“A lovely hotel”

Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A lovely hotel”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Clean rooms and a fantastic spa with an outdoor thermal pool too!

The first room we had was definitely not big enough for our travel cot for our baby daughter and within minutes we were moved to a more spacious room (this was presumably because we had asked to pay for an upgrade to a family suite prior to checking in but there were none available upon our arrival).

The food is excellent, both in the bar area and in the Marco Pierre-White steak restaurant. I do wish there'd been better catering for dietary requirements though (no whole milk for our baby's cereal at breakfast even upon request, for example, and only butter not margarine for the toast)...I've been much more impressed with the breakfast buffets in general at other Hilton hotels we've stayed at, but it was OK here. Just OK.

The hotel is about a 10-15 minute drive from Chester city centre and about a 20 minute drive from Cheshire Oaks. There is a bus from the hotel into the city centre.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We expected a better entrance while driving up to reception. Its the Hilton so surely the interior would be great.
On entre the reception was business but we got seen to quite quickly. Once I gave my name everything ran smoothly. We booked the Dinner, Bed & breakfast for £120 staying Friday night for 2 people. We were given
our key cards and 2 warm chewy melting chocochip cookies. My partner laughed until he bit into it and it was all ummms. We had the standard double room. Spacious, clean, iron, kettle & hair dryer also free strong wifi, radio and multi plug extension with usb which could be use to charge your electronics just using usb. We drop our bag enjoyed our warm cookies then went for a drink at the bar and to people watch. A large white wine spritzer and a pint of guiness came to about £9. The clientèle was mixed with couples matured and young and group of ladies. Dinner was included in stay price and it was a 3 course meal, it was amazing. Good portion and presentation was fine cuisine style.

We had a good nights rest and paid a Fiver to have breakfast delivered to our room. Our selection was extensive and we wanted it to be as good a choice as if we had went down to dine. It was delivered on time and was well presented and tasty.
We visited the spa next day. I am body concious but after 5 minutes walking around I lost all inhibitions as the crowd was mixed bodies.
There were about 3 different steam rooms, 2 multi temp showers, sauna, huge pool, extended jacuzzi and a warm very private outdoor swimming pool with seating abd jacczi pumps. Spa was really
great so much to do and so much space which is needed when it gets busy.
I will be re booking for sometime in mid June. I will recommend to any couple or group who wants to get together with a bit of standard.

• Stayed May 2014
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Came here to celebrate our first anniversary and for relaxation. As we were staying the night we had full use of the spa facilities from 10am till 6pm and again in the morning till we checked out at 12 noon.
We booked a full body massage which was lovely and relaxing, then lunch on the terrace - two courses for £9.99 each.
For the rest of the afternoon we used the spa for the steam room, sauna and hydro swimming pools which were fab.
We checked in at reception at 3pm and received our warm chocolate cookies; when we entered our king size room we also found a lovely surprise of a cake with a strawberry on top and icing on the plate saying happy anniversary - a lovely touch :)
The room (118) was spacious with large TV which also had volume controls in the bathroom. Unfortunately the large bed squeaked every time we moved on it which kept me awake, apart from that our stay here was lovely and enjoyable.
The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. Assisting us when necessary.
We visited the Marco Pierre White restaurant and the food was devine. Would definitely recommend!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Thanks for a lovely visit. We were a party of 10 with 5 rooms. All our rooms were together and they were immaculate. All the staff were friendly and helpful. The pool and spa were amazing! The breakfast was good although we arrived towards the end and we had to wait 30 mins for a table of 10 which means that a lot of things were running out. I suggest if you are with a large party you arrive a couple of hours before the end of breakfast. I can't wait to come back to stay here again :)

Stayed May 2014
United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Booked a package where you get a queen room, 3 course meal for tea access to the spa and breakfast in the morning for £120.. Good value!

CHECK IN/ROOM
Friendly helpful staff when checking in and loved the cookies we were given. The hotel reception is nicely decorated and has a pleasant feel to it. The grounds that surround this hotel are beautiful. Allocated a room on the first floor, which was reasonably sized with a huge bed, nice modern bathroom, fridge and tea and coffee making facilities, everything you need.No view from the window but the room was nice so we weren't bothered by this.

THE SPA
Didn't have any treatments but maybe next time. Pools and sauna rooms nice and relaxing. Quite busy but not over whelming. Is very clean and has good facilities would have loved to have spend more time there!

DINING
Had dinner in restaurant and Sat at a table looking over the garden. The menus were explained to us and i was printed out a vegetarian menu which I thought was a nice touch as I can often find menus limiting. Food was tasty and service was good. Lots of cocktails to choose from also which is a bonus. Had breakfast in here the following morning which is buffet style, wide selection to choose from, hot and cold things, tea coffee and juices.
Ordered room service quite late at night and there wasn't much to choose from, only sandwiches and curries, which was a let down as we only wanted bits to nibble on. But the sandwiches we did get were nice.

To summarise, this is a lovely hotel and it was very relaxing. Good customer service which makes it an enjoyable stay. Will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great & impressive place I would recommend taking your partner for infrequent long weekends and certainly lengthy Business Stays. Helpful & friendly Reception Staff. Overall stay is a great experience - fantastic Restaurants but it does take a long while for your food to arrive. Apart from a few Hilton Points - I am not sure whether my stay and loyality is appreciated and/or reciprocated i.e. not wanted during Chester Races.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed for one night of a two night hen party, I cannot fault the hotel staff they were all pleasant and very helpful but not intrusive. We had a meal in the Marco Pierre White restaurant, again all the staff were attentive and polite but the menu I found very expensive for what it was, 13 of us were sat in a lovely private area ( good idea for a hen party group) but the table was cramped, I have to admit I did not complain I was not the organiser and did not want to spoil the evening by complaints! I had the native lobster for main course but I was disappointed there was little flavour. In fact I would say my whole meal lacked flavour. The pool and spa was a good facility which I enjoyed thoroughly. I would recommend the hotel but not the restaurant at the current prices.

Room Tip: Some of the group shared a room for 4 double bed and sofa bed. The sofa bed is not really big enough...