Dene Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$124
Official Site
US$74
US$64
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Dene for three nights and made the cardinal sin of booking before checking on here as it was a last minute trip with family and most hotels were fully booked as it was the Easter Bank Holiday weekend. You can imagine my thoughts when after booking I saw the horror reviews and so it was with some apprehension we arrived at the Dene on our first night, but I have to say we were really pleasantly surprised! Upon arrival we discovered that we were separated into the two main areas of the hotel, the recently modernised rooms to the left of reception (rooms 300 +) and the more dated and much smaller rooms at the rear of the hotel (rooms 20+). When we enquired about the difference at reception we were offered another room for our second night on the first floor (7), which was above the reception but was much more spacious. The reception staff were all really friendly and could not be more helpful during our stay, even locating a phone charger lost in the move for me! In relation to previous comments I cannot comment on the food as we didn’t eat in the hotel but we found the rooms to be well equipped with fresh towels each day and a hair dryer provided (albeit well hidden in the dressing table drawer). The beds were comfy and the rooms were spotlessly clean. We were concerned over the numerous negative comments around noise levels but found no such issues in both rooms we stayed in (37 & 7) and in fact in both we slept with the windows open with no problems. In our parents room (304) there was a noise issue in the mornings as it was opposite the dining room and so the breakfast rush from 7am was unfortunately their wake-up call! We also had no issue with hot water, in fact on the first night I nearly scalded myself by turning the hot water on full in the shower due to comments I had seen! In room 304 there was a slight delay with the sink taps but after a few seconds the water ran hot.
All in all if you are looking for a cheap and cheerful hotel on the Hoole Road then the Dene is a good choice, its located opposite the luxury Green Bough hotel that we have also stayed at, and I have to say the £150+ a night difference is a struggle to justify. Although parts of the hotel are dated it is nothing a fresh lick of paint and some minor cosmetic tweaks wouldn’t solve. Taking it for what it is, which is a basic but clean hotel in a great location, we would def visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms near the kitchen and dining room do suffer from early morning noise during breakfast service
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Just left this hotel after staying one night. I'll start with the good points.. The rooms are spotlessly clean so kudos to the cleaners! The room included breakfast, beds are very comfortable and finally there was plenty of parking.
Now for the negatives. They placed me and my 2 yr old on the first floor right next to the stairs and noisy door so we didn't actually get to sleep until 3am when everyone was done partying!
We were also placed above what seems the kitchen/dining room which had constant chatter, laughter, music and general noise until well past 1am. The carpets are threadbare. The rooms are beyond basic with no hair dryers or room phones and finally the showers are absolutely awful. There's no chance of getting a proper shower with the rubbish water pressure and lack of hot water. However the bath runs hot and so you can have a decent soak in the tub (as long as your room has that option!) Overall I wouldn't stay here again. Far too noisy and far too basic especially if staying with children. Next time I'll find somewhere a bit more accommodating for children.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have just checked out of here this morning and can say that for the £35 I paid for my room I am happy.

I originally booked a single room as an advanced booking on the website and was give a choice of three discount codes - I chose the free breakfast. To get these codes all you had to do was enter your email address on the member page of the website. Upon arriving at the hotel last night I found I had been upgraded to a double room for free.

The room was spacious and has a closet and an ensuite as well as TV and tea making facilities. I did receive towels unlike someone who left a review and found the room to be just the right temperature.

The bathroom was one of the cleanest I have seen anywhere I have stayed and I had hot water for a bath - although will admit that it was lukewarm from the shower.

The bed was huge - is was two beds pushed together, but unfortunately was two separate mattresses not one big one on two bases - and I found it comfortable once I got settled although it was a very hard mattress. The bedding was clean and fresh and a blanket was provided as well as spare pillows.

Breakfast was good - although I may be biased as I got it free - and I found it to be filling.

Staff are very friendly, even a gentleman who appeared to be the handyman. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Tatty hotel.Noisy rooms .Inadequate fire safety.No hot water in shower no water at all from shower.
Tired no sleep long day ahead. Noisy road hot room windowlatches broken.Thread bare carpet in hall .In need of upgrading.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 9 March 2014

After reading some of the reviews of this hotel I was a bit apprehensive about staying here. Have to say we found all staff there to be very polite and pleasant - approachable and friendly, offering very helpful advice. The room was basic (and agree with the very cold comments - however it IS early March and it doesn't seem environmentally friendly to fully heat a hotel when rooms are going to be empty. There is an electric heater on the wall which warmed the room perfectly when put on. Breakfast was fine - self service for continental and hot served for you.

Hotel is within relatively easy walking distance of centre of Chester (me and my husband walked there twice and also walked around the city walls before returning). It takes about 20 mins at very slow pace there and 20 mins back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the downstairs corridor and did face the breakfast room - was a little bit noisy and we could hear all noise from upstairs - did not affect the quality of our stay at all though.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple