“Ok”

Ranked #42 of 44 Hotels in Chester
wales
“Ok”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Wanted a hotel that was not in the middle of Chester and a friend of mine had stayed here before. Plenty of parking spaces which was good , the hotel was in a nice and quiet area of Chester which I liked very much. The hotel itself needs a refurb but there was signs around the hotel saying that is was being done up. The room was clean and tidy my only gripe was the shower !!! (if you can call it that !!!) No pressure - and the setting was wrong one minute cold and then it would go to hot - not good !!! The breaksfast was very nice and the staff were very polite and helpful. I would stay in this hotel again due to it's location - here's hoping they will have sorted the shower out by then !!!!

Room Tip: Shower is a bit dodgy in room 62
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank calimarie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
newport south wales
Reviewed 26 July 2011

we have just returned from a weekend stay at dene hotel yes the hotel needs updating but for £65 for 2 nights great value.we priced a travel lodge and it was £112.bedding and towels all very clean,staff couldnt do enough for us we would definatley use this hotel again.The owners have only been here a short while and have made improvements already.good luck dene hotel we WILL be back linda and mick brokenbrow newport south wales

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Cheapest hotel I could find in area. The room was clean but in need of decoration. No hot water in shower or sink was disappointing. Friendly staff in reception and plenty of parking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2011

arrived on the 10/6/2011 from the outside the hotel looks old and uncared for. Only paid £35 for a room on a friday night so I was not expecting much. On arrival I was greetede by the freindly Receptionist who checked us in with no issues.
After reading the reviews I was really worried about the stay but I have got to sya that these reviews were very harsh.
The room was clean and the bed linen was spotless. The bathroom needed updating but really for £35 what do people expect. The cheapest alternative in Chester on the day that I wanted to stay was £65!
We went down to the bar and again a very freindly young bar man called Carl served us. He was polite and really helpfull. I also learned that the hotel had just been taken over and was just about to undergo a room by room refurb.
Breakfast was really good and our kids enjoyed only negative was that there was no high chair as it was being used by some one else.
My advice is a good place to stay on a budjet you want the earth then go to the Ritz but at £35 it is a bargain
Definatly will be back

Room Tip: Try and stay in 74
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pinky1904
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My wife & I, stayed here to celebrate our anniversary.
We found the staff very helpful & friendly. Our room was a bit shabby, but clean, we reported 2 blown light bulbs, & they were replaced the same day.
The bedding was disappointing,
There was only a sheet between us & the mattress, which was a bit lumpy, & one thin pillow each on the bed, with 2 more in the wardrobe, with no slips, & the pillows were badly stained. We were going on to stay with family, so had a duvet & pillows with us, so slept on their duvet, which made the bed far more comfortable, & used our own pillows. They really need to sort their bedding out.

Breakfast, was good & plentiful, with a very pleasant, but overworked young man serving.
Overall, a large room for 2, with breakfast for £45 a night, ok value.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

A shambles of a hotel!
Stayed at the Dene for one night. Friendly receptionist who inform ups they had book us in for two night we told her that we would get back to her about that (having already decided that we would see what the room was like before making up our minds to stay for more than one night
The room was absolutely filthy never seen so much dust on the side of a chair, the window frames were very mouldy and dirty. The bathroom floor was very spongy The room had wallpaper miss were something had been taken off the wall screw still
sticking out of wall waiting for some one to hurt themselves on it. As you walk round the hotel there is old and worn out furniture and carpet (that looks like someone was getting rid of and the hotel thought it would be all right for them) the musty smell hits you
No restaurant for evening meal as advertised. Did not have breakfast if the cleanliness’ of the rooms are anything to go by god know what the kitchen its like When leaving notice lots of cigarette stub outside the front door (could someone not tidy this area first thing in the morning?)
A shambles of a hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susanlesley13
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Dene Hotel on Sunday 29th May. Having read some of the reviews I feel some comments were a little harsh.

I agree that the hotel is in need of some refurbishment and is tired in places. Yes their should have been some soap in the bath room, yes you would have expected the t.v to have a remote control. We were told that the new owners have only been in charge for a matter of weeks and the hotel is due to undergo some refurbishment in the near future.

But on a positive, both the room and the bedding was clean, and our bed was acrually very comfertable. We found the staff to be both friendly and accomodating, especially the young lad who worked on the bar in the evening and served our breakfast in the morning, I think he was called Matt.

We had a totally different experience with our breakfast compared to the other comments I have read. They did not skimp on the amount you got and it was cooked very well.

We walked into Chester both Sunday night & Monday morning a plesent stroll ( apart from the rain) but was at most a 15 minute walk.

Be realistic the room was only £35 ?? I agree had it of been at the full rate of over £100 I would not have been to impressed. But would I stay again when returning to Cherster ??? Yes. In fact I would be interested in going back when the refurb is complete to view the improvements.

All in all we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple