“Very good hotel recently remodeled”

Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
New England
“Very good hotel recently remodeled”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night while attending the Open at hoy lake. To my surprise the hotel was very modern and appeared to be recently renovated. Rooms were very good and modern. Better than most doubletree hotels I have stayed. Service was variable and ranged from very good to average. Food in the lounge restaurant was also variable and ranged from very good fish and chips to below average for fresh sea bass. Breakfast in the lounge was good and ironically the staff at breakfast were friendlier and more helpful than at dinner the previous evening. I would definitely return here again because the rooms and facilities were very good.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MC7894

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

This will be my 3rd time of visiting for a spa day with lunch.

Came with 5 friends we all enjoyed the spa facilities, treatments on offer , a lovely lunch a very relaxing day with very friendly professional staff.
Have also enjoyed a lovely 2 course meal in MPW restaurant using a groupon voucher, local steak beautifully presented and staff excellent service. Highly recommend

• Stayed July 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I travel to Chester on a regular basis for work and usually sty at the Doubletree. It's very well priced (usually comparable to or cheaper than the Best Western and Premier Inn nearby), staff are friendly, remember you when you come back and will always try to accommodate requests. There was a wedding party during my last stay, and ahead of time, the staff had placed me in a room as far from the wedding guests as possible, knowing that I was a business traveller. I didn't even have to ask. Free, fast and reliable Wi-Fi (unlike every time I've stayed at the nearby Best Western) and free parking (again, unlike the Best Western), and of course, the free cookie on arrival (you can ask for two...). Clean room/bathroom, comfy bed and a good TV (useful as it was the World Cup Final). Oh, and of course there's the fridge which is left empty so that you can put whatever you want in there - personally I bring breakfast... All-in-all, an excellent place for business travellers - highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

liverpool
Reviewed 17 July 2014

If you are giving times for your lunches and massage be careful to confirm as ours were changed three times on the day. Cannot speak for hotel stay as I only had a spa day though the outside areas were immaculate

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We returned here for our 1 year anniversary as this is where we got married. it was just as beautiful as we remembered. The room was immaculate and very modern/stylish. we went for afternoon Tea in the brasserie when we got there and were quite dissapointed. we have had afternoon tea there maybe half a dozen times but have not been let down like this before. We arrived at 2.30pm (the time it was booked for) to be hurried onto a table while they set the table out for the afternoon Tea as when it was booked they were incappable of writing down the booking. when we did eventually get to the table at 3pm we were in a rush to eat the food as we needed to make an appointment at 4. when the duty manager came over she was very apologetic and offered us a glass of champagne to apologise. apart from this the stay was fantastic as expected.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Enjoyed our second stay at the hotel recently. Don't know why we left it so long from the last one.
We were fortunate enough to upgrade to a suite, which was well worth the money, room was lovely and big.
We were here on a anniversary break, which the staff knew, and after dinner we got back to the room to find an anniversary cake left for us on the side which I thought was a nice touch.

The breakfast was very good as always, great selection, hot and cold.

Spa and pool facilities are great, the outdoor pool is nice and warm. We had a couple of treatments in the spa and they were brilliant, left feeling really relaxed.

top tip - if we work for government (NHS, school, military etc) make sure your select that on the rate when booking direct only £65 a night for bed and breakfast which is great saving.

Room Tip: any junior suite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Just1MoreTrip
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Doubletree Hilton was the first Spa break I had and became the one of choice, the service was once attentive providing sparking wine on arrival with a sorbet after the treatments and a delicious buffet lunch.

This is no longer the case. on arrival my friend and I were given a locker to share! not sure why you would ever assume it is acceptable to share lockers, when requested we were however, given a second one. The facilities were ok but the personal touches seem to have disappeared. We were not offered sparkling wine on arrival and was only given it when requested and why do you no longer provide a sorbet after your treatments, this again was a lovely touch that is no longer provided.

The facilities are now looking shabby especially the Deamroom which was unkempt with used towels on beds which was quite offputting. The main disappointment of the day however, was the lunch, what has happened to The Terrace lunch menu. 'Pre packed Paninis' really!! I am sure the cold buffet may not of been to everyone's liking but having a panini and flapjack was like going back for school lunches or something you grab when you don't have time to relax and eat, but to sit in a Spa restaurant and be served that was utterly disgusting! I would also like at this point to add that when choosing my panini I actually had no choice as I am lactose intolerant and therefore could only have one. BBQ chicken and bacon as all the other choices contained cheese! The only saving grace of the day were the treatments I received, they were fabulous. I have a Spa on average once a month and have to say it will be a while before I return to the Hilton if at all as there is now fierce competition for Spa days in chester and currently you are lagging behind.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends