“Great location, room too hot, average food”

Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Essex, England
“Great location, room too hot, average food”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Stayed here for one night prior to a business meeting. The hotel is in a great location in the centre of Chester on a quiet side street. The room was nice and quiet, but the sash window only opened a couple of inches which on a hot July evening was very uncomfortable as there was no air conditioning or other ventilation. I ate in the hotel restaurant and chose the 3 course set menu which was OK but not great (a mushroom lasagne starter was a few pieces of stuffed pasta with a couple of mushrooms and watery cheese sauce added; fish pie was a very thin suace with some small bits of fish; knickerbocker glory had dried fruit and breakfast cereal in it which was odd!) If I had been paying for this stay myself I would have been quite disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Myself and my partner booked this Hotel on lastminute.com as a last minute few days in Chester, the booking process was easy and fine and the hotel was paid upfront.

We where driving to the hotel and struggled even with the sat nav to find the hotel (having to drive through the city center) but got there eventually, there isnt any car parking at the hotel but there is a car park near by (Grovenor Shopping Center) at £10 per 24 hours.

The hotel reception was nice and clean with a small bar to the left and the hotel restaurant to the right, all nicely presented with champagne in coolers left on display.... we had a classic room on the third floor, the hotel lift was a bit "ancient" and only held 3 people or 2 people with luggage (yes that small!) the room itself was satisfactory and had all the furniture you would expect and was clean however all the furniture was dated which might appeal to some people.

During the night I couldnt leave the window open as the noise from the M&S loading bay behind and the clubs was too much, even with the tripple glazing windows I kept getting woken up.

The TV in the room had limited channels most of which where offline because the SKY box didnt have its viewing card, when I called reception to ask why there was no answer?!?!

We had Afternoon tea in the hotel bar one afternoon which was very nice and enjoyed.

The hotel was convienent and right in the city center which is a great location and I would stay there again but dont expect a perfect nights sleep.

Room Tip: We went for the Classic room, next time I think we'll upgrade
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris_brookvilla
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I have stayed in Chester a number of times but usually on the outskirts. I was therefore pleasantly suprised to find a very reasonable hotel within the town walls. Happy days.

Firstly the hotel was very clean, the reception staff on desk could not have been more friendly and the double room I had was exceptional (always remember the price) considering I was a lone traveller. I did not have a meal at the hotel or pay for the breakfast so I am unable to comment on the food.

The reason I stayed in the Centre was because I was late arriving and wanted to go to a couple of Chester's lovely hostelries. I did retire fairly early however was awoken as others have been by a huge amount of noise and shouting at 3.30am as it was kicking out time at a nearby club (this was a Monday as well). The racket went on for at least an hour before everything calmed down.

Personally this was slightly disappointing as it would have been a perfect stay. Two points therefore following others comments:
1) If you want a great central location in such a historic town then, like many others, parking might not be available. I had no difficulty finding somewhere which added to the cost but I had more than budgetted for this when planning the trip. Its advertised on the website.
2) Central location can also mean Central noise and party goers. It comes with the territory and it is unfortunate for the hotel but maybe an issue for Chester authorities to tackle.

Proof of pudding - would I stay here again - yes I would.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank socialentrepreneur
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I have stayed in a few Macdonald Hotels and this led us to book the hotel. It is a city centre hotel, so we didn't expect a great view, and our room looked out on the pipes and extractor fans and other hotel rooms.
It was a very hot week and we asked for a fan which was brought up to the room BUT didn't work, We reported this to the front desk and they said they'd send someone to look at it. No one came that evening, so I again reported the matter. Again - no one came and no fan. I reported it again on checkout! As our room was overlooked, we couldn't really leave the curtains open to let in some fresh air, so we had a very hot stay.
The beds are comfy and the room and bathroom were good sized.
The bar is tiny.
The hotel is in a good central location, but car parking is a big issue.
I was disappointed as I didn't think the hotel delivered quality service. It seemed there were lots of young staff members, but no one to take ownership of problems.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
yorkshire
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I don't really know where to start with this hotel, as it was both good and bad.
I think that my problem is that I expected more from a McDonalds hotel(we've stayed in others), and I certainly expected more from a 4* hotel in Chester.
I booked this hotel ONE YEAR ahead of our stay, as it was a surprise to my wife to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary.
Six months before our stay, I happened to be in Chester and called in at the Blossoms to enquire about details regarding breakfast, evening meals and friends coming to celebrate with us, and their dining arrangements.
I had already requested a quiet room at the rear when I booked(one year before), and I restated my request when I popped in six months later. I was also told by the gentleman on reception(an east european gentleman) that there would be a "little surprise" for my wife when we arrived(as a 40th Anniversary present, I presumed).
WE GOT NEITHER A QUIET ROOM AT THE BACK, NOR THE "LITTLE SURPRISE."
When we arrived, the gents toilets opposite reception was floooded and out of bounds, and guests were advised to use the disabled toilets instead. We arrived on the Thursday, and I used the disabled toilets as advised, only to discover that there was NO paper towels to dry my hands with(and no hand dryer), I reported this, but there was still no hand drying facilities available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No matter how many times I reported this, NOBODY DID ANYTHING TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM.
I thought this was very unacceptable. Any half-wit knows that lack of hand washing facilities in a hotel is a recipe for disaster. On the day that we left, I complained AGAIN. Incidentally, all this time, the gents toilet was STILL OUT OF ORDER.

Breakfast was OK, but the waitress had an annoying habit of sitting us down, taking our breakfast order, and then bringing the toast and coffee to the table, which inevitably went cold before the breakfast arrived.
Incidentally, the FULL BREAKFAST could have fit on a side plate - ONE small rasher of bacon, ONE sausage, ONE teaspoon of beans etc etc. YES, it was a full breakfast, just about fit for a dwarf ?

Other gripes - My wife ordered Salmon for her evening meal, and then when no sauce arrived with it, she requested some Hollandaise Sauce. A teaspoon of the sauce duly arrived in a very tiny dish ..... and she was charged £3 for the privilege. THAT WAS JUST SHEER THIEVERY. - Just a blatant rip off.
Most of the restaurant prices were overpriced, and the restaurant itself was not brilliant.

Other than that, the hotel was lovely.
I won't be returning to the Blossoms, as I don't deal with rip-off merchants, and charging £3 for a bit of sauce was certainly a rip-off.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dollar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at Blossoms Hotel before it became the New Blossoms hotel. Housekeeping seems to have a problem using a duster! As a result we were upgraded. Unfortunately they also appear to have a problem with servicing rooms generally, by 4pm our bed was still unmade.

Parking is definitely a problem for the hotel and is should be made much clearer on the web page along with the terrible road signs which purport to direct you to the city hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank easton_j1
Reviewed 8 August 2011

After reading the negative reviews about the hotel on trip advisor we were apprehensive about booking our stay, however no need to worry as this hotel was perfect for what we wanted.

When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly reception team who checked us in very quickly and even the young manager of the restaurant offered to take our bags up to the room he was very friendly and told us the sites around Chester, you where a great help Sean.
The room was exactly what we needed 2nd floor and you could see the city, also very clean and spacious.
Dinner that evening was scrumptious and service was professional and at the same time it was nice to be able to hold a conversation with the staff, not a wide selection of food but was a nice menu.
We didn't make it down for breakfast unfortunately but enjoyed a quiet morning in the room, check out was quick again and very helpful offering to store our bags for a while.
The only complaint we would have is the heat in the room over night, the young manageress told us this is something that the hotel our changing.
Overall can't wait to come back

• Stayed July 2011