“Won't be back in a hurry.”
Review of The Pheasant Inn

The Pheasant Inn
Ranked #10 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
wirral
“Won't be back in a hurry.”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Bitterly disappointed with our visit today! Was really looking forward to a light lunch after our walk along the Sandstone Trail. Granted it was busy, but my Welsh rarebit was cold, think it just saw a kitchen blow torch, rather than a grill, sent it back only to be given an equally cold replacement. My husbands 'hot' beef sandwich was luke warm & my daughters fish & chips (off the children's menu) came with peas, despite telling the waiter twice, we wanted beans. The waiter who served us was monosyllabic & to top it off got charged £7.80 for a glass of Sauv Blanc! Used to love this place, but won't be back in a hurry. Such a shame.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynndiloulou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Tarporley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This has been my top local eating and drinking place for years, friendly service if you brought the dogs in for a pint whilst walking the Hils or bringing regular corporate guests of mine for a guaranteed great evening of relaxed atmosphere and top notch food. The Pheasent was the place we benchmarked all others by. We held our breth in anticipation for the new grand opening. Maybe we picked a bad day to go, but mid week, I doubt it ! The place looks nice enough, but now lacks the lovely sofas to just chill and have a drink. Tables have been squeezed in everywhere. So it's sadly no longer a place to drop in for a pint with the dogs. Okay, it's clearly an eating establishment now, that's progress. We visited as we regularly do for a quiet pint and a simple good meal. We were greeted by the manageress who strutted around like a clucking hen, placing us at a table we could not get our legs under, she said yes that often happens at that table ! We were then relocated to the main dining area.
Fifteen minuets later we were offered a drink, "oh you two haven't got drinks" I'll be back !
The food arrived, my normal predictable simple order, it was just okay when it arrived. The Bar girl was lovely and asked us how our meal was. In the background was the manageress wizing up and down making clucking noises, making everybody dizzy, not creating the relaxed atmosphere the Pheasent should have.
Sadly I feel like we have lost a good old friend with visit to the new improved place !
Don't get me wrong, I like change for the good, but the place was not broke, why fix a good thing ?
The now long gone manager Adrian, introduced himself to every new customer and treated them as an old friend when you returned, incidentally remembering there name. Amazing.
So for me, I've lost my fave place !
Progress has lost some of the charm the pheasant once had in the bucketfull.
Give it a go if you have never been before, you won't know what's now missing ! You might even love it.
But in this case, progress sucks !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank roverland90
Chester
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We popped to The Pheasant on a sunny afternoon for a light lunch and I have to say it was fantastic. As far as garlic bread goes, it was the best garlic bread I've ever had. The gnocchi and meat platter were equally as wonderful and the setting of the restaurant was idyllic. Lovely young lady called Charlotte served us and she was pleasant, chatty and informative. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I had a one night stay for a short break, the room was nicely appointed and was good value for money. Dinner was excellent - the food was top notch and again very reasonably priced. Our only (very) minor gripe was that service was a little bit slow, although all the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast the following morning was similarly great. We would definitely stay and eat here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Just had a cracking lunch
All 5 mains & 5 puds all tasted superb and presentation tip top will defiantly return well done to all try and sit by the window for some of the best views a restaurant will offer c u again soon my father in law has found a gem
Many thanks

Stayed April 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here the night before the wedding of our friends at Peckforton Castle. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch, evening meal and breakfast at the inn. Quite honestly we wish we had stayed here on the evening of the wedding rather than the castle!
My partner was best man at the wedding and the staff allowed me to print off his speech after making some alterations, along with the grooms speech which he had typed that morning.
We are still struggling to work out why we only paid £75 for one night bed and breakfast and our friends staying in the room above us paid £105...

Room Tip: We had a room with a view, I understand some do not.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emilyrutt
Wirral.
Reviewed 13 April 2014

It is many years since we ate here WHY oh Why oh Why, We were visiting the Cheshire Farm playground with our granddaughter and decided to have a break, so drove over from there only 10minutes away. The staff were very nice indeed, friendly and pleasant. The food could not be faulted, absolutely delicious,and the service excellent. It is a child friendly pub,and our four year old also enjoyed herself. We have already recommended it to our other daughter as it is also dog friendly, dogs allowed in the bar area, and I shall be suggesting a visit with my ladies who lunch. We won't leave it so long next time . Keep up the good work, I think you deserve Cheshire dining pub of the year award

Room Tip: We only lunched here this section only seems to have to ratings for the B & B section
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
#2 of 4 in Tarporley
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to The Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!