“Hotel really good! However MPW restaurant not”

Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Hotel really good! However MPW restaurant not”
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stopped here for my husbands birthday on 11/02/14. Greeting on reception was lovely and the warm Cooke was a lovely touch.

Our room was a junior suite which was gorgeous! We even had a happy birthday cake waiting in the room which was a lovely touch!

We visited the spa for the afternoon which was purely amazing! Everything from the spa pools to the sauna was exceptional.

We had a meal in Marco Pierre Restaurant. We should of received a complimentary glass of bubbly on arrival and didn't so we had to ask for this. My husbands food was fine however I had the chicken and found that it was still raw and pink in places. I would never eat chicken that is still pink! When asked if I enjoyed my meal I explained no as the chicken was still raw! The manager came back and advised that chef had looked at it and it was supposed to be pink! I felt embarrassed as all the restaurant could hear and felt like I was in the wrong but who am I to question the chef but I certainly would not eat pink chicken. I was offered more food but my husband had finished and didn't see the point eating on my own. When paying the bill we had our drinks bill wavered by the manager. I was so disappointed has this was a birthday treat and felt it was ruined. To make matters worst I was awake all night with a bad tummy.

Overall loved the hotel but would not dine in MPW again.

1 Thank Kellyphoebe
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking out the time to write a review on your stay with us.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our junior suites and liked the touch of the complimentary birthday cake for your husbands birthday.

It disappoints me to read that your experience in our Marco Pierre White Steakhouse was not up to our normal high standard, please accept our sincere apologies here. I am pleased that the manager was able to offer some compensation in removing items from your bill.

All the team at the DoubleTree hope that you do get the chance of returning to us, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Kirsty Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Manchester
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I arrived on Friday 7 February and check in was effortless. The warm cookies were a lovely treat.

I was in a king size room which I couldn't fault. One minor gripe was that the pillows were too thin for me and I ended up putting all 4 together.

I used the spa and pool which were lovely, well maintained and clean.

Breakfast was self service and I think if you get there early as I did everything is fresh and hot and there is no waiting. No complaints on the food at all.

I dined in the MPW restaurant on Saturday night and while quite dear, was a lovely meal.

One point I need to make is perhaps a few more plug sockets need to be dotted about as there was only one on the side of the wardrobe as it's location meant it was hard to plug into. Another maybe on the side where the phone was would be very useful. Also a few more signs showing where the lifts are would be helpful too.

All in all a very relaxing break.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank HoneyBomb
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing a review with us in relation to your stay here at the DoubleTree Chester.

It is great to hear that you had a lovely stay with us and found check-in smooth and liked the DoubleTree Cookies.

I am pleased that breakfast was enjoyable and relaxing for you.

We hope that you get the chance to return to stay with us again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our short stay and it was wonderful! The hotel offered excellent value for money - it's location was great for the park and ride service to Chester, had a wonderful spa and a Marco Pierre White restaurant on site. In addition the staff went the extra mile for my birthday - my husband had previously emailed the hotel to confirm the restaurant would be open to celebrate my birthday, as it looked like it would have been shut during our visit. The hotel took note that this visit was for an occasion and sent a birthday cake to our room free of charge. After a lovely quite nights sleep and filling breakfast we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chester!

1 Thank 697MrsC
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us relating to your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased that you had a nice stay with us to celebrate your birthday, and that we were able to accommodate with a complimentary birthday cake.

We all hope you get the chance to come back and stay again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Attended for a charity ball. Paid £145 for a king size room. Reception staff were great, helpful and friendly. Warm cookies were a lovely touch.

Room itself wasn't too bad. It was clean but the tiling in the bathroom was very shoddy. Bed was comfy and clean. We went for breakfast in the morning. OMG It was like walking into a different hotel. We had to queue for a table. Then we had to queue for a coffee (only one machine was working) the queue went straight through the dining room and in between tables where people were eating. The once you had your coffee you had to go and queue for the food. The layout was very badly organised. It would have been much better to have a separate area where the food was being served. Waiters were trying to get to the kitchen and having to ask people to move. So we were basically pushed up the wall queuing in what was a very inconvenient place for everyone. Couldn't wait to get out. On hindsight I wouldn't have given breakfast a miss and opted to visit the spa and pool instead.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us for the charity ball and found our reception team to be friendly and helpful.

I am disappointed to read that you felt let down with the service at breakfast. Your Feedback is extremely important to us in order to improve the service we deliver and I will make sure to feed your comments back to the restaurant manager to investigate.

We hope that you will consider coming back to stay with us again in the near future and we would very much like to be given the opportunity to welcome you back.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Very clean hotel with an excellent gym next door. Hotel was clearly well managed with excellent staff. Breakfast was very good with a good range of food and the opportunity to order specific courses off a menu.
Free parking and easy to access the hotel.
Very quiet rooms.
Mobile phone reception was a bit poor in some areas of the hotel, but ggod wi-fi.
Would stay here again.
It's on the limits of Chester, so you would have to drive into town.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for posting a review regarding your stay.

I am really pleased to read that you had a relaxing and comfortable stay with us, and liked the fact that we offer complimentary car parking.

All the team hope that you are able to come back and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the doubletreee for a spa weekend with my partner. Everything was fantastic! Rooms, spa, service and food were all spot on. Staff couldn't do enough for you, the spa was extremely clean and well looked after. Very relaxing. Food was beautiful. The only thing that we had a problem with was the shower, very tempremental. It was either scolding hot or freezing cold. But this said, we had an excellent weekend at a beautiful hotel and spa. Would definitely recommend!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing a review with us in relation to your recent stay.

It is great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and in particular liked the time spent in our Club and Spa.

Please accept my apologies in regards to the shower, we would always encourage you to contact us during your stay so that we are able to rectify this at the time for you.

We hope that you get the chance to come back and stay with us again soon, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Ellesmere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked an overnight stay at the Double Tree by Hilton, Chester as a surprise for my birthday. The whole stay was a delight from start to finish and I couldn't recommend this hotel enough!

We were on a package deal which included an overnight stay, use of spa facilities, 3 course meal in brasserie restaurant and breakfast the following morning- all for a very very reasonable price!

We stayed in a standard double room which was stylish, comfortable and spacious and had the biggest king size bed I have ever seen in a hotel! Bathroom was lovely, very modern and very good shower. We had a nice surprise from the restaurant staff - a birthday cake was delivered free of charge and left in the room upon our arrival which was very thoughtful and absolutely delicious!

The spa area is excellent. The hot tub/pool/jacuzzi is to die for and was perfect for a relaxing break! There is also a seating area to relax, steam room, sauna, swimming pool and gym- although we stayed in the jacuzzi!

Our three course meal in the evening was delicious, which was complemented by exceptional service from all of the restaurant staff. Special mention to Laura and Emma our waitresses who were friendly, genuine and put candles in a mini cheesecake just for me! I would recommend the gammon with crushed new potatoes for main- absolutely gorgeous!

We had a peaceful and comfortable nights sleep and went down to have our breakfast the following day. We did have to wait around 5-10 minutes to be seated for our breakfast, it was very busy and the staff apologised and seated us as quickly as possible. The buffet breakfast was lovely, a good variety and very tasty.

One tiny complaint is that we struggled to get parked in the car park. For the amount of guests I think the car park could definitely do with an expansion!

All in all our stay at the hilton was wonderful! I can't wait to stay again in the future ! Thank you to all the lovely staff at the hilton for making our stay so lovely.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for coming to stay with us at the DoubleTree Chester.

It is lovely to read that you boyfriend booked your stay as treat for your birthday - and it didn't disappoint.

I will pass on your thanks to all the staff, especially Laura and Emma in the restaurant.

We hope you do get to come back again soon, we all look forward to seeing you again.