“Checked out after 1 night”

Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Checked out after 1 night”
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

Booked here for a business trip. Location is great, but this place is not good for American business travelers. I was ok with the hotel but my coworkers hated it. No car park, no free wifi, no free breakfast, and no air conditioning. Your only option is to keep the windows open-- which is not great considering there are 3 bars with late licenses on the street. On a Sunday night / early Monday morning, there were people partying/yelling/singing outside on the street.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Seaham
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Spotless room,two free maps (i lost the first) Mega bed,Staff that even offered to come to the car park to help with my bags,Chesters shops at the end of the street,check out Corks out wine celler if you like wine,Great fresh cooked breakfast with staff that could not be more helpful, if this hotel had its own car park the price would go though the roof thanks for a great trip

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Droylsden, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This extremely pleasant and friendly hotel is ideal for a short break in Chester. The staff were very approachable & courteous, they could not do enough for you as a guest. All the hotel staff treated you as a friend. The breakfast was excellent and well presented & served once again to a very high standard. We would recommend this hotel most highly if a stay in Chester is on your agenda. Four star rating with a five star service!! The hotel is situated very close to the Eastgate Clock (aka the Chester Clock).

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the hotel which had a little late night noise from the Red Door club w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed with my husband for our wedding anniversary, got off to a bad start. Arrived at 3pm to be told room would not be ready for forty minutes, as I had asked for superior room and they only had a couple, didn't understand this as an excuse, as I pointed out my booking stated the room would be ready for 2pm. However after asking to speak to the manager we were offered complimentary afternoon tea and free wifi use while we were waiting (there is a £10 charge for this). Very satisfied with resolution. Room was lovely, bath robes in plastic bags lovely and fresh, new slippers, tea and coffee making facilities which were topped up the next day, bottles of water, room was pristine, it was a pleasureable experience. Fantastic position, right in the heart of Chester,did so many things, but highlights were - round the corner from Primark! Went clubbing across the road at Cruise again complimentary admission as staying at the Blossom. Breakfast was very satisfying and plenty to choose from, locally sourced produced on offer. We old clubbers had a fantastic weekend and would love to stop at the Blossom again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2012

BOOKING – Booking was done through my company’s reservation agency. And a quiet double room was requested for two nights at a cost of £73 per room per night with full English breakfast.

PAYMENT – I was charge £2.00 for using a credit card and will be reporting this through my employer. I also had three other colleagues staying for the second night of my stay and each of them was charged a different room rate (more expensive for same type room) and had to pay for breakfast on top. Again this will be checked out through our employer.

ACCOMODATION – Upon arrival I was given a room at the back of the hotel which was extremely gloomy, had a noisy fan running outside the window and the bathroom windows very very mouldy. If I had to stay in this room I had made my mind up that I was going to checkout and leave.

Lenny the receptionist handled my complaint well and found me a room at the front of the hotel but advised that they issued room at the back due to the potential noise from student revellers.
My new room (211) was better and acceptable for the two nights, although it still had a number of shortcomings. The door showed signs of being broken into with the wooden architrave broken on the door surround to the lock and handles side and now did not shut without pulling or pushing it home – not good for security! It was also painted a different colour to the rest of the door and surround. The remaining decor was good except for the woodwork which was tired and there were brown stains on the ceiling.

The bathroom had a fresh modern appearance and was acceptable. However, in the morning I could not get hot water out of the tap and so resorted to a bath. The bath was a lovely treat, until I realised I could not turn off the hot tap!

I experienced no noise at night, but kept the windows and secondary glazing closed. These by the way need a jolly good clean. But by keeping the windows closed it made the rooms very hot – maybe that why there was a fan in the wardrobe! Other equipment: Iron and ironing board, trouser press (on last legs) tea and coffee making facilities.

There was a big gap under the door to the public hall and I found it necessary to block out the light with a couple of pillows.

BREAKFAST – Anything cold was self-service and hot was freshly cooked. The first morning was good. The second morning the cooked breakfast was not nice – dry and the cooking fat repeated on me all day and service was sooo slow...

DINNER = Enjoyable but expensive £25.50 for steak chips, half a tomato and one mushroom, plus sticky toffee pudding with one ball of ice-cream. Bottle of water - £4.95.

LOCATION – The hotel is located in the centre of town near to the bridge in the city walls with a clock. Next door to the hotel is a pub. Around the corner in the other direction was the Grosvenor Hotel – now that looked nice!

OTHER: No pool or anything to do as a solo female traveller.

THE FUTURE – Would I stay there again? NO I WOULD NOT. I shall try The Abode next time.

BROWNIE POINTS – LENNY, he handled issues very well and was helpful for tourist information.

Room Tip: I will pass on this one!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Breaktaker
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I booked this hotel for my partner's 40th birthday with another couple and expected "the works". The website is very misleading as it classes itself as a Spa Hotel!!! How wrong ... The check in was slow and they couldn't find our friends booking. We asked where the Spa was and they said they didn't have one but we could use the sister hotel spa which was 20 MILES AWAY!!!! I had rang a week earlier to ask for a wine bucket and glasses with it being a special occasion but on arrival there was nothing in our room and when we booked it with reception we had to wait a good half hour for the wine bucket. The only good thing about the hotel was good location and friendly staff in the restaurant and bar area. I have stayed in better hotels in Chester for less money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joanne B
Stockport, UK
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My partner & I stayed here with another couple for 1 night after a day at the races. The website leads you to believe the hotel is a Spa Hotel...it isn't! Having packed our leisure/swim stuff and asking at reception where it is...we were told there isn't one at that particular hotel, but we were more than welcome to use the nearby sister hotel...20 miles away!! The check-in was slow and our details could not be found. The room was NOT 4 star, it was small, the bathroom was tiny and the water in the shower was not particularly hot. Our room was situated on the 2nd floor directly above the entrance to a nightclub....the visitors of which shared their shouting and leariness with us on their way home at 3am!!! The staff in the restaurant/bar were lovely, very helpful and attentive. The breakfast was ok - not sure about 4 star. In all, I have had better stays in 3 star accommodation and the Macdonald Blossoms Hotel needs to remove "Spa" from its description and maybe be more accurate on the website. The video of the spa etc in the reception probably isn't the best thing to show either, especially finding out its actually 20 miles away! Will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple