“Disappointing”

Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I firstly e-mailed and rang the spa leaving a voice message and there was no response. I rang the hotel and got through to someone called Allie who was helpful, efficient and booked in the treatments and tried to organise an early check in then rang to say this was no problem otherwise my daughter and her friend would be sat for 2 and a half hours doing nothing.

Arriving at the hotel on daughters birthday we are told they cannot accommodate early check in so I ask that if they could try and honour the early check in and guests leave at 12, 1pm should be fine.

Massage which was meant to be the hour long Elemis massage, but is finished at 12.45 taken for manicure which again fell about 15 minutes short of the half hour in a cold room. By this time it's 1.15 and I wait with my daughter for her manicure, same cold room although they do spend the right amount of time.

Told to sit in the dream waves room but it was full of dirty glasses and cups, and frankly absolutely filthy. The robes were threadbare and it was all a bit grimy.

I then at about 2pm go back to reception and ask if the rooms are ready, still no, girls are sitting on the dirty reception sofa and I think no, not doing that for an hour so she then finds two clean rooms that are meant to be together, bearing in mind this request was sent over a month ago and even if you take into account a guest staying till 12, two hours later still not ready?

Finally get into rooms at 2.30pm and wait for girls to be able to go swimming, go down girl at reception is on the phone and makes no acknowledgement of our presence..for a good 5-10 minutes, then asked for the 'paper bit that goes with your room key, you could have just walked in off the street having kept the key from last time' firstly, if I was going to have a little flirt with danger, gaining fraudulent entry to the Double tree spa is not on my list plus the sign saying this was on the front of the open sign on book, which faces the counter, why you imagine people can't keep the piece of paper from 'last time' is beyond me, also the same girl saw us in the morning while paying for treatments. I did tell her how let down I was by the entire experience, check in, spa, treatments and the pool had thumping dance music and was again just the wrong side of clean.

I didn't particularly want a 'discussion' regarding this all at the time as it would have not been nice for my daughter.

This is the e-mail sent to the hotel over a fortnight ago and the response was we will look into it. That's it. I didn't post this review until now as I didn't want a reply stating I had not given them an opportunity to apologise. We paid nearly £400 for this 'experience' not including breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in relation to your recent stay.

It disappoiints me to read that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied. I do believe that our spa manager has contacted you directly to discuss your comments further.

We hope that despite any shortfall in servcie here, you will consider staying with us again, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Kirsty Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My sister booked a spa day to celebrate her daughter's 21st, after us enjoying a New Year's Eve stay at the hotel and spa. It was a lovely day with facials and lunch included. We were met with a glass of bubbly and the treatments were fantastic. I had been to a different spa the week before and this treatment blew the other out of the water. Lunch was a relaxed affair enhanced by the attention of Tiffany, making it a lovely enjoyable experience and as much part of our day as the treatments. The 'spa journey' makes this spa a bit more special than the average and the only disappointment was that the Watsu hydrotherapy pool was closed, as this is part of the big attraction of this Hilton spa. As the main pool was in use for water aerobics we had to wait for peace and quiet and a swim.Afte, we returned to the relaxation room with bean bags and the sounds of whales or dolphins. We had to drag ourselves back home at the end of the day, almost too relaxed to drive. A special day we will remember. Kindly, after the disappointment of the Watsu pool being closed we were given a voucher for free use of the facilities when it is open again. You can't say fairer than that and we look forward to it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments about your recent spa day with us.

It is fantastic to read that you all has such a lovely day with us celebrating your niece's 21st birthday!

I am pleased that you enjoyed your treatments, and that despite the watsu area being closed, you all still managed to relax and have now got the opportunity to come back to us again.

We all look forward to seeing you again.

cheshire
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We arrived to a warm welcome at the reception and they remembered my partners birthday which was nice. when we got to our room we discovered our 'king size bed' was actually two singles pushed together and dressing in king size bedding - not so comfy when lying in the middle of the bed! we then went to the hotels own restaurant and got told the next table was an hours wait - when we went back we were seated and ordered - i ordered breaded chicken with home made linguine with a parmesan sauce and asparagus - when it came 5 minutes after ordering (obviously pre cooked! ) it was horrible! there was a brown sauce all over the food which tasted like fish which i dislike. My partner had steak which was served with onion rings - when asked to exchange these with chips he was told they couldn't do it despite them being the same price! we had to order them separate. The bill for this at the end was £50! I reluctantly gave it to them despite it being disgusting as i knew they wouldn't do anything to help. I felt as though we had been discriminated because of our ages (17 and 19). I most definitely wouldnt stay here again. the shower head was gross and the standards weren't as good as they deemed it to be. awful stay - never again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share a review in relation to your stay.

I am disappointed to read that you left the hotel feeling less than satsfied with the experience, in particular the meal you had in our hotel Brasserie, please accept my sincerest apologies if the meal was not up to our usual standard, I will pass your comments back to the restaurant manager.

We hope that depsite the shortfall in service, you would give us the opportunity of proving that we can provide a relaxing stay by returning to us again in the future, and we would all look forward to welcoming you back.

Burnley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

stayed for 1 night surprise for my wife room clean with large bed visited gym steam and sauna rooms and pools fab booked in resturant good service fab food breakfastyummie all you needed and allthe staff friendly and helpful great

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay.

It pleases me to read that you had a fabulous time with us, and found all staff to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay, I will be certain to pass your thanks on to the team here at the DoubleTree.

We all hope you can come back and stay with us again soon, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kent
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Lovely hotel in beautiful grounds. Good location as easy to visit other areas as close to main motorways. Swimming pool was nice although you have to use a lift from the changing rooms which is a bit chilly when back to the changing rooms when wet!
I would certainly go back

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments in relation to your stay here at the DoubleTree.

It is great to read that you had a good stay with us and liked the pool area.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sheffield
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights here on a halfboard basis. We also used the spa and gym on two occasions. Unfortunately, the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse restaurant was closed at the time otherwise we would have liked to try this also. The room was spacious and clean. Only pet hate was the the milk was not fresh. Reception too a while to answer the phone on a couple of occasions but the service was good when they answered. The breakfast was adequate although this could do with a slightly more personal service. Tea & coffee could be served to the table. Same goes for the dinner where we found the waitress who served us not totally providing a prompt service but she was polite. The menu wasn't terribly extensive but was adequate. The spa, on the other hand was lovely and very relaxing. The gym was well equipped but rather busy at peak times.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank LouFS
Dear Guest

Thnak you for taking the time to share a review with us on your recent stay.

It is lovely to read that you had an enjoyable time with us, and especially liked the use of the facilities through in our Club and Spa area.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and your comments in relation to service will be relayed to the relevant departments for development.

We hope that you are able to come back and stay with us again in the near future, and very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Room very clean, comfortable. Very nice looking hotel although corridors are very long. Food in the lounge was good. Breakfast was great. Verry good service. Guys on the bar were very helpfull. Location is not great. On a motorway really so to get to town You need a taxi.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jarorado
Kirsty M, Reception at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing a review with us in relation to your recent stay.

I am pleased that you found the service at the bar along with food in the lounge area to be of a high standard and your room was comfortable and very clean.

We hope that you are able to come and stay at the hotel again soon, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.