Awarded a 'Very Good'- just. Had a good stay here to celebrate my tenth year anniversary with my partner. We chose here, as we've been many times before and had a great time. It's always been perfect. Whilst the stay was still good, it was nowhere near how it has been in the past and certainly wasn't perfect.
The hotel still, has great staff and good sized rooms and bathrooms. The beds are a good size and allow for a quality sleep. The bar, lounge and outside spaces are great. It was lovely to be able to take drinks out into the sunshine in the relaxed surroundings of the hotel. I would definitely recommend afternoon tea and eating in the Brasserie. Absolutely gorgeous! All food we had in hotel was delicious and in our opinion the hotel restaurant was better (& much better value) than the onsite Marco Pierre Whites). The staff were brilliant and very friendly and accommodating to our needs. Having a spa onsite is an added bonus, though things a little disorganised in there! (See separate review)
Now, there have been some changes since the last time we stayed as tea, coffee etc were not replenished and we had to go to Reception to ask on several occasions. One day we left a note for the maid to ask for tea, coffee, sugar etc...and she did but left only one sugar. Cut backs continued when ordering room service, as although meals were of generous portions and very nice, coke was watered down, coffee was very weak and we had to ask for sugar (as we had none in our room). The toiletries were only replenished once during our three day stay but no replenishment of shower gel (the one thing we needed) and luckily we'd brought our own.
The hotel was once spotless and very clean. This seems to be slipping in some areas. Dusty lamps in bedroom, stained bed linen and grubby towels, not to mention a disgustingly dirty toilet bowl and dirt marks in the bath. We also hung towels and wet shorts on the towel rail and they came off full of dust and dirt. Sticky tables, dirty floors in the bar area were accompanied by LOTS of gnats and flies. This is because the staff throughout the hotel are over stretched and over worked. The staff is lovely, friendly, attentive and will do anything for you, but they just don't have the time to do things that need doing properly.
The final gripe is with the maids/cleaners. Our room was situated near a room or two which I'm guessing must be used by cleaners for storage or something, as each morning from 8:30 onwards doors would bang (& I mean BANG) on and off for about half and hour to an hour- not great for any wanted lie ins we wanted!
All in all a great hotel, but due to staff being over worked and over star etched, along with unnecessary cut backs the standards here are slipping. I just hope these faults are acknowledged and rectified as a great hotel is surely going 'down the banks'!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the outskirts of historic Chester surrounded by twelve acres of landscaped gardens, this elegant hotel provides luxurious accommodation only a few minutes from the city centre. This carefully restored 18th-century manor house beautifully combines the past and the present, offering modern comforts and conveniences with traditional styling and decor. The hotel's outstanding facilities include, Grade II listed conservatory, a stunning Club and Spa and a Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Lastminute, TripOnline SA, Prestigia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Doubletree by Hilton Chester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Chester Hotel Chester
- Hilton International Chester
- Chester Hilton International
- Doubletree By Hilton Chester Cheshire