Doubletree by Hilton Chester
US$101
US$93
PremierInn.com
3,342 results
All reviewsthe marco pierre white restaurantmpw restaurantdouble treewarm cookieshoole halloutdoor jacuzzion arrivalspa facilitiespresidential suitelovely hotelgarden roomgreat spamy partnerbuilding worksteam roomrelaxation roomspa break
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Had the pleasure of staying here recently on business and found the hotel was one of the better ones in the area.

The rooms are very comfortable, plenty of storage space, well designed and comfy beds. Great TV with full interactive services including Facebook etc... quite a novelty!

Bathrooms are lovely and well designed with anti-misting mirrors and all the usual amenities you would expect.

I found the reception staff very helpful. My only criticism would be the Food and Beverage function which was a little hit and miss. The Lounge Barman decided he was going home on time and didn't mind telling the guests that the hotel was short staffed that night and there was no one else that could serve in the bar, so it was closing. Slightly unprofessional and disappointing.

Also found the Marco Pierre White restaurant incredibly disappointing. The atmosphere and look of the restaurant was lovely, however, the service was beyond dismal and took 3.5hrs to get through 3 courses. It was way past bedtime by the time the deserts arrived! The staff were new and didn't mind telling that you that either, which didn't fill me with confidence.

However, Breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice and all very tasty. The staff in there seemed much more switched on.

I didn't get time to enjoy the Spa but I will be returning to the hotel and giving it a try then.

The plus points, free wifi which was reliable, and free parking, which in Chester is a blessing! Nice location too.

Overall, forgetting the restaurant, it will be one of my favourites in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MKY330
Doubletree2, Abbie - Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

I am disappointed to hear that you left the hotel less than satisfied with the experience you had.

Please accept my apologies. Your comments regarding the Food & Beverage departments have been relayed to the relevant department head to review with their team.

I hope that you will consider Dining at the hotel again so we are given the opportunity to prove that this is not our normal standard of service.

Abbie

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel is designed on the American style, where you park you car a long way from the front entrance, however they only have one concierge and therefore after a four hour journey you have to carry your own luggage, suit carrier, shoe bags, briefcase etc over 100 yards to the front desk. Having booked in the same problem again no concierge. Try to book a taxi and you wait ten minutes on the phone give up and go to reception, where again there is no concierge and reception is too busy with bookings.Rooms are ok.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ranbir G

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments relating to your recent stay.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfall in service, this is certainly not the lasting impression we wish to create and your feedback will most certainly be acted upon.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove that we are capable of providing more a efficient service.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed as a couple with a teenage son in the Fairfax suite and found it very comfortable and spacious for our needs. The hotel is very spacious and it was also lovely to be able to sit in the garden for meals or coffee in the sunshine! The hotel experience added to our enjoyment of our stay in Chester.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Anna K

Dear Guest

Thank you for your Brilliant comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel with your family.

It is a pleasure to hear that you had such a fantastic stay with us, and your feedback will be passed onto our team members here at Doubletree.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Another visit back to this hotel and although still a good hotel some standards are beginning to slip! We love coming here and still hope to return again in the future this visit was to continue celebrating our 10 year anniversary of being together now we have some time off work. Being a bit cheeky I did mention this on a few occasions before and during our stay as I have read on reviews other people celebrating an anniversary have had some acknowledgement from the hotel e.g. Cards, cake etc however we had none of this just a smile and a hope you have a nice stay! - a little disappointing!

We stayed at the hotel for three nights and had some treatments booked at the spa which I will review on their own page. We checked in after spending a few hours in the spa and having a couple of treatments the lady on the desk was really nice and actually informed me that the hotel and spa package we were booked under for the Monday night also included afternoon tea. We didn't know about this and the spa reception never mentioned it and it was getting a bit late in the day but thankfully we were able to rearrange it for another day, twice. After check in and receiving our free cookie (very nice) we went to our room which had recently been refreshed and it seemed mostly clean however I have to say standards had slipped a little at one time you couldn't find a speck of dust but this time the lamps where dusty as was the towel rail and the rim of the toilet was pretty filthy (maids are probably to far stretched). In general everything else was nice and new android TVs have been put in the rooms, beds still lovely and big and in general pretty quiet only gripe we had was with slamming of doors from corridor we believe it may have been staff using storerooms and it would start pretty early in the morning not great if you want a lie in. If anyone has read my previous reviews they will see I have a thing about noisy hotels this is generally a quiet hotel were you can get a decent nights sleep I just think we were unlucky were we where situated the only other slight problem we had was on our last night some people who were clearly quite selfish must have checked in and had the room above ours, some banging and loud music not overly loud but enough to annoy you if your trying to sleep or just chill out I did mention it on check out more as a warning because I feel sorry for the people getting our room after us!

Bar staff our great although very understaffed as are the restaurant staff they are all very nice, helpful and professional such a shame a company such as the Hilton don't provide enough staff when they make such a huge profit the staff do not deserve to be stretched so much and it is a lot of pressure which they deal with amazingly much better then I could or even would. Great cocktails majitos were really nice, cocktail selection however not as good as it used to be, great drinks, nice atmosphere and amazing food at the restaurant I much prefer the hotels own restaurant The Brasserie and Lounge to Marco Pierre Whites which although very nice and not really anything to fault I just didn't feel the higher price got you anything more special apart from maybe the surroundings which were nice however I will review this on its own page too. Back to the hotels restaurant again nice surroundings and I can recommend the Beef Bourguignon and glazed lemon tart both very nice as already mentioned great staff although very stretched (naughty Hilton) and very clean. We also had our afternoon tea here little selection of sandwiches and cakes plus the scones with clotted cream all very good and apparently you could request more when you finished however what we received was more than enough for both of us. We also had breakfast here on the Tuesday morning as it was included in our Monday night package again all really nice and help yourself to as much as you want. The tables outside on the hotel grounds are nice to sit at too if the weather is nice we were very lucky it was warm and sunny!

We also ordered room service during our stay a few times. It was always very quick and efficient and portions were really good as usual there is a tray charge of £5 which is pretty standard, however I would like to suggest if ordering just drinks there should be no tray charge Hope Street Hotel in Liverpool does this and it makes you more inclined to order drinks to your room! In room dining was great food was lovely and plenty of it, not a bad selection or though I felt it could be a little wider. If you order coffees to your room make sure you ask for a pot of coffee as when I ordered coffees for two the first time we just got two tiny cups of coffee which were barely warm all for the price of almost £3 each plus tray charge and they didn't bring any sugar, second time I asked for a pot plus sugar got the pot which was better but still no sugar and on final morning got a pot with dishes from a la carte breakfast menu still no sugar but a very nice maid was sent back with some sachets.

Mentioning the sugar brings me to the point about some cut backs that seem to be being made (and from experience not just this hotel) the hotel seems to be more reluctant to replenish your tea/coffee trays although if you request extras they will provide however even on arrival there wasn't as much stuff as you used to get even down to a pack of biscuits between two rather than one each this is just being nit picky. Also with room service little jars of mayonnaise and sauces used to be provided I did used to think they must have a lot of wastage so I can see why they have stopped this just bare in mind these are things you will have to request as you are not prompted to when ordering on the phone.

Over all the hotel is still great and I would recommend it but I hope the hotel takes on board guests comments as it would be a shame for things to continue to slip as I feel they already are, more staff really are needed (check out took ages) the current staff are great and work so hard they should not be stretched the way they are despite this they cope well the best they can but be prepared to wait at times such as at desk, bar, restaurant but you should realise this is just down to lack of staff and not the fact the staff aren't pulling their weight.

Also one last thing, free wifi in rooms which is great and has a strong signal, well done Hilton with providing this other hotels should take note!

Room Tip: Might be best to book room on top floor so as not to be disturbed by selfish guests in rooms above!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Awarded a 'Very Good'- just. Had a good stay here to celebrate my tenth year anniversary with my partner. We chose here, as we've been many times before and had a great time. It's always been perfect. Whilst the stay was still good, it was nowhere near how it has been in the past and certainly wasn't perfect.

The hotel still, has great staff and good sized rooms and bathrooms. The beds are a good size and allow for a quality sleep. The bar, lounge and outside spaces are great. It was lovely to be able to take drinks out into the sunshine in the relaxed surroundings of the hotel. I would definitely recommend afternoon tea and eating in the Brasserie. Absolutely gorgeous! All food we had in hotel was delicious and in our opinion the hotel restaurant was better (& much better value) than the onsite Marco Pierre Whites). The staff were brilliant and very friendly and accommodating to our needs. Having a spa onsite is an added bonus, though things a little disorganised in there! (See separate review)

Now, there have been some changes since the last time we stayed as tea, coffee etc were not replenished and we had to go to Reception to ask on several occasions. One day we left a note for the maid to ask for tea, coffee, sugar etc...and she did but left only one sugar. Cut backs continued when ordering room service, as although meals were of generous portions and very nice, coke was watered down, coffee was very weak and we had to ask for sugar (as we had none in our room). The toiletries were only replenished once during our three day stay but no replenishment of shower gel (the one thing we needed) and luckily we'd brought our own.

The hotel was once spotless and very clean. This seems to be slipping in some areas. Dusty lamps in bedroom, stained bed linen and grubby towels, not to mention a disgustingly dirty toilet bowl and dirt marks in the bath. We also hung towels and wet shorts on the towel rail and they came off full of dust and dirt. Sticky tables, dirty floors in the bar area were accompanied by LOTS of gnats and flies. This is because the staff throughout the hotel are over stretched and over worked. The staff is lovely, friendly, attentive and will do anything for you, but they just don't have the time to do things that need doing properly.

The final gripe is with the maids/cleaners. Our room was situated near a room or two which I'm guessing must be used by cleaners for storage or something, as each morning from 8:30 onwards doors would bang (& I mean BANG) on and off for about half and hour to an hour- not great for any wanted lie ins we wanted!

All in all a great hotel, but due to staff being over worked and over star etched, along with unnecessary cut backs the standards here are slipping. I just hope these faults are acknowledged and rectified as a great hotel is surely going 'down the banks'!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paulos_C_23
Doubletree2, Abbie - Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments relating to your recent stay.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove that we are capable of providing a relaxing and comfortable stay in future.