To start on a very positive note my partner and I have stayed at numerous McDonald hotels and have never had cause to complain, to the contrary, we love the chain and continue to use them (Bath Spa booked for next year already!) but found the New Blossom to be truly awful. It was the third McDonald we stayed in on this particular trip having already enjoyed the Roxburgh (Edinburgh) and Gisborough Hall (Yorks) so the bar was very high as both were excellent. The New Blossom is located in the centre of Chester very conveniently located for the shops, bars, eating places and sight seeing venues but is quite tricky to locate due to one way systems and the pedestrian area. Problems strat upon arrival as you cannot park outside the hotel (double yellow lines) and have to struggle with luggae while dodging traffic and parking wardens; this being the case the hotel should provide a conceirge service to help guests upon arrival. The hotel is very busy and does not have the normal 'cut above' feel we have come to expect from McDonalds (a large 'hen party' booked in when we did!), overall the premises are tired, grubby and in need of a refurbishment. The staff, although generally helpful, seemed very young, inexperienced and too busy to provide an individual service. Our room was ok but was at the front of the hotel overlooking the pedestrian precinct - we did not get any sleep on our first night due to the incredibly loud noise of rowdy crowds outside enjoying the nightlife; silence finally fell around 4 am! We complained the following day and were moved to a much quieter 'inside' room with views of fire escapes and drainage systems, but at least we got some sleep that night. Breakfast was chaos, very very busy and disorganised - empty tables were few and far between and uncleared whcih meant lengthy waits each morning. The breakfast itself was ok but served in a dining room that looked more like a bar by staff in uniforms that were absolutely filthy dirty and far too busy to deliver an acceptable standard of service; more down at heel motorway servcie station than up market hotel. The staff were friendly though and did try to help when they could; although skimmed milk was not available for my partner?! We complained to a very helpful duty manager who took herself of to a local supermarket to purchase te milk we needed!? We had a great time in Chester, truly a very beautiful city but, despite the best efforts of some staff, our stay at the New Blossom was a huge disappointment as it fell well short of the standards we have come to expect and enjoy from McDonalds Hotels. So awful was our experience that the same helpful Duty Manager waived the parking fee.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, part of the AA Hotel Group of the Year 2013/14 is a classical boutique hotel in the heart of the historic City of Chester, situated on the famous City Walls and near the Eastgate Clock Tower, said to be the second most photographed clock in England. First opened in 1650, you won't find another more historical hotel in Chester but you will find our hotel's period charm blends perfectly with modern luxury, creating the perfect environment to relax and unwind. Our elegant stylish and flexible function suites teamed with a city centre location, provide the perfect environment for a wedding, conference or event with free, unlimited WiFi powered by The Cloud for every delegate. Our Meeting and event promise will make sure you get the environment and dedicated team to meet all of your needs. When the business day is done, there's no better place for you to retire to than the new 1650 St Johns Restaurant where you'll dine on sensational food using fresh, quality ingredients, topped off with an excellent wine selection and friendly, personal service. Aiming to be one of the coolest new restaurants in Chester, enjoy our personally crafted 2-4-1 cocktails every evening between 5pm-7pm. The hotel has the perfect location to sample all the delights that Chester has to offer including shopping, Chester nightlife, Dee River cruises, the famous Chester Racecourse along with historical attractions such as The Rows and City Walls. A 15 minute trip will take you to the Chester Oaks Designer Outlet or Chester Zoo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, LateRooms, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald New Blossoms Chester
- Hotel Macdonald New Blossoms
- Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel Chester, Cheshire