“The hotel was OK, but I was still disappointed ?”

Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Chester
yorkshire
“The hotel was OK, but I was still disappointed ?”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I don't really know where to start with this hotel, as it was both good and bad.
I think that my problem is that I expected more from a McDonalds hotel(we've stayed in others), and I certainly expected more from a 4* hotel in Chester.
I booked this hotel ONE YEAR ahead of our stay, as it was a surprise to my wife to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary.
Six months before our stay, I happened to be in Chester and called in at the Blossoms to enquire about details regarding breakfast, evening meals and friends coming to celebrate with us, and their dining arrangements.
I had already requested a quiet room at the rear when I booked(one year before), and I restated my request when I popped in six months later. I was also told by the gentleman on reception(an east european gentleman) that there would be a "little surprise" for my wife when we arrived(as a 40th Anniversary present, I presumed).
WE GOT NEITHER A QUIET ROOM AT THE BACK, NOR THE "LITTLE SURPRISE."
When we arrived, the gents toilets opposite reception was floooded and out of bounds, and guests were advised to use the disabled toilets instead. We arrived on the Thursday, and I used the disabled toilets as advised, only to discover that there was NO paper towels to dry my hands with(and no hand dryer), I reported this, but there was still no hand drying facilities available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No matter how many times I reported this, NOBODY DID ANYTHING TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM.
I thought this was very unacceptable. Any half-wit knows that lack of hand washing facilities in a hotel is a recipe for disaster. On the day that we left, I complained AGAIN. Incidentally, all this time, the gents toilet was STILL OUT OF ORDER.

Breakfast was OK, but the waitress had an annoying habit of sitting us down, taking our breakfast order, and then bringing the toast and coffee to the table, which inevitably went cold before the breakfast arrived.
Incidentally, the FULL BREAKFAST could have fit on a side plate - ONE small rasher of bacon, ONE sausage, ONE teaspoon of beans etc etc. YES, it was a full breakfast, just about fit for a dwarf ?

Other gripes - My wife ordered Salmon for her evening meal, and then when no sauce arrived with it, she requested some Hollandaise Sauce. A teaspoon of the sauce duly arrived in a very tiny dish ..... and she was charged £3 for the privilege. THAT WAS JUST SHEER THIEVERY. - Just a blatant rip off.
Most of the restaurant prices were overpriced, and the restaurant itself was not brilliant.

Other than that, the hotel was lovely.
I won't be returning to the Blossoms, as I don't deal with rip-off merchants, and charging £3 for a bit of sauce was certainly a rip-off.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Dollar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at Blossoms Hotel before it became the New Blossoms hotel. Housekeeping seems to have a problem using a duster! As a result we were upgraded. Unfortunately they also appear to have a problem with servicing rooms generally, by 4pm our bed was still unmade.

Parking is definitely a problem for the hotel and is should be made much clearer on the web page along with the terrible road signs which purport to direct you to the city hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank easton_j1
Reviewed 8 August 2011

After reading the negative reviews about the hotel on trip advisor we were apprehensive about booking our stay, however no need to worry as this hotel was perfect for what we wanted.

When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly reception team who checked us in very quickly and even the young manager of the restaurant offered to take our bags up to the room he was very friendly and told us the sites around Chester, you where a great help Sean.
The room was exactly what we needed 2nd floor and you could see the city, also very clean and spacious.
Dinner that evening was scrumptious and service was professional and at the same time it was nice to be able to hold a conversation with the staff, not a wide selection of food but was a nice menu.
We didn't make it down for breakfast unfortunately but enjoyed a quiet morning in the room, check out was quick again and very helpful offering to store our bags for a while.
The only complaint we would have is the heat in the room over night, the young manageress told us this is something that the hotel our changing.
Overall can't wait to come back

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Getawaygroup
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We had a lovely time. The hotel was central and gave easy access to all the main attractions. It is a lovely old building and because of this we were able to open our room window -so much better than the air conditioning of modern hotels. The room was quiet because we were at the back of the hotel. The food was good. Most impressive of all were the staff who were absolutely delightful from the moment we arrived. They were always helpful and friendly and seemed as if they enjoyed their work and were keen to make the hotel successful. We have stayed in many hotels but never have staff been so friendly and cheerful as in this one

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room you probably need to be at the back
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Ignore bad reviews, cant find a fault with this hotel. Hotel is lovely with lovely rooms and close to the city. Staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the general manager Amanda. Check in was quick so was check out. Our room was ready at 1.00pm as I email to explain we were arriving early due to a special occasion. Room service is also quick, which you don't get often I a hotel. Really glad I stayed here, hotel made our night even more special. Will be retuning for sure.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I enjoyed a long weekend with my finacée at the New Blossom Hotel earlier this year in February. It was our first visit to Chester and we booked the hotel using Tesco Clubcard Reward vouchers. Reading some of the reviews I had some concerns, especially regarding noise from the nightclub opposite. Our room was on the 2nd floor room and overlooked the club, but I can honestly say we were not disturbed at all by any noise. Perhaps it was a quiet weekend?

The hotel has a great central location which is ideal for a weekend break. While the room was not what I would call particularly modern in its furnishings, neither was it at all tired, or lacking in cleanliness. The room was of a generous size, with a king sized bed, bedside drawer units, wardrobe, chest of drawers, desk & chair, coffee table, tv and sofa. As can be expected of many city centre hotels, there was a short walk from the nearest car park to the hotel.

We found the staff (both front desk and restaurant) to be friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast comprised of a large, varied buffet of cereals, fruits and pastries with a cooked breakfast served at the table. A more than adequate start to the day.

I wouldn’t hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend and I have to say was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor but thought we would give it a go. We were pleasantly surprised, the staff were really friendly, the rooms were really nice, modern. There was some noise late on outside on the street but it's a city centre hotel so I don't suppose you can get away from that. Breakfast was fabulous. Chester was a beautiful city and the blossoms is a great location to see everything.

• Stayed July 2011