“lovely hotel , shame about the staff !!!”

Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Had stayed here before when it was a Corus Hotel so knew what it was like .Alas , it has changed , and not for the better . We always stay in Hilton hotels if possible as you get upgrades and favours ( like wine and chocs and things ) ( if you have a gold/diamond card ) Well you get none of this at this Hilton ," don't do anything like that " said a rather snooty receptionist . Have a chocolate chip cookie instead !! ( I hate choc chip cookies !) The start to our hols went down hill from then . It took 3 times of asking to get foam pillows as I am allegic to feathers. There were very few staying there and for some reason , breakfast is cooked to order .Although there were only about 6 others having b'fast they forgot to make my husbands pancakes and brought my poached eggs out before I'd barely started my fruit .they then took them away and brought the sameones back 10 mins later coldish and hard and stuck to a very hot plate !!! Dinner was just ok but very expensive .All attempts to speak to anyone in authority were thwarted ( except the housekeeper ,who was very nice ) in fact I am still waiting to hear from the manager ,or duty manager or anyone . I have left messages and phone numbers etc.and have had not a tweet back in nearly 2 weeks . The moral of this is don't bother with this hotel ,try one of the other Hiltons, they are all so much better run and much more reasonable etc. p.s.there are no drawers in the bedrooms and only a very small wardrobe , so we were unable to unpack ! and they added a 10% service charge in the dining room to a dinner that had been paid for 2months before and to the wine !! so a £16 bottle of wine ended up costing us nearly £23

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrspins

Reviewed 4 June 2009

I am very, very disappointed with this hotel.

My extended family took 20 odd rooms here for two nights as part of the weekend of my wedding in Chester and the experience that we had at this hotel was the only slight on a superb weekend.

At check in, even thought my wife to be and I were booked in the Presidential Suite, I found the receptionist who checked me in to be surly and unco-operative. i was left with the impression that I ought to be grateful to be allowed to stay in this place which, admittedly, is a highly impressive building.

Upon getting to our room, I was amazed to discover that the hotel had not even gone to the trouble to leave even a card wishing us luck. We had spoken to the hotel extensively in the run up to the weekend and they were fuly aware we had people from all over the globe coming to stay. It is interesting that all 5 of the hotels we subsequently stayed in in Italy all made mention of our honeymoon - just a shame that a Hotel at home can't show this level of thoughtfulness.

I was also surprised to see that the Mini-Bar was not stocked - maybe a tee-total president had been the last inhabitant of the Suite.

Service problems persisted throughout our stay. The Hotel, although they knew one of our party was a wheelchair user, assigned us a room upstairs to have breakfast in resulting in half of us sat upstairs whilst the other half of the wedding party were downstairs.

We also found a cheaper rate at the hotel the week before we stayed even though we had been informed that we were being sold a special rate given that we were part of a group that would be pumping thousands of pounds into the hotel over the weekend. When we took this up with them, we were just told - "Oh well, we'll give all of your guests an upgrade." Which didn't happen incidentally.

I have personally spoken to three members of the Hotel Staff to try and resolve the above issues. The latest offer on their part was to grant me an additional 2000 points on my HiltonHonours card which is derisory to say the least.

I am in fact still waiting for the Hotel manager to call me back after i was promised that he would a few days ago......

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We very much enjoyed our stay at the hotel over the bank holiday weekend.
The rooms were clean, well designed and comfortable.
The service we received was excellent (we especially enjoyed the warm cookie on arrival!)
We had breakfast included in our room rate which we enjoyed on both mornings of our stay. They had a good selection of hot and cold food, all well presented.
The hotel bar/lounge area was also good. We enjoyed a drink there on one evening.
We weren't affected by the building works.
We definitely hope to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CityLoverWales
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I stayed at hoole hall on Monday 27th April 2009 and I must agree with the person from Glasgow who left his comments. The staff are run of their feet and try their very best to deliver a first class service. BUT to give a first class service you need more staff. I think the powers that be at this hotel need get step down from their ivory towers. Would I stay at this hotel again........NO

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Stayed here for one night (it's now a Doubletree by Hilton) and was quite impressed initially. Reception and rooms nicely done but trouble started next morning.

Hung a breakfast card outside the door for an 0900 delivery, rung them at 0915 asking where it was and was told it was on it's way. At 0930 I went to the front desk and told them to cancel it as I would eat in the restaurant. The two staff appeared run off their feet and there were other issues like the juice jugs being empty and the plastic wrapping still on my black pudding!

Management need to pull their socks up here.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2009

stayed here for 1nite as we were visiting chester zoo and wanted to treat ourselves to staying over hotel was 10min drive from the zoo ....IDEAL!! ! stopped in a kingsize deluxe room.....Hotel is VERY easy find i followed a map from google and didnt get lost once!! reception staff were lovely, polite and helpful and even took our bags and took us to our room =) how cute!!! The room itself was lovely the bed was v.v.v. big n very comfy, had iron, iron board, hair dryer many things other hotels dont have in the room!! There is alot of work going on outside the hotel due to opening up a new spa. The only down falls with this hotel was the water for the shower/bath was luke warm had 2 heat the kettle few times 2 get some hot water, also got woken up at 8am by banging noise (which i guess was from the outside work for the spa) didnt eat here as went out for dinner and tea and breakfast was £15 for a full english!!!Overall was very happy with this hotel and would defo reccomend and will defo be coming back!!
Want any questions just message me...........Thanx

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Hoole Hall AKA Double Tree part of Hilton in Chester was lovely. Stayed for 3 days there for partners birthday. We paid 70 pounds a night which is based on room per night not people.
They are currently building a health spa which is to be finished in August 2009. Lots of building work going off inside and out the hotel/hall.
Easy to find, 5 minutes drive from the centre of Chester. 10 minute walk to the nearest shops/cafe/pub and bus stop. Reception was huge and very posh looking. Staff on reception were ok, a little sharp but friendly when you asked them about attractions in Chester. We were asked if we wanted any newspapers, breakfast etc... so thats always a good point.
Room was excellent, spacious, bed was the biggest i have seen! Plasma TV with freeview channels in the room. Hairdryer - iron - ironing board - tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Bathroom was clean with bath (we stayed in deluxe room) with speaker connected to the TV so you could list to the music channel whilst in the bath!
Mini bar - phone - plenty of wardrobe space with hangers provided. Free internet for laptops in the room or on the ground floor there was a private room with 2 brand new computers for full usage of the internet for any visitor in the hotel and it was always empty so no hassle getting in there and using the computer.

Breakfast we didnt have included as it was too pricey (15 pounds each!) I would say to anyone staying not to have breakfast and to go down to the little cafe (cafe dot.com) down the road near HSBC Bank. They do a breakfast for between 3 and 5 pounds and its a perfect, cute little cosy cafe.
The hall also serves as a bar/restaurant and holds alot of functions in the function room next door to the bar. We witnessed 2 functions on the nights we stayed and to be honest it wasnt noisy or in the way of us coming in and out of the hotel so no problems there!

Hoole Hall is ideal for anyone wanting to visit Chester on leisure or business. Its close by and Chester Zoo and the Blue Planet Aquarium are just round the corner a few miles away!

My only worries is the building work. When we first arrived it just looked like a building site and not a hotel site. Car parking was few and far between as all the work men had piled in there and at night it was packed with function guests cars.
There was some dust sheets and men up ladders making banging sounds in parts of the day in the hotel but it died down around 4pm.

The hall also boosts a cute little lake/pond with a holiday hut next to it perfect in the summer time to sit at.

Id give the place a 8/10 for overall value for money, a welcoming atmosphere and location to Chester. Like i say the only thing letting it down is the building work going on!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple