“The Pheasant Inn - an excellent night away”
Review of The Pheasant Inn

The Pheasant Inn
Ranked #9 of 76 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked a room at The Pheasant to surprise our friends who were also staying there. Unfortunately there had been a storm which had knocked out the power supply. This somehow made our warm welcome even nicer as the building was bathed in candle light.

Our beamed executive room was fabulous with a large en-suite and all the usual things you would expect, with an extremely comfy bed.

Due to the power cut the kitchen had to be closed, but the staff offered to drive us to the village and collect us afterwards free of charge so that we could eat elsewhere, which we thought was a great gesture. Fortunately, the power returned and we didn't have to take up their offer, opting to eat in the bar area. The food was amazing and we were all totally stuffed. The Pheasant sells a selection of real ales too and the bar was really well stocked.

The Pheasant is situated in an elevated area. Our room had wonderful uninterrupted views which stretched for miles.

I would definitely return to The Pheasant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This was our second visit the The Pheasant and well worth the wait! This time around we were joined another 2 couples whom we had recommended the place too....they also loved it.
Our bedroom was beautiful, comfortable bed and nicely decorated. Small en suite shower room but perfectly adequate. My only criticism of the room would be that the door to the en-suite in the room we had doesn't close properly, as the door is too wide for the frame. Hubby had a clear view of me sitting ungraciously on the throne through the big gaps which was rather irritating. It's a bi fold door and whilst I appreciate the doorway is small there must be a way around the problem. Perhaps a door that rolls into place from behind the wall?
The service was excellent all round. Staff were lovely and very helpful. The food excellent ( I still savour the taste of the superb sticky toffee pudding). and the view to die for. We had enjoyed this stay so much, on a whim we asked if we could stay another 2 nights and fortunately they had the availability. We will be back again next year!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We turned up un-booked for lunch last Saturday and enjoyed a really good lunch washed down with well-kept ales. Quite a few tables were booked, but we easily found space, and the charming and efficient staff made us very welcome.
There's a good range of food styles, but we particularly enjoyed the 'fish' and 'mixed' platters, which offered good value and included very good smoked fish. They seem to strike the right balance between being a pub and a restaurant.
This is a very good pub, to which we'd happily return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank drmarkf
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We've been to the pheasant plenty of times before and have always enjoyed their great food. However today we had such a poor experience I'm not sure we'll return again? After waiting for our order for 30 mins we asked the waitress where our food was, she said she'd check and 10 mins later no food, and no update so we asked again. Same story, no food no news or update. So 50 minutes after we'd placed our order we were finally told our order had never made it to the kitchen and if we would wait 20 mins we could have our food! We were given a full refund and a packet of crisps for our 2 hr walk back!!

The food here is great but today there were a lot of people complaining about the appalling service, and it was terrible. For a pub that's always busy and always popular giving dreadful service is inexcusable.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CharlotteLogie
Andykidda, Owner at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

As a general company policy we do not respond to TripAdvisor reviews be them positive or negative as we believe it is a communal public forum. But I believe your review to be particularly unfair regarding your visit as they do not provide a full account of the situation as it was explained to yourselves and how we (namely myself) sought to rectify it with you on the day.

I explained to your husband at the bar the reason why your meals did not arrive and I am deeply sorry this issue happened. There was a technical error with our EPOS ordering system which caused orders taken over a 5 minute period not to print in the kitchen - namely water had got into the plug socket of the kitchen printer causing the fuse to blow. While the order system was immediately fixed as soon as this was realised and all checks were re-printed, unfortunately you and another couple were sitting on the same table, and the order system only re-printed one order for that table, table 56. Regrettably, your order was the one order that did not print. When you came to chase your order, the waitress duly went to check in the kitchen to check its progress. She saw a check on the board for table 56 (the other couple), and chased the mains on that check which were actually about to leave the kitchen with another waitress, assuming these were the meals for yourself. She was unaware that these were not the meals for yourself, but for the other couple at the same table.

When your husband came to the bar, obviously cross that he had not received his meals and requesting a refund from a junior member of staff, I overheard the conversation, intervened and dealt with the matter myself. Immediately investigating further and realising what had happened (that the EPOS system failed to re-print both checks for table 56), I immediately refunded your husband the bill and offered my sincere apologies. I explained to your husband how this unfortunate, honest error had happened.

Having offered my sincere apologies I asked your husband what I could do for you as I certainly did not want you to leave having not be served. I informed your husband that we could immediately start cooking the specific meals you requested (this would take approximately 20 minutes) or offer two sunday roast dinners which could be served practically straight away. This of course would be completely complimentary. Your husband said he would just take a packet of crisps and would let me know regarding my offer of the complimentary meals. Sadly you chose to leave and not take our offer to rectify the situation.

While I am deeply sorry that you did not receive your meals, it was explained to you the reasons that caused this, and we looked to rectify the situation immediately. I believe this negative review does not reflect the true levels of service at The Pheasant and how we looked to redeem ourselves from the situation. I therefore consider this review unhelpful to other potential guests of The Pheasant.

While you did not wish to take up our offer of two complimentary meals on the day,as a further gesture of goodwill, should you wish to reconsider your stance and associated review, we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Pheasant up until the end of this month for a complimentary two course meal for two. Should you wish to accept our offer please contact lucy@nelsonnorthwest.co.uk

While our aim is to please 100% of people 100% of the time, we recognise sometimes this is not always possible, but where we have failed as is the case here, we believe we have done all we can to redeem the situation. Should our offer not be acceptable to you, we wish you all the best in your future dining experiences elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Andrew Nelson

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We go here 3 or 4 times a year, mainly because of the stunning location / views over the Cheshire plain, and welcoming old-world interior. It's also good for a decent walk from the pub after lunch.
I visited in a new capacity with a new baby and 6 friends with babies recently. We weren't sure how welcome we would be in practice especially as we hadn't booked (a Tuesday lunchtime). Welcome and service was ok - not bad and not noticeably good either way. Once we'd ordered our food, we were pretty much left to it... We all commented that we would have ordered desserts, coffee and more drinks if the staff had only offered, thus spending a lot more! I also returned again and found the same thing... A pleasant enough experience but better service would improve it. Good choice of menu and good was again "fine" rather than fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Had a lovely stay; the room was very nice with a great view. Great facilities in the room; we stayed in one of the rooms in the barn, so can't comment on the rooms in the main building. The pub was very cosy with open fires. The food was excellent and staff were very attentive and friendly. The breakfast was delightful; enough choice to please everyone!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Went here again this year after getting engaged there last year, and it was almost as good this time too! (marks off because this year because last year we got engaged!). Food was amazing, room was lovely, views were amazing, staff were very helpful and the whole place is fantastic. Would highly recommend anyone to stay here or just go for food.