“A good place to stay.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“A good place to stay.”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed over a weekend and combined a Christmas function at the hotel with a shopping trip. All round we had a good weekend. Rooms were a good size, clean and had all the expected amenities, plus free WI-FI. Food at both the function and breakfast was very good, and a higher standard then we expected.

Even though it was party season it didn't feel too busy or noisy, and we didn't have to queue for breadkfast.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful.

If you don't want to drive into the city it is a 20-25 minute walk away. We would stay there again if we were going to Chester,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the DoubleTree on your recent visit to Chester.

I am pleased to read that you had a great stay with us, and enjoyed your Christmas function too.

We hope that you can come back and stay with us again in the near future and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kirsty Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Denmark
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This Hilton in Chester is way below Hilton standards, nd leave me with a sorry experience, I have to call reception on 2 occasions to have them to come and clean the room. The pool area and spa like, Hammam, steambath, aroma steam, sauna, outdoor pool with jacuzzi and other jacuzzis was absolutely awesome, there was a large training studion gym, but the spa and gym was open to general public, membership, but it was not a problem. The rooms are very small, and the bathroom is the old type with showering in a bathtub, this type of bathing is extremely dangerous, the new way to be eco friendly is with a standing shower area, that saves water. the owels are way to large

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us in relation to your recent stay here at the DoubleTree Chester.

I am delighted to read that you were impressed by our spa facilities especially the Hamman and outdoor area.

I am sorry that you felt our rooms were on the small side and had to contact reception on numeorus occassions in repsect of housekeeping issues. We pride ourselves on the service we provide to all guests and I am disappointed to read of the shortfall here. I have passed your comments over to the Housekeeping team.

We hope that given the opportunity you will return to stay with us again in the near future and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

nottingham
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stopped at the Doubetrees on 1st December 2013. This is the third time I have stopped at the hotel and yet again, it was brilliant! Checkin was easy as usual and got the lovely warm cookie! The reception is very helpful. We arranged for a paper in the morning which was really nice.

We were on the first floor and the room was modern, clean and tidy. The bed is massive and really comfortable! There is a nice flat screen TV mounted on the wall. There is a double wardrobe with a set of draws. There was also a desk and comfortable reclining leather seat. There is a hair dryer, hot drink facilities and a fridge.

The bathroom was spacious with a lovely shower. No bath on this occasion but, not an issue for me. The bathroom was modern and clean.

There was something I didn't like in the room and this was a window at head height which allowed you to look from the bedroom to the bathroom. I can't see what benefit this is and actually found it quite intrusive. I think this needs addressing by the hotel as I don't feel this is necessary.

The bar on site is lovely and relaxing. Lots of choice of drinks and great cocktails. Little pricey but, what do you expect. Can't complain.

As we stopped for bed and breakfast, we had a lovely breakfast in the morning. There is lots of choice for both full English breakfast and continental. There is lots of choice of fruit, yogurt, juice and hot drinks. There is also pastries and cereal. All is of a very good quality and highly recommended.

We used the Spa on site and is currently under maintenance however; this had no impact on  the wonderful experience. You collect your towels at the Spa desk and go through to the changing rooms. The changing rooms are massive and clean with large lockers. The Spa area is clean and very modern. The outdoor pool was really warm and a lovely place to relax. There are a few different types of steam rooms and a sauna. These rooms are really nice.

We always enjoy our trip to the hotel and Chester and this was no different. I would recommend this hotel and I will be visiting again.

Room Tip: Ask for a bath if you want one.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments in relation to your stay.

It is lovely to read that you had another enjoyable stay with us and once again liked your warm Cookies.

We hope you can come and stay with us again soon, and very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed overnight after a Christmas shopping trip. Check in was fine and very quick. Room was clean and bathroom fine. One concern was torn linen on one pillow. Wardrobe nice big with tea, kettle and coffee etc. iron and hair dryer also in room and fridge. Pop up bank of plugs nice touch.
Plenty of hot water and lovely towels.
I agree with last report over Groupon deals and the spa, it was very busy and people mulling around. Having been to a number of spa hotels in the region this would not be one I would choose.

We booked a table in the Brasserie and the staff were lovely. I feel that the food was overpriced and poor value. I had a steak well done and even for me it was over cooked.
breakfast was plentiful but fried eggs were something else.

I have no issues with the staff as they were lovely and the room was fine and quiet. My issue is that this is a 4* hotel in the UK. I have stayed in many in Europe and always expect better here I reserve judgement.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree on your recent shopping trip to Chester.

It is lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found check-in to be quick and hassle free and your room was clean and comfortable.

Please accpet my apologies that you experienced some issues over dinner, I will pass your comments on to the Chef to relay to his team.

We hope that you are able to come and stay with us again soon, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Visited the hotel three years ago when it looked as though it had been newly refurbished. The spa was a new addition this time around. Went for my birthday with my husband and a couple of friends on a great deal booked through the Hilton website a couple of months before. Check in was ok, although at other hotels it's nice when they ask if you are celebrating anything special and they don't do it here. Rooms are starting to look a bit dated. Lots of mould on paintwork around window and scruffy scuff marks on walls in rooms. Housekeeping was a bit poor. One morning we ran out of tissues and were left with a couple of sheets of toilet paper and hardly any shampoo. Only took a phone call to the care line to rectify this but still should not have happened. Booked the dine and stay package for Sunday night and the food was good. Great selection on the menu.
Breakfast next morning was ok. Total self service including tea and coffee from machines. My friend was served two stone cold poached eggs which had to be re-ordered. Last time we came the dining room was much much nicer than it is now. That dining area has been taken over by the Marco Pierre White restaurant which we didn't have the time to try out on this occasion.
Used the Spa and treated myself to a hot stones massage at £60. This was good and I felt relaxed afterwards and was given a lovely lemongrass sorbet.
Location of hotel is very good and all things considered I would book again but only if I got a cheap rate as I don't think it's worth paying the full price. They need to pull their socks up with some of their service and attention to detail as there is a lot of competition out there.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments in relation to your stay.

It saddens me to hear that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied. Please accept my apologies that housekeeping did not leave sufficient toiletries when servicing your room, this is not our normal standard of service and your feedback will be passed to our Head HouseKeeper. I am pleased that a simple call through to our CarelIne meant the recepiton team were able to assist in getting the missing items replenished straight away for you.

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to have a spa treatment with us and that you thoroughly enjoyed this.

It is great to read that you also took advantage of our fantastic 'stay and dine' deal currently running, and had a lovely meal in the hotel Brasserie as part of this.

We hope that you are able to come back and stay with us again soon, and the team look forward to welcoming you back.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

To make this easy, I have pasted in a copy of the email sent to the Hilton Customer Services team......

Hilton,

please note that last week immediately after checking out of the above hotel I phoned the Hilton customer services line to report my complete dissatisfaction with my recent stay. I fully explained my reasoning and have registered a complaint with you for which I have requested a full refund of my Hilton honors points. As it was pointed out I must put this in writing to you therefore please see my summary of concerns below. Additionally, I must add that I am a loyal Gold member with Hilton and given the standards of excellent service I am used to, Hilton is always the first choice for me for both Business and Pleasure.

Firstly, myself and my partner were recently married and on our return from our honeymoon I had arranged a surprise 3-night stay at the above hotel before returning back to work. As I used my points for this complete stay, I booked well in advance.

Check-in was a dreadful atmosphere, 6 people behind the reception, of which 3 were reception staff. One person being served and we had to wait. Nobody supporting the Honors counter. Immediately, a clear feeling of not being Hilton standard, based on my experience. Luckily, on most of my stays I am always upgraded when I arrive at a Hilton however I completely respect the fact that this should not be expected. However, upon being called at reception, the receptionist gave me a blank look and remarked "did you book this late?" to which I remarked "no." Immediately I knew there would be no chance of upgrade and I got the distinct impression that my loyalty to Hilton was never considered. The worst part was probably the scrappy sheet given to us by the receptionist of hotel/eating/spa times who remarked "here are the hotel, spa, and restaurant timings....so you dont have to come back and ask us." Is this hotel even on the Hilton map? Who runs this place?

No form of welcome or hotel tour/explanation of amenities.

As an Honors memeber, I opted for the free breakfast which I must add was delicious. However, each morning when we attended for breakfast, I had to explain myself as to why I was entitled to a complimentary breakfast as I did not appear on any paperwork which the attendant had. Tiring.

The spa was excellent, I have never seen so many facilities in one area which we thoroughly enjoyed. However, this is not a relaxing hotel. I was quite disappointed to realise that the spa was clearly a local retreat for the greater population of Chester. To my surprise, a conversation with a Spa Member in the sauna revealed that a recent Groupon deal had spiralled out of control where people were able to purchase an unlimited number of passes with no expiry date, hence the spa feeling like a marketplace on a Sunday. A minor issue, as we were not paying for a spa package, we were not entitled to any flip/flops or slippers (which seem to be complimentary at any other Hilton I stay at), therefore myself and partner had to walk bearfoot downstairs and along the passageway to get to the facilities, with gym equipment and workmen along the way. What is going on here?

Given that I was so disappointed with the hotel and had just come back from our honeymoon, I contemplated checking out one night early to go home. However after some discussion with my partner we decided to stay. Given my frustration, I gave the hotel the benefit of the doubt and felt that a lot of my concerns were over exaggerated after such a wonderful honeymoon........until we checked the reviews on trip advisor....horrendous. Every concern I had was posted, with the addition of even more disgraceful reviews.

I apologise for my frustration, however I hope you will recognise that I choose to use Hilton almost every time I travel and have NEVER had any issues with the hotel/service. As I checked out, I reflected that over the previous 3 weeks, I had stayed at 7 hotels, 4 of which were Hilton! The Chester Doubletree did not make me feel like a Gold level member or even make me feel like they were grateful of my service.

I had to ask for a Hotel Survey upon leaving, which is strange as they are normally freely available. Even more strange was the fact that the girl on reception freely handed it to me and did not seem to have the instinct to ask "how was your stay?".

Please note that I am keen to place the point that not only will I never stay at this hotel again, I am beginning to wonder if the Hilton brand has run its course with me. This stay truly affected my impression of Hilton and I think it is a complete disgrace that it has the ability to hold the Hilton signage.

Again, I am more than happy to discuss this in person without any tense atmosphere, as I am extremely keen to have my points refunded as explained.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Camilla_Stewart
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay.

We are disappointed to read that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied, and would ask you to contact us directly to discuss your concerns further.

You can contact myself directly by emailing kirsty.martin@doubletreechester.com and I will ensure that your comments are addressed by the relevant department.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was my 4th time at double tree, previously known as the more exclusive Hoole hall. My first time there was in 2008 in the presidential suite for 2 nights and it was the most gorgeous and unforgettable experience. Me and my ex partner were treat like royalty.

We were to return the following year and checked out the new health suite to which yet again it was secluded and you were made to feel special, like the hard earned money you pay was worth every penny as it was a exclusive and modern hotel.

Since being taken over by the hilton group the prices were dropped which isn't a bad thing but this obviously means every tom dick and Harry could afford it. This time I was only able to get a twin room as all others were booked. We queued to check in and out. We went to our room to find brown stains over the nets and curtains. My one night of the year were I was sure I would get to relax and use the quiet health suite and take advantage of the great in room food menu turned out disappointing. The health suite was very over crowded, children jumping in the pool,maintenance work going on and looking a little tired decor wise, the food was very nice but somewhat over priced and the noise in the early hours of the morning was the contributing factor to why sadly I won't be visiting this hotel again.
I deeply regret this as I have spent years recommending it and telling everyone I know,how much of a special place it is now I feel very let down and saddened how the beautiful place has deteriorated.

Overall still a lovely setting and great food but over crowded and a little run down with no more of the exclusive feel more just like your average busy hilton hotel. Shame.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review in relation to your recent stay.

It disappoints me to read that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied on this occassion.

We do reccommend booking early if you are wanting to secure our presidential suite for the night, we only have one of these and as you can imagine from experiencing it on a previous stay, it is extremely popular, along with other our junior suites.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfall in service in relation to the marks on the net curtain, this is not our normal standard and your feedback will be relayed to our head HouseKeeper.

I am sorry that you experienced some noise disruption throughout the early hours, we would always encourage guests to contact our night team if they are disturbed so that they can kindly ask anyone causing any disturbance to quieten down.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and we endeavour to act upon it where possible to improve the service we provide, so we thank you for your comments.

We hope that you will consider staying at the hotel in the near future, we would be grateful of the opportunity to make ammends and prove we are capable of providing a relaxing and comfortable stay.