“Friendly Service”

Ranked #42 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Chester, United Kingdom
“Friendly Service”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I have just checked out of here this morning and can say that for the £35 I paid for my room I am happy.

I originally booked a single room as an advanced booking on the website and was give a choice of three discount codes - I chose the free breakfast. To get these codes all you had to do was enter your email address on the member page of the website. Upon arriving at the hotel last night I found I had been upgraded to a double room for free.

The room was spacious and has a closet and an ensuite as well as TV and tea making facilities. I did receive towels unlike someone who left a review and found the room to be just the right temperature.

The bathroom was one of the cleanest I have seen anywhere I have stayed and I had hot water for a bath - although will admit that it was lukewarm from the shower.

The bed was huge - is was two beds pushed together, but unfortunately was two separate mattresses not one big one on two bases - and I found it comfortable once I got settled although it was a very hard mattress. The bedding was clean and fresh and a blanket was provided as well as spare pillows.

Breakfast was good - although I may be biased as I got it free - and I found it to be filling.

Staff are very friendly, even a gentleman who appeared to be the handyman. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Tatty hotel.Noisy rooms .Inadequate fire safety.No hot water in shower no water at all from shower.
Tired no sleep long day ahead. Noisy road hot room windowlatches broken.Thread bare carpet in hall .In need of upgrading.

• Stayed March 2014

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

After reading some of the reviews of this hotel I was a bit apprehensive about staying here. Have to say we found all staff there to be very polite and pleasant - approachable and friendly, offering very helpful advice. The room was basic (and agree with the very cold comments - however it IS early March and it doesn't seem environmentally friendly to fully heat a hotel when rooms are going to be empty. There is an electric heater on the wall which warmed the room perfectly when put on. Breakfast was fine - self service for continental and hot served for you.

Hotel is within relatively easy walking distance of centre of Chester (me and my husband walked there twice and also walked around the city walls before returning). It takes about 20 mins at very slow pace there and 20 mins back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the downstairs corridor and did face the breakfast room - was a little bit noisy and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at.... whether you pay £10.00 or £100 for the night it is no better that a doss house.
Think of the 1970's CrossRoads Hotel, bed's uncomfortable, hear every sound from upstairs, no towels in the room, breakfast was not tempting or well cooked with service by uninterested staff.
No value for money or respect for it's customers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Andy4093
Wales
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel once before. This time we were upstairs and although the rooms are slightly dated, it was clean and warm.
Hot shower, clean beds. What more can you ask for???
Bar prices- cheap!
Breakfast- not that appetising, but ok.
All other reviewers that slate this hotel but book this place for £54 for two people for one night (which may I add is a Saturday night with breakfast!!!), need their heads testing!
If you want perfection, dip your hands in your pockets and go elsewhere. This is coming from someone who has just come back from a 5 star luxury holiday abroad.
We all have standards, but relating to price, this is a great little find to stay in!
Keep up the good work. But you must get your fire alarm sorted in the dining room. Not all guests like to sit with a window open at breakfast.
All in all, if you want somewhere clean with a cheap bar, this is the place to stay for budget accommodation.
Staff are friendly and polite.
Well done!

Stayed January 2014
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We changed our room twice in a two night stay. The heating was haphazard to say the least, the rooms were freezing cold, but radiator on in the middle of the night! Water trickling out of the hot tap was cold. The breakfast was cold, the bacon was like a piece of cardboard, I think it had been on the plate all night. The only staff we saw were two young girl receptionists on alternate shifts, and they did absolutely everything - from cleaning the dirty occasional table in the first room when we arrived, through trying to find us a warm room, serving breakfast in the morning to serving drinks in the bar in the evening! A receptionist gave me contact details to make an official complaint, which I have done, but still after two weeks have not had the courtesy of an acknowledgement. We were in the area for a funeral, our experience at this hotel made a sad occasion even worse.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lastchancer
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before and had no complaints.
My story. I made a booking for this hotel direct with the Dene for 3 nights on the 18/11/13 all went well. Come the 07/12/13 2 of our party were taken ill and could not make the trip for 09/12/13 so I made a telephone call to the Hotel on the 07/12/13 at 14.06 to cancel the booking within the terms and conditions of the Hotel receptionist said that would be ok. At the end of the month my credit card bill arrived with a charge for £55.00 for 1 nights stay at the hotel. I emailed the hotel reception to ask for refund and was told the payment has been taken and we could not refund the money but if I would like to make another booking I would be given a complimentary night as the party were unable to get the time to do the trip again I asked for refund again by email including printed proof that I had telephoned the hotel. The hotel wrote back saying that the reception did not have the power to issue refunds and would pass my complaint onto head office giving me an email address for the head office. I have tried to communicate with this so called head office by email a few times but they will not respond to me. I have suggested the small claims court hoping to spark some life into the case but to no avail. My party feel that we have been robbed by this Hotel as we complied with the terms and conditions set out. Therefore I would not stay or recommend the Hotel to anybody. So be aware if you book and have to cancel you will not get your money back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends