only ones staying, banging room doors late on a night or early in the morning and the ones that stop and chat in the hallways loudly when you are trying to sleep, go and chat in your rooms.

Would I stay again, sadly no not my cup of tea.

Marco Pierre White restaurant, I have reviewed this under its own listing, but want to make the following comment.

Now I am unsure as to who sets the offers, the hotel or the restaurant.

If you stay in the hotel there are offers for this restaurant, however if you stay Friday, Saturday or Sunday forget it, it seems that you are discriminated against, I understand offers mid week in city centres to get people into restaurants etc.

However if you are staying in the hotel, then why are you not offered the same thing all week which would be nice, it’s as though people that stay on those nights are second class

At the end of the day there are other places to eat and the hotel should encourage you to stay.

Room Tip: Try and find a room without the fan in the ceiling it gets louder at night. Also please respect o...
1 Thank Mitch2nd
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay.
The comments regarding the level of noise is disappointing as this is something the Hotel monitors well. Had we have been given the opportunity to rectify the noise in your room, we would of happily assisted you.
Naturally, the peak times for dining in our restaurants increase over the weekend, so this may explain why some particular offers are unavailable.
It is also upsetting to see you felt discriminated against, as I can strongly assure you this is not the case.
Should you decide to visit us again in the future, we will do our upmost to ensure you enjoy your stay.
Leicestershire
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I have stayed at this venue several times and have seen it transformed into a top luxury hotel. Whether you need it for conferencing, dining, enjoying the gym or for a really good night's sleep, this place is hard to beat.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
We could not ask for better feedback, thank you.
We pride ourselves on the services and facilities we offer, so we hope you return and make use of these again.
King regards,