“would not recommend this hotel”

Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 February 2014

On arrival I was asked to register a card to bill anything to the room. As I do not have or need a credit card I handed over my debit card which apparently cannot be used for this service. I was also told at check-in that breakfast was included. The following morning I learned that breakfast was not included and I had to pay separately (and could not bill it to my room!). I spoke with reception again and my debit card was quickly and easily accepted for future purchase - the unpleasant conversation at breakfast could have been avoided! This was not the only awkward moment caused by the inept staff (although Holly on reception sorted the problem promptly).

When I first entered my room I noticed a breakfast menu neatly displayed on my pillow and a suitable order form if room service was required. Unfortunately this had already been completed by the previous occupant of the room.

The enamel in the bath tub was also chipped and cracked. Not very comfortable to stand on when taking a shower!

I booked this room for 2 nights through a booking website for £230. I would have been better off in a budget hotel.

On a positive note, the Marco Pierre White restaurant attached to the hotel is excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Kirsty M, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments.

It is disappointing to read that yoiu experienced some issues during your stay.

At the hotel we would ask for a credit card to open an account against the room, allowing you to charge any items back during your stay. We choose not to offer this service using a debit card, as we take a pre authorisation on your card and with a debit card this will remove the funds from your bank and can take a significant number of days to be returned. A credit card does not remove the funds it just freezes them. All guests are given the option is they wish to do this or not. If you prefer not to, then you are able to pay as you go along throughout the hotel with either a debit card, credit card or cash. Please accept my sincere apologies if this was not explained clearly to you on arrival.

I would like to offer my apologies for any mis-communication regarding breakfast, I am glad to see that our Front of House Manager, Holly, was on hand to help you.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable meal in our Marco Pierre White Steakhouse and would hope that despite some communication errors, you will consider staying here again, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Kirsty Martin

Write a ReviewReviews (3,203)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed for 1 night and used the spa. Spa was really busy and there are very limited places to sit and relax, hence we never got a seat.
Restaurant meal very poor- little range, my starter had to be returned as it was cold chicken satay. Portions are small and not good quality atall.we had a drink in the bar area and we were surrounded by dirty plates and glasses that were there for well over an hour. Service generally slow. Breakfast was awful, bacon that had been overcooked in mass quantity and left for the duraton of the breakfast slot no doubt. Food should be replenished!!!!
The hotel itself is generally clean and well presented, shame the food and general standard of service lets it down.definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out to share a review on your stay with us here at the DoubleTree Chester.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us and will be relayed to the relevant department heads to investigate with their teams.

We do hope that you will consider staying here with us again, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel is lovely! The spar is great, good place to go for a relaxing break.
however the service in the brasserie was terrible! Staff just did not want to be there! Un helpfull. And we waited tio long to be served. Felt ignored to be honest! Shame as hotel its self is fab. It does put me off going back a bit.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments.

It is disappointing to read that your were let down by the service in our hotel Brasserie. This is certainly not the lasting impression we wish to create with our guests and I will be certain to pass your feedback on to the restaurant manager to discuss with his team.

I am pleased that you found the rest of the hotel to be lovely and relaxing.

We hope that you will consider coming back to stay with us again in the near future, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Where do I start ? The hotel was clean and very well organised . There were two weddings on when we arrived on Saturday 22nd February 2014 but did not cause us any concern.
We stayed in the Presidential suite which was lovely and contemporary . The bed was very comfortable. They even had left us a cake for our anniversary and birthday lovely touch. Thank you DOUBLE TREE CHESTER.
We had a fabulous meal in the Marco Pierre White restaurant . (Outstanding)
Staff could not of been more attentive through out our stay.
We had breakfast and lunch on Sunday both were lovely.
We also visited the spa , how lovely to end our stay refreshed for our journey home.

Room Tip: Presidential suite for us but I bet all rooms were equally as good.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking out the time to share a review in relation you recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you had a great stay with us in our Presidential Suite, and that depsite the hotel being busy with two weddings taking place, this had no impact on the enjoyment and relaxtion of your stay.

I am pleased we were able to acknowledge your special occassions with the addittion of a complimentary celebration cake in the room.

We all hope you can come back and stay again soon, and very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel is located in a pretty setting and the property itself retains parts of an old country estate. My review is mixed because we experienced both good and bad customer service at the hotel.

The pros for us while at the hotel: (1) the king bed is an American sized king and that was so nice after a week on a double bed in other hotels; (2) there is both a nice restaurant and a brasserie on the property; (3) there is a spa onsite.

The cons for us while at the hotel: (1) there is no where to park and unload your luggage under cover from the weather; (2) we checked in later in the evening, approximately 11:00 pm, and we tried calling the hotel about 6 times from our car to verify directions and the calls were never answered when we expressed our concern to the desk clerk that checked us in his response was that he had been busy that evening checking other guests in; (3) upon arrival or departure there appears to be no one to assist with luggage; (4) we are Diamond Hilton members so we were given two bottles of water per day - one still and one sparkling - we drank the still and the next day when the water was refreshed we were given another bottle of sparkling (I mention this because if the housekeeper had replaced with a still water I would have listed that act of observation as a pro); (5) there is no shuttle service to town; (6) it did not appear that the spa holds free any spaces for guests staying at the hotel - spa services usually need to be booked ahead and I understand this but when traveling it is sometimes easier said than done to schedule your time that detailed until you arrive - so it would have been nice if there was either some options to hotel guests or an alternative like an in room massage maybe.

Overall, the hotel is well kept and comfortable, but in my opinion, nothing extra special.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking out the time to post a review relating to your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that for the most part you had a relaxing stay with us, and found our large KingSize beds to be comfortable.

I would like to apologise if you felt some parts let down your experience. We do offer a concierge service to help with taking luggage to and from the room. They would also be able to help with unloading your car if necessary. I am disappointed to read that this service was not offered to you.

Due to the popularity of our Spa, both with hotel residents and members of the public, it is not possible to keep appointments free solely for hotel residents. Our Spa try to accomodate all guests fairly and will always endeavour to make space for you should it be possible. We encourage all Spa users to make appointments in advance to avoid disappointment.

Your feedback in relation to the water left in the room has been fed back to our head housekeeper to address with her team.

We hope that you will get the opportunity to come back and stay with us again in the near future, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had the package dinner, bed and breakfast for two nights and I thought it was good value. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and the amount of £19.50 to spend was generous except the menu did not change. My room looked on to an ugly roof - there was a thick curtain to obscure the view
The staff were efficient and responsive except for the noisy bartender who chippied out ice and threw bottles into a bin

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree on your recent visit to Chester.

I am pleased that you took advantage of our Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate whilst staying with us and enjoyed your meals in our hotel Brasserie.

We hope that you get the chance to come back and stay again soon, and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is very well located for visits to Chester, yet still feeling like you're sort of in the country. It is mostly modern and clean with good public areas. Our room was modern, functional and had quite a nice bathroom. Nothing amazing, but good for the price. The bed was comfy and the staff were friendly. The only issues we had were a bad meal recommendation, a slow draining sink and a shower that went very hot every minute or so. Not huge issues on a 2 night stay but they prevent me from giving it the highest mark. If you want somewhere efficient, clean and reliable in Chester, I would recommend it. Also, the pool/spa was rather nice!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing a review with us in relation to your recent 2 night stay here at the DoubleTree.

It is lovely to read that you liked our lcoation, being close to the city centre but benefitting from that countryside feel, being surrounded by open space.

It disappoints me to learn that you experienced a few maintenace issues in your room, we would always encourage you to bring these to our attention during your stay so that they can be rectified. I am pleased that they didnt impact on the enjoyment of your stay,

We all look forwrad to seeing you back at the hotel again in the near future.