“First visit, wonderful tastes”
Review of The Pheasant Inn

The Pheasant Inn
Ranked #9 of 76 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We took my husband's mother for an early Mother's Day lunch. We did not want to go on Mothering Sunday as we wanted to sample the usual menu and not the "special". Our lunch was excellent - mother-in-law was purring!! I had the goat's cheese mouse starter and it was really good, wonderful tastes mingled together. My husband and I shared the fish platter. It was excellent and we particularly enjoyed the haddock goujons - wonderfully cooked fish in crispy batter. Mother-in-law had the scampi which she really enjoyed. This was our first visit to the Pheasant and we really enjoyed it. The staff were very welcoming and it is a lovely setting. No doubt we will be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Visited the Pheasant Inn on a Tuesday lunchtime on our way to Peckforton Castle. Easy to find with great parking. Lovely looking pub in a pretty area. All of the staff were friendly and very attentive. I ordered the steak burger with goats cheese. The portion size was extremely generous and the burger itself was amazing. My fiancé ordered the pie of the day, the pie was huge for the price and tasted delicious. We had to have a dessert after our yummy main. Really pleased we decided to stay here as we were not disappointed. If we were closer we would defiantly visit more often. Thanks for a really enjoyable visit :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Friday lunchtime, waited 25 minutes for food order to be taken only 4 of us. Food is gorgeous and well worth the terrible service. Main course cleared, asked for dessert menus and had to ask the waiter after waiting 40 minutes could he take our order, by this time nobody wanted anything so we asked for the bill, that didn't arrive so had to go to the bar to pay. No tip left which was a pity as the chef certainly deserved one. This isn't the 1st time the service has been rubbish hence why I've decided to leave a review. They desperately need to get their act together. The Eastern European waiter just shrugged his shoulders when we said we no longer wanted puddings. I've always found the staff arrogant but now they just don't care. Go for great food but hope they've got good staff on the day as it's embarrassing if you're taking guests there.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank T2423YXMichelle_M
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Upon entry we were shunned by the manageress as she ushered another couple out the door. We stood around for a few minutes as two bar staff conversed amongst each other, ignoring us. Being a Friday lunchtime it was fairly quiet nevertheless it took us a further 5 mins to be presented with menus. We weren't informed as to wether we had to order at the bar for our food but we took the hint to do so as the staff ignored us when it was clear we were ready to order. No problems with the food- came in good time.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Booked a long weekend at The Pheasant and Laura and her team worked tirelessly to make our stay fantastic. Food was great, room very clean and welcoming and we could take our little dog everywhere with us. Superb breakfast and a lovely choice of food in the evening whilst watching the sunset. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Bitterly disappointed with our visit today! Was really looking forward to a light lunch after our walk along the Sandstone Trail. Granted it was busy, but my Welsh rarebit was cold, think it just saw a kitchen blow torch, rather than a grill, sent it back only to be given an equally cold replacement. My husbands 'hot' beef sandwich was luke warm & my daughters fish & chips (off the children's menu) came with peas, despite telling the waiter twice, we wanted beans. The waiter who served us was monosyllabic & to top it off got charged £7.80 for a glass of Sauv Blanc! Used to love this place, but won't be back in a hurry. Such a shame.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynndiloulou
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This has been my top local eating and drinking place for years, friendly service if you brought the dogs in for a pint whilst walking the Hils or bringing regular corporate guests of mine for a guaranteed great evening of relaxed atmosphere and top notch food. The Pheasent was the place we benchmarked all others by. We held our breth in anticipation for the new grand opening. Maybe we picked a bad day to go, but mid week, I doubt it ! The place looks nice enough, but now lacks the lovely sofas to just chill and have a drink. Tables have been squeezed in everywhere. So it's sadly no longer a place to drop in for a pint with the dogs. Okay, it's clearly an eating establishment now, that's progress. We visited as we regularly do for a quiet pint and a simple good meal. We were greeted by the manageress who strutted around like a clucking hen, placing us at a table we could not get our legs under, she said yes that often happens at that table ! We were then relocated to the main dining area.
Fifteen minuets later we were offered a drink, "oh you two haven't got drinks" I'll be back !
The food arrived, my normal predictable simple order, it was just okay when it arrived. The Bar girl was lovely and asked us how our meal was. In the background was the manageress wizing up and down making clucking noises, making everybody dizzy, not creating the relaxed atmosphere the Pheasent should have.
Sadly I feel like we have lost a good old friend with visit to the new improved place !
Don't get me wrong, I like change for the good, but the place was not broke, why fix a good thing ?
The now long gone manager Adrian, introduced himself to every new customer and treated them as an old friend when you returned, incidentally remembering there name. Amazing.
So for me, I've lost my fave place !
Progress has lost some of the charm the pheasant once had in the bucketfull.
Give it a go if you have never been before, you won't know what's now missing ! You might even love it.
But in this case, progress sucks !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple