Our visit was a birthday treat and we arrived at the hotel very early just to drop the car and visit Chester. We had intended to catch the bus into town but chose to walk instead (25 mins flat walk). The return to the hotel by a cab was £7.
The hotel is in a nice setting and the grounds must look good in the better weather. The twin room was on the ground floor not far from reception. A small complimentary birthday cake was awaiting - a nice touch. Room was quite small but had all the basics required (fridge to store your own drinks). A well appointed bathroom with a powerful shower.
The main purpose of our visit was to dine in the MPW restaurant and it did not disappoint. Fine food, drinks and very attentive waiters made this an occasion to enjoy. (When ordering side dishes to accompany your meal, you will only need one between two) We retired to the hotel bar for cocktails but unfortunately they were very disappointing. So poor that we took them to reception who directed us to the MPW bar for fresh cocktails to make amends (again a nice touch - perhaps we should have relaxed here after the meal).
Breakfast the following morning was a poor disorganised affair. There was plenty of choice on offer but the staff were clearly overworked and it took time to replenish the cooked items on display. The toasters were very slow and one didn't work at all. Whilst replenishing our drinks from the machines a waitress cleared the table before we returned.
Overall the MPW restaurant was excellent, however poor service in the hotel bar and again at breakfast let this hotel down. It has the potential to be very good if the staffing/service issues in the aforementioned areas were sorted out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the outskirts of historic Chester surrounded by twelve acres of landscaped gardens, this elegant hotel provides luxurious accommodation only a few minutes from the city centre. This carefully restored 18th-century manor house beautifully combines the past and the present, offering modern comforts and conveniences with traditional styling and decor. The hotel's outstanding facilities include, Grade II listed conservatory, a stunning Club and Spa and a Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Odigeo, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Doubletree by Hilton Chester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Chester Hotel Chester
- Hilton International Chester
- Chester Hilton International
- Doubletree By Hilton Chester Cheshire