Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Hotels.com
US$94
PremierInn.com
3,347 results
All reviewsthe marco pierre white restaurantmpw restaurantdouble treewarm cookieshoole halloutdoor jacuzzion arrivalspa facilitiespresidential suitelovely hotelgarden roomgreat spamy partnerbuilding worksteam roomrelaxation roomspa break
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I booked two suites and a double room at the hotel for my friend's hen do and I did this though the American call centre. I cannot fault them they were amazing. So helpful in getting us a great rate and in answering all my questions.
However it is a different story if you call the hotel as they do not answer the telephone. I rang the spa 5 times and never got an answer. I emailed them via their form no answer. I called reception on several occasions to no avail. Having worked in a hotel I decided to call the sales office - knowing this is usually staffed. Got through and put through to the spa, 15 minutes later no answer and no bounce back to the sales office or reception. I called them back at 5 to 5 and they had obviously bolted out of the door as there was no answer again. I ended up calling the central number and logging a complaint with the Hilton Customer Relations team - it worked as I got an email the next day. All in all it took over 1 week to get a response to an email about block booking treatments!

I arrived late at the hotel and was checked in quickly and given a key. However they didn't give me the paper slip so the next day when I went to the gym the woman was very rude and unfriendly and said I needed the slip so I had to go back to reception and sort that out. There was one lovely receptionist on the Spa counter and one horrendous one. Never smiled, rude and abrupt. The gym is mainly cardio machines and is not staffed. They have technogym machines but if you don't know how to use them there is no one around to help you. I was in there from 8am - 9pm and never saw a single member of staff.

The spa is lovely with the outdoor hot tub bit and the staff inside the spa and the little terrace cafe were really helpful and friendly.

Breakfast was good with a good selection and again the staff were all lovely.

Check out on Sunday morning was a sham. I am glad I got up early and sorted everything out before 9am because when i left at 11am the queue was snaking round reception with only one girl doing the check out! Which is astounding as it was valentine's weekend and they were very busy.
Clean hotel with the majority of the staff being helpful. Shame that the key ones let them down, they also need to answer the telephone!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelboo22
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This was the first time I have purchased a Groupon voucher and the first time I have been to this spa. That said the Groupon was a good value for money offer. What wasn't so good,however, was my first encounter with the spa reception. On arrival we were treated very rudely by the receptionist 'Mags' who ignored us, spoke over us and treated us like 2nd class citizens. Insisting on a credit card swipe for a locker padlock which I did however she would not give us a locker each, and when I asked if I could book for extra treatment she was very rude. She needs some skills in customer care, The spa itself was nice but too busy which spoilt it I thought.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mrblobbyNorthWest
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We spent one night at this hotel in February 2013 after travelling up for a trip to the zoo. It's perfectly located close to the road network and only about five minutes from the zoo.

The room was spacious and clean, there was a good, powerful shower and the bed was very comfortable. My only complaint was that the wifi was very slow and the network cable didn't work, but it wasn't a big issue. We ate at the brasserie, where the food was good, if expensive. Breakfast was also good, with plenty of choice. The warm cookies on arrival were incredibly gooey and chocolatey!

We had booked in advance, paying for bed, breakfast and evening meal. I'd probably just pay for bed and breakfast in future, as it probably cost us more paying in advance as we didn't want a three course meal.

We didn't make use of the spa facilities, but if we visit again, I'll certainly give them a go.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blondie247772
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Firstly the lady on reception seemed to rush us through checking in, making it seem like she had better things to do with her time. Another woman answered the phone next to her meanwhile, it was about the groupon offer, she sarcastically remarked back "oh the groupon offer". Which I wasn't to impressed with. We were given our room number, which seemed to be right at the end of the corridor, almost like we were trying to be hidden. Staff in the spa again seemed rushed, and had little time to explain things properly. We didn't know for instance there were no drinks in the pool area, i had to walk out again to find this out which was kind of embarrassing. Again on check out it was rushed and felt like they were just happy to see us go.

All in all I felt like we didn't get the service we deserved, and I believe it was because we didn't pay full price for the stay, if we had of I would only assume we would have been treated differently. It's not that we couldn't afford to book everything separately, just that you couldn't turn down such an offer. My girl friend had booked this as a pre birthday treat for myself. We both have manic careers and sadly the whole experience was ruined. My girlfriend and I had had our first date at marcos and it has always been a special place for us, but now sadly I feel this experience has ruined that memory.

My girlfriend was sent the customer satisfaction survey shortly after our stay and are still waiting for a response, around 3 weeks later have still had no reply, it seems that they don't actually care about customer feed back and maintaining company standards, why ask for our opinion and then ignore it? Maybe they rely on corporate business for their income, or maybe being part of a chain like Hilton that keeps guests coming back, but sadly I'm shocked at their lack of interest in customer satisfaction, and their lack of staffing standards. This Hilton lets the brand down and certainly doesn't adhere to the luxury and relaxation I have come to associate with this particular brand.

Ben

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ben W
Reviewed 16 February 2013

What a pleasant surprise to be given a warm cookie at check in - never experienced that before. My son had treated me to a night at this hotel for my birthday, second pleasant surprise was a birthday cake in the room - very thoughtful. We loved the spa and spent a good couple of hours there.

Rooms had everything you needed and the beds/pillows were so comfortable.

The MPW restaurant was booked the night we were there but we had a very pleasant meal in the brasserie and must compliment the staff who were very attentive.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family