“Would not go back”

Ranked #42 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Would not go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

A shambles of a hotel!
Stayed at the Dene for one night. Friendly receptionist who inform ups they had book us in for two night we told her that we would get back to her about that (having already decided that we would see what the room was like before making up our minds to stay for more than one night
The room was absolutely filthy never seen so much dust on the side of a chair, the window frames were very mouldy and dirty. The bathroom floor was very spongy The room had wallpaper miss were something had been taken off the wall screw still
sticking out of wall waiting for some one to hurt themselves on it. As you walk round the hotel there is old and worn out furniture and carpet (that looks like someone was getting rid of and the hotel thought it would be all right for them) the musty smell hits you
No restaurant for evening meal as advertised. Did not have breakfast if the cleanliness’ of the rooms are anything to go by god know what the kitchen its like When leaving notice lots of cigarette stub outside the front door (could someone not tidy this area first thing in the morning?)
A shambles of a hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susanlesley13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Dene Hotel on Sunday 29th May. Having read some of the reviews I feel some comments were a little harsh.

I agree that the hotel is in need of some refurbishment and is tired in places. Yes their should have been some soap in the bath room, yes you would have expected the t.v to have a remote control. We were told that the new owners have only been in charge for a matter of weeks and the hotel is due to undergo some refurbishment in the near future.

But on a positive, both the room and the bedding was clean, and our bed was acrually very comfertable. We found the staff to be both friendly and accomodating, especially the young lad who worked on the bar in the evening and served our breakfast in the morning, I think he was called Matt.

We had a totally different experience with our breakfast compared to the other comments I have read. They did not skimp on the amount you got and it was cooked very well.

We walked into Chester both Sunday night & Monday morning a plesent stroll ( apart from the rain) but was at most a 15 minute walk.

Be realistic the room was only £35 ?? I agree had it of been at the full rate of over £100 I would not have been to impressed. But would I stay again when returning to Cherster ??? Yes. In fact I would be interested in going back when the refurb is complete to view the improvements.

All in all we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

I too stayed at the the hotel on Sunday night for a short break in Chester. Reading the previous comments, the management state they have just taken over the hotel. I would seriously suggest rather than replying on trip advisor to a multitude of terrible comments; shut the hotel down until after the refurbishment. I think it's very cheeky to state that they have just taken over the hotel and still charge £35 per room and hope they don't get a bad comment. Bad business acumen I would say, you're starting off on a bad foot...

Room Tip: Non exist
1 Thank chris4876

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

This was just to be a bank holiday get away, a last minute kind of thing, probably would have been best to stay at home. This was a 2 star hotel however i'm not sure how it got that, as you walk in the smell hits you, it was like a smell of must and as though it had not been cleaned in a while, all i would say is Fabreeze, make friends with it. Upon entering the reception you are greeted to chairs that have stains on them, not just one which you can forgive but every chair, not the nicest place to sit. At reception whilst checking into the £35 room, I asked about the WIFI Key, however i was told that that was a mistake on the website and the hotel will not have wifi, what happens if this was a buisness trip? a 21st century hotel would have this, however this is not one of them hotels. No explanation on the wifi was given. Upon going to the room, you are greeted with corridors that are bland and unwelcoming, then entering the room, if you can open the door that is as it was quite hard to do so, you are greeted to a tv, no remote control however with your standard 5 channels, what happened to freeview? a bed that keeps moving away from the wall as it is on wheels, a cupboard the size of a room, a bathroom with a chipped bath and a shower curtain that is just dirty really, been up for a long time. No shower gels, soap or shampoo, you know the usual things you would get in a hotel. so if you want to wash your hands you best like to use just water. You get the usual tea and coffee however the milk was sour, this could have been a one off but it happened, no glasses just plastic cups. this may sound as though it is a moan which it is but for £35 i expect more. We went looking for somewhere to eat, it is advertised that the city centre is 5 minutes away, that is if you have a car so someone cannot drink, next door there is a pub however 2 bar staff serving over 20 people you may aswell go to the shop, the pub next door was just people talking about getting glassed, very nice, not the hotels fault but when we decided to go to the hotel resteraunt for something to eat we were presented with a locked door, once again no explanation. This is by far the worst hotel that I have stayed in, I have read other reviews and have noticed that I am not alone, I have been told by the reception that the hotel has been taken over recently, not my problem, dont charge so much for the rooms that look like they are from an old peoples home and for that smell that catches you at the back of the throat, how long can you use an exuse like that for, there is not anything good to say about this hotel, I could go on as there is a lot a more i could say but i think you get the gist.

Room Tip: dont book, other better hotels in the area.
1 Thank mikey281982
manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

just returned from the dean hotel, i would like to point out when you book with late rooms i feel it is them that market this hotel wrong, it says the room,s are reduced from 125.00 to 35.00 that makes you think you are going to a really nice hotel, this hotel is indeed in need of refurb ,but lets face it you have paid 35.00 for 2 people, the hotel was not dirty ,our sheets where clean and the towels where clean, the bar prices are very good,so if your looking just to lay your head after a night in chester its fine, however the negative i feel i have to mention was that we paid for a breakfast wich was a mistake, we orderd our breakfast at 8.50am and it arrived at 9.40 and when i got it i had to pour the grease off the plate onto a side plate ,the breakfast was awfull and we could not eat it, the tea and coffee also where a cheap variety and not nice, having said this if i was coming to chester i would stay here again i just would not book breakfast .i noticed on some of the reveiws it said that the reception staff where rude and iggnorent i did not find this they where pleasent and helpfull, so for 35.00 its worth a go .

1 Thank barneyboomanchester
Nantwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

My friend and I booked a night at The Dene Hotel to have a night out in Chester. It was advertised on lastminute.com as £120 reduced to £35, so we thought it was a bargain. How wrong could we have been! Upon arrival there were boards advertising roons from £29!

We booked a twin room which was incredibly run down, we didn't even take a shower as the cubicle was filthy and the toilet seat was broken in several places and obviously harboured god knows what in it! Our beds were not even singles...tiny! The hallway had a very strange smell too. Room 15 is under the stairs, noisy and more like a converted cupboard.

Room Tip: Don't book room 15- noisy
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Pmc_11, General Manager at Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at the hotel as a number of your comments cause me concern, such as the location of the room you occupied during your visit. Sadly the room you refer to in your review is not situated in the location you state. This and other issues obviously require clarification in order for me to attempt to resolve the highlighted problems.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

Absolute joke of an hotel.

Dirty and outdated throughout the whole building.

Staff are rude and abrupt.

Food is of a very poor standard.

Short walk from city centre but then there is loads of other B&Bs and hotels on the same road that look better.

Can't quite believe that its a 2 star, doesen't deserve 1 let alone 2!

Room Tip: There are no best rooms, as the whole place stinks
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MattLuxton
Pmc_11, General Manager at Dene Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
Dear Mr Luxton,

I am writing to you in response to the comments you passed on Trip Advisor regarding the experiences you had during your recent stay at the Dene Hotel, Chester.

I am grateful for the review which you wrote, and appreciate the time you took in highlighting the unfortunate aspects of your visit.

I would like to begin my response by explaining that the Dene Hotel has only recently been taking over by us. Indeed, at the time of your stay, we had only purchased the property two days prior to your arrival. This in no way negates our responsibilities to ensure that your stay should have been a pleasant one.

As the new General Manager of the property I have to accept full responsibility for the complete lack of customer service, poor food provision, and general quality of the current product on offer here at the Dene Hotel.

I can however assure you that a complete refurbishment of the property is scheduled to begin later this month extending to all parts of the hotel. As you have seen the Dene Hotel has been neglected over recent years, and its staff left to cope with disappointed guests such as yourself.

While I have been unable to rectify the issues you experienced I can promise that in addition to the property refurbishment, we are introducing a comprehensive recruitment and training program, and launching a new fully incorporating brand image while remaining a family run independent hotel. Our aspirations are to be able to provide at least three star quality within a fully justified two star property.

With this in mind, I would like to take this opportunity to invite you and your partner back to the Dene once the refurbishment has been complete. I am confident that we will be able at that point to surpass both the experiences you have had already and any expectations you may have upon your return to us here at the Dene.

If you would like to discuss this offer more fully, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Dene.

Kind Regards,