Dene Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I would first of all like to say that I did complain to the hotel to give them a chance to redeem themselfs - They never got back to me.
The worst of our complaints was the noise. We were in room 501, the first one off reception on the ground floor, this meant that we heard every time someone went outside to smoke, every time someone checked in etc we thought this would be just about bearable as we thought once we got to sleep we wouldn’t notice it however the ‘lovely’ couple in the room next to us decided to have a raging argument until 5am in the morning. We were woken first at around 1am when they went to smoke and stood right next to our window. We managed to get back to sleep but were then woken again at 3.15am by the arguing. We waited for half an hour hoping they would stop but when they didn’t so my partner went find the night porter (this was now 3.45am), who hadn’t heard anything because he was too busy watching TV in the bar area. He did go and knock on the door and ask them to keep it down as it was 4am (we could hear him word for word). The couple whispered for ten minutes and then reverted back to yelling. This constant yelling continued until 5am in the morning and included doors slamming, smoking trips and vile language and swear words. The night porter did not return at all during this time, he might as well have not been there. My partner had to be up at 5.15 to get to work, he got approximately 3 hours of sleep which is completely unacceptable. I didn’t have to get out of bed until 7am so when my partner left I went back to sleep, I was woken up again at 6am by everyone else checking out (I heard many of them complaining about the same couple). I realise that the couple arguing was not the hotels fault but the actions taken to stop it were. Also I don’t believe room 501 is a suitable room for guests as it is too close to reception and the front doors where people go to smoke.
I was also not impressed with the fact that there was no main light only small side lights which did not provide enough light for me to do my work in.

Room Tip: If you should choose to stay at this hotel despite all the terrible reviews then make sure you are not in the ground floor rooms, the noise is unbelievable.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KLF260989
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed at hotel for a one night staywe have stayed here a couple of times before both on our own and with friends so we knew that it wasn't going to be the best place to stay but with the graduate ceremonies on we were struggling to find somwhere to stay, The room was actually quite good but there it ended, our room was next to reception at ten to five in the morning two members of staff were having a nice loud discussion outside our door the at seven o clock the kitchen staff also had a discussion outside our room.We wnt for breakfast which we had prepaid for which included hash browns, scrambled egg. beans,sausage + cereal. The breakfast we could choose from was cerial tomatoes 3 sausage (between 8 people) something a pale yellow colour welded to the bottom of the tin. I enquired if anymore food was going to be bought out but they had run out of hash browns they didn't know if the chef(???) was going to cook anymore sausage, another guest asked for some fried eggs on toast but they had run out of eggs!! so I assumed scrambled eggs was of the menu as well not bad for £4.95 each. We asked for a refund the reciepionist had to go and confirm there was no food available so a refund was given.We travel to Chester to visit relations quite often but this place is now most definately off our list

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mictop
Reviewed 1 October 2013

we stayed at this hotel on 24th of September room number 43 overlooking the bowling green on our journey north. The hotel itself is tired and run down, and this can only have a negative effect on the staff. To start with the reception area is not welcoming and reflects a couldn't care less attitude. Turning right to find our room you pass the bar area, it smells very stale, going left to join the stairs, here you will find an accident just waiting to happen. Get that stair carpet replaced!! . Locating our room, in a word shabby. The double bed was not joined in the centre as it should be in fact about 6" out of true, None of the drawers in the unit would close, The TV was way out of date and only had 3 channels. The toilet seat was the cheapest possible money could buy. The bathroom door would not close and no heating in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was spotlessly clean, The bedlinen was clean and crisp The bed was comfortable and we slept well until we were suddenly woken by a bunch of youths outside in the bowling green area, screaming an d shouting , one of which decided to ride his moped across the bowling green and fall off. Having been driving for most the day this was not what we expected at 11.30 pm. The following morning at breakfast the waitress was rushing around as she was on her own . The breakfast was good and adequate We were back on the road at 9.oo am Would we go back there? I don't think so. The hotel is lacking atmosphere and warmth.

Room Tip: Go there with an open mind
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

3. Bedroom curtains didn't even cover the windows
4. Advertised free WiFi wasn't available
5. Breakfast was unbelievably poor
6. Customer Service during and AFTER our stay was appalling

Conclusion, never stay in this over-rated and over-priced hotel

Room Tip: Look elsewhere in Chester
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Colin R
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews here I was very worried about booking an overnight stay here for hubby's birthday night out in Chester-I was pleasantly surprised. Hotel was lovely for the price, clean minimal room-lovely comfy bed, clean linens, extra pillows etc... Of course we only paid just under £50 including full English breakfast which was also nice! No phone in room-not that we needed one. No shower gel/shampoo but little soaps-so take your own as we did :) I would stay here again without fail!

• Stayed: September 2013